The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angger
I'm not twisting your words. I'm in pre-law so it might actually be in my nature :P
I'm going to an entirely new major and school though next fall. Pre-law sucks (at least in my country it does)

I honestly think that sexuality is not only about vaginas and penises though. There's more to it. There's physical attraction of course, chemical attraction, psychological attraction, and such. Sexuality is way too complicated than just penis or vagina. I mean some people actually like to cuddle and/or prefer to cuddle than to have an actual sex. Others just like the attention and affection of their lovers.

Yes but surely these chemical reactions stem from emotional triggers in the brain, endorphins and such, just as are released through exercise which make you feel good.

Could it be that a man finds a vagina repulsive, well not only the vagina but his view of it as it is integral to mating and therefore this causes psychological alterations in his own brain about his sexuality, which then causes confusion?

Due to this confusion, the fact he finds women repulsive due to a phobia, he thinks he's homosexual.

Its certainly a possibility in my opinion that phobias play a part.

For example, if I were a virgin. I have a phobia of penises so for years and years through school I think I'm straight. I then at 18, still a virgin, go out to a club for the first time, meet a girl, take her home thinking this is going to be my moment, what could possibly go wrong. Then as she undressed I feel sick due to my phobia of vaginas also. Therefore, due to my phobia of penises I assumed I was straight and engaged in a heterosexual experience with a girl not bearing in mind that I may be asexual.

In my opinion, chemical reactions due to phobias could be the cause of so much sexual confusion.
Original post by kopite493
how so....

in its simplest form is it not that the best genes are being past on....

if so those genes can still mutate

Mutations are survive if they are of benefit to the individual/to the survival of the gene. Admittedly we have made some progress past that with regard to disease, but there is no reason to believe a "gay gene" would survive (assuming people stick to their sexuality - which is not necessarily a given).

It is clear that homosexuality is a mixture of genetic predisposition and environmental stimuli which leads to a degree of mosaicism, which in turn determines where you are on the gay/straight spectrum. It is nowhere near as simple as "genes can still mutate".
Reply 22
this is the most stupidest idea i ever heard of.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Evidence?

:facepalm:

Nice doctoring work there.

If you read and quoted the whole sentence instead then you'd get an accurate response, however, you haven't so therefore I am no longer going to address your points and will address those who respond in a more intelligent, mature and civilised manner.

Thank you.
Reply 24
Original post by Selkarn
You're looking into it too much. One thing I always thought is that homosexuality could never exist within genes, due to natural selection.

This made me laugh, thanks. How exactly does natural selection rule out homosexuality being, at least in part, genetic?
Reply 25
No I'm afraid of penises and I'm a straight female. I might be afraid of them but that doesnt make me start liking vaginas. Gay people are just plain attracted to their own sex, nothign to do with being afraid of anything.
Reply 26
Original post by Arnotts
No I'm afraid of penises and I'm a straight female. I might be afraid of them but that doesnt make me start liking vaginas. Gay people are just plain attracted to their own sex, nothign to do with being afraid of anything.

I agree with you, as some homosexual men are able to have sex with women, they just prefer not to. Gays are gays because they're attracted to people with the same sex, not because they are afraid of vagina. I think the thread starter's analogy of bungee jumping or skydiving is rather irrelevant to sexuality. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Maybe there are some people who have phobias to penises or vaginas and therefore they're confused about their sexualities, but as for the majority gay people they are gay because they simply like people from their own sex. That's all.

EDIT = So, majority homosexuals are not just sufferers of eurotophobia. They are gay because they are GAY.
Or as Gaga says, They're gay because they were born this way baby :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Um no. The very thought of the emotional side of a relationship with a woman makes me want to throw up. Nothing to do with vajayjays.
Its surprising that ignorance of that level is allowed on a TV health show.
Original post by Selkarn
You're looking into it too much. One thing I always thought is that homosexuality could never exist within genes, due to natural selection.

Biology fail.
Reply 30
There haven't really been many studies proving that phobias will 'trigger' homosexuality in other people. I actually think it's an interesting idea but ask any homosexual and they will probably tell you it was their romantic interest and excitement in people of the same sex when they were younger rather than 'I was going down on a girl and I saw an inverted flesh monster that wanted to swallow me whole so I now prefer penis'.
Yes, I think you may have just discovered what makes people gay. Why on earth didn't anybody think of this before :rolleyes:.
Reply 32
I'm not scared of vaginas.

In fact I imagine them to be a quite comfortable place to leave my penis should I so wish. :wink:
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
This is a serious question and is no way an insult. I saw this on a health TV channel last night and was intrigued as I'd never heard of such a phobia before.

Basically, Its a phobia of vaginas. So I was wondering if homosexual men are really just suffering from this phobia. As they have this phobia they are then obviously repulsed by vaginas and therefore assume they are homosexuals.

Then, I wonder if homosexual women were sufferers of Phallophobia, a fear of penises.

Surely, this could be the case? Especially considering neither of these phobias are actually heard about in the media so a large proportion of the global population are likely to be unaware of such phobias.

I'm not homophobic in any way, Its a serious question and if it comes across as an insult then I do apologise in advance.

I'm sure that the majority of homosexuals are because they are attracted to the opposite sex but surely its also likely that there is a small percentage that are suffering from these phobias. For example; those that go through a phase or those that say they are confused about their sexuality. Maybe, these phobias are the reason for their underlying confusion.

Discuss Please!

not really, being homosexual means they love people of their own sex, not because of the fear of privates
Reply 34
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
No its not at all.

Stop twisting my words.

If someone generally has a fear for something then they will not do it. I have a fear of heights and I would never do a skydive or anything of the kind.

Its quite possible that a phobia of vaginas/penises sets off confusion about sexuality which then makes those people explore other sexual options available.

No one is saying anything derogatory whatsoever.

Also, thinking about it, it could work the other way round.

A man may have a phobia of penises and assume he's straight. However he then has an encounter with a woman and then dislikes vaginas too. Therefore he is asexual. However, due to him being initially repulsed by penises he immediately assumed he was straight and would like vaginas, not considering he could be asexual, especially seeing as many people do not know of asexuality.

So are you suggesting that sexuality is a choice - just that the ~94% of people who aren't LGBT simply haven't explored their sexuality? And are you suggesting that asexuals are afraid of both sets of genitalia, rather than the more commonplace definition of asexuality, where the asexual individual simply lacks the interest or desire for sex.
Reply 35
No they're gay because they like Penis.
Reply 36
People who are scared of vaginas are pussies.
Original post by Mad Vlad
So are you suggesting that sexuality is a choice - just that the ~94% of people who aren't LGBT simply haven't explored their sexuality? And are you suggesting that asexuals are afraid of both sets of genitalia, rather than the more commonplace definition of asexuality, where the asexual individual simply lacks the interest or desire for sex.

a phobia doesn't have to mean afraid, it can simply mean that they find something repulsive just as homophobic people are not scared of gay people, they just find the idea of a person being gay repulsive. They have a negative attitude towards male/female genitalia.

Phobias are also a common form of anxiety disorders so they do not have to be fearful of female/male genitalia but simply find it repulsive.

I think to some extents that sexuality is a choice. The reason being many many people who regard themselves as straight have had fantasies or desires related to those of the same sex. This was brought to light on the same programme. 79% of 50,000 people surveyed in America who regarded themselves as straight often had thoughts about the same sex. These people do have a choice to act upon their same sex desires but may not due to how they feel others will judge them. I feel a lot more of the population is actually bisexual than is let on, however, some are more homosexual, some are more homosexual and its the dominant sexuality that takes over.

I also suspect there are many gay men out there who have pretended to be straight. They could come out as homosexuals but rather than do so they pretend to be straight just so they conform to the ways of society, which unfortunately as I've already stated can at times be extremely narrow minded.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Why is everyone attacking the OP? He simply said that eurotophobia could be the reason behind a smaller percentage of people being 'confused' about their sexuality, he even stated in his post that it's obviously not a reason behind homosexuality.
Original post by allura
Why is everyone attacking the OP? He simply said that eurotophobia could be the reason behind a smaller percentage of people being 'confused' about their sexuality, he even stated in his post that it's obviously not a reason behind homosexuality.

thank you!

someone who understands my point :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending