The Student Room Group

Can nobody see the potential of the Far Right in Britain?

Yeah yeah I know they get bad press for being racist, inbred and thuggish etc. But that's just an unfortunate portrayal by the liberal media (and EDL threads on TSR). Nick Griffin did far better on Question Time than anyone probaby ever expected him to. And just look how well the Dutch Gert Wilders and the French Jean-Marie Le Pen does in their own countries where they enjoy a high degree of respectability and legitimacy.

Frankly all it would take is a few well spoken intelligent people to take up the cause then it's matter of time to reach critical mass.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by The-Real-One
Yeah yeah I know they get bad press for being racist, inbred and thuggish etc. But that's just an unfortunate portrayal by the liberal media (and EDL threads on TSR). Nick Griffin did far better on Question Time than anyone probaby ever expected him to. And just look how well the Dutch Gert Wilders and the French Jean-Marie Le Pen does in their own countries where they enjoy a high degree of respectability and legitimacy.

Frankly all it would take is a few well spoken intelligent people to take up the cause then it's matter of time to reach critical mass.

"that's just an unfortunate portrayal....." No, its really not. A racist is a racist, you don’t need the media to put a spin on that one.

Geert Wilders, respectability and legitimacy? Yes maybe amongst Islamophobes and bigots, but generally not amongst the vast majority of his fellow citizens.
Reply 2
Lets hope they don't get a decent leader then.
Reply 3
I disagree - if you look back at 20th century history, and even further really, but especially in the 20th century, radical parties have never really enjoyed that much success here. There's been the occasional person, but generally, we're far too moderate as a whole for extremism to take hold here.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the BNP will never get a seat, or that radical parties have no support, just that the majority of people in this country are not attracted to radical politics.
Definitely not.

In France they have a list system which makes it easier for more extreme parties to gain votes. FPTP really makes it next to impossible.

There are more than a few 'well spoken intelligent people' in the BNP, yet they've never had much success.

They've never had a seat in Westminster, in fact the closest they've come to gaining a seat is something like coming 40% in several wards in the 2006 election.

They occasionally win a mass of councillors (Oldham 2001, Burnley 2001) and people worry, but there's always VERY specific reasons why they win in these areas.
Always, areas with BNP success have a combination of three factors:
-Higher than average levels of inequality
-A sizeable ethnic minority community
-Widespread political alienation
-A localised trend.

Let's look at two case studies:

Burnley- The BNP polled over 10% of the vote in 2001, and in 2002 became the areas biggest party with 7 councillors.

Incidentally, it was very high on the deprivation indice (37/354), had very extreme political alienation and partisan deallignment (the local Labour party collapsed at that time, and the other parties had almost no presence, Tories only fielded 9 candidates!!), and a sizeable ethnic minority community, as well as local issues (in this case, a feeling of unfair treatment between wards with higher Asian communities compared to the 'whiter' ones). With these conditions, the BNP was able to exploit the situation and get in.

Barking and Dagenham - 2006. 12/52 council seats. Same story really; increasing unemployment and high deprivation, high political alienation from the Labour party, very little competition from other parties, a local issue (in this case housing shortages) and a sizeable ethnic minority community (in this case, the amount of ethnic minorities rose from 5.6% in 1999 to 23% in 2010). The BNP did very well.

Barking and Dagenham - 2010. They did TERRIBLE, and lost EVERY seat. Why? One of the conditions was no longer satisfied - in this case, political alienation.
Margaret Hodge, the Labour MP, led a MASSIVE campaign and the area was flooded with antifascists like Searchlight, as well as a big Labour presence. People don't want to vote for the BNP, they do it when they feel they can't vote for a mainstream party. As soon as the mainstream parties reassert themselves in these areas, the BNP totally fail.

The BNP only do well in areas of political decay, as well as the other 2 factors - people rarely vote for the party because of racism, they do say because of no alternatives. The BNP only do well in areas with the exact climate, when one's missing, they fail (compare Barking in 2006 and then 2010. Housing issue remained, poverty remained, the ethnic community rose, but political alienation declined and the BNP thus lost everything).

The BNP have never had any success in wealthier wards/constituencies. I highly doubt they will ever win anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I think the far right should get into power. Would love to see the subsequent war erupt between East and West. It's long past time that White people know how it feels to be beaten, occupied and oppressed.

This isn't racism, it's realism. It makes sense. The only reason Whites think they are superior to everyone else is because they've never been beaten by Non-Whites. Once that changes, all the arrogance that comes with White identity will go out the window.

It's the only way to create a true, real equality in the human race.
Reply 6
Original post by Yawn!
This isn't racism, it's realism. It makes sense. The only reason Whites think they are superior to everyone else is because they've never been beaten by Non-Whites. Once that changes, all the arrogance that comes with White identity will go out the window.

I think Hannibal sorted that one out about 2000 years ago.
Reply 7
Maybe if the government managed immigration properly there wouldn't be this problem. They stand idly by and let mass uncontrolled immigration happen, spewing millions of immigrants (many of whom don't even speak the language) into already crowded urban areas, so of course there are going to be problems, especially when you end up with ghettoisation. Hwo can we call the country 'multicultural' when most of the time immigrants just huddle into their own ethnic groups, isolate themselves and only live near and associate with people of their own colour?

A melting pot is supposed to be where people of all nationalities live side by side, as it was in New York. The government should use more joined up thinking when it comes to immigration. If you're going to move thousands of immigrants into a neighbourhood, make sure there are sufficient services and infrastructure there first, like housing, schools, hospitals, shops, etc. Without that you end up with chaotic overcrowded ghettos where poverty & crime are rife and racial tensions are bound to flare up. Nobody objects to immigration itself, it's mass uncontrolled immigration that is the problem.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8

Completely disagree with your post but I just thought I'd say that your Adele signature wrenched a guilty laugh from me. :colondollar:
Reply 9

It says a lot that very few well spoken intelligent people take up their cause.
Reply 10
Original post by Aj12
It says a lot that very few well spoken intelligent people take up their cause.

They obviously haven't met me lol.

I think I would like to do it for the lulz in the future.

If they'd had the internet in the late 20's and early 30's, there would probably have been threads on the lines of "Can nobody see the potential of the Far Right in Germany?" Posted mostly I'm sure by good, honest, misguided people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Well, misguided or not, the current system is failing catastrophically isn't it. We are in effect being ousted from our own country and being ordered to listen to our morally and intellectually "superior" leaders, who want us to tow the line until its both too late to do anything about it and they are good and rich...

I sometimes wonder about the motivations of those white British people that are forever telling other white British to constantly see everyone elses point of view. If they think that it will earn them any clemency, when for example the Muslims take over, then I believe that they are dramatically mistaken.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Clip
I think Hannibal sorted that one out about 2000 years ago.

Hannibal was of mediterranean ethnicity (Phoenician) Latin(Poeni) originating from the area of modern day Lebanon. He was not a sub saharan African"King" riding around atop an African elephant as some black power organizations would have us believe.

Oh and by the way.....he lost!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
The problem is a lot of right-wing people feel oppressed because whenever they try to hold a conferance or anything it is crashed. This leads to a seige mentallity which isn't helped by the whole 'Muzzies coming over here' *******s.

The extreme right-wing are a real threat in the UK, but people just dismiss them all as idiots.
Reply 15
Original post by flugelr
The problem is a lot of right-wing people feel oppressed because whenever they try to hold a conferance or anything it is crashed. This leads to a seige mentallity which isn't helped by the whole 'Muzzies coming over here' *******s.

The extreme right-wing are a real threat in the UK, but people just dismiss them all as idiots.

But Muslims ARE coming over here in massive numbers, replete with their jealousy of the West and their hate filled agendas. Please dont expect anyone to rejoice in the fact that the country which is our birthright has been handed to all manner of foreign invader.

The extreme right are a threat? Who to? Ahhh, whats the use. Its money that runs this and all other countries and theres nothing anyone can do about it.
(edited 13 years ago)
the extreme left has been in power for a while now.........

open borders. crippling welfare state. 'hug a peaodophile murderer' justice policies. sex education for 5 year olds. islamificiation. institutional christ hate. institutional white hate. wind farm madness.......

i don't think a far right party would or even could do any more damage to the fabric of british society......
English conservatives sound just as dumb as American conservatives X.x Maybe every country needs a good-ol' right wing party to laugh at :}
Reply 18
Original post by humanrights
the extreme left has been in power for a while now.........

open borders. crippling welfare state. 'hug a peaodophile murderer' justice policies. sex education for 5 year olds. islamificiation. institutional christ hate. institutional white hate. wind farm madness.......

i don't think a far right party would or even could do any more damage to the fabric of british society......

What rubbish - most industry in London is private and has not been nationalized, as would be the case in an 'extreme left' society.
Reply 19
Original post by magnum.opus
English conservatives sound just as dumb as American conservatives X.x Maybe every country needs a good-ol' right wing party to laugh at :}

Not really. The Tories are more like Obama than Sarah Palin, and Labour would be the evil communist party to most Americans. American right wing is far more hilarious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending