The Student Room Group

What do you think of guys who never visit the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by sleekchic
Except strength training has a lot to do with fitness and it can also be fun.

Don't let your insecurity cloud your ability to think logically.

If this thread has achieved anything, it is in demonstrating that the motivation of gentlemen frequenting the gym is to "man up", become the "alpha male" and improve their confidence with women.

I feel no need to do any of these things. If I was insecure, surely, it follows, I would feel such a need and subsequently visit a gym?

But please, Don't let your lack of intelligence cloud your ability to post logically inconsistent **** on the internet
Nothing especially springs to mind except for "they propbably have more time than people who go to the gym" XD

Tbh I'd be a bit of a hypocrite to judge guys based on this alone.
Original post by Anti Elephant Mine
We're on an internet forum. Not exactly the best place to find people that do actually exercise or go to the gym. Which means the general opinion on this matter is going to be swayed by the several internet posters who do valuable little else with their time and simply can't be arsed to exercise. "Oh I don't go to the gym, so it must be gay/waste of time/pathetic" is all I'm seeing from the majority of posters in this thread. If you can't be bothered to maintain a healthy lifestyle then ****ing admit it rather than trying to force a negative spin on this whole 'fitness' business because you simply aren't motivated enough like the rest of us.

Oh, and sorry, but women are naturally more attracted to more muscular males, even if you try to convince yourself you're not.

its hilarious how much people hate on others who lift and keep in shape, just because they're so ****ing insecure
Original post by bertstare

zyzz disapproves of this thread

sup misc brah

Zyzz is worth looking at. His head, features, shoulders, and torso have a size that attracts attention; their proportions to each other made an effect which in any male at any place would justify more than the term handsome - in his later years, he is likely to become to be known beyond his local world, the word "Roman" will be used in descriptions of him.

His legs bore out the striking and agreeable proportions of his body; and his lightness on his feet, his erectness, his easy bearing, add to the impression of physical grace and virility. His suppleness, combined with his bigness of frame, and his large, wide-set rather glowing eyes, heavy black hair, and markedly bronze complexion give him some of the handsomeness of an Indian. His courtesy as he surrenders bodybuilding advice to fellow miscer's suggests genuine friendliness towards all mankind. His voice is noticeably resonant, masculine, warm. His pleasure in the attentions of the bootblack's whisk reflect a consciousness about clothes unusual in an Australian man. His manner, as he bestows a tip suggested generous good-nature, a wish to give pleasure, based on physical well-being and a sincere kindliness of heart.
Original post by Mr Disco

You clearly have no idea of the benefits of strength training in sports and in everyday life, and you clearly don't know the difference between strength training and bodybuilding. Try to educate yourself before you make yourself sound like an idiot.
Most guys I know visit the gym, most are also nerds and would drewl over Crysis 2 running on insane graphics mode.

The fact that people like us beat you in justa bout everything cannot be masked by simply calling us meatheads, you're not a winner, DEAL WITH IT.

Haters gonna hate.
Original post by basketofsnakes
sup misc brah

Zyzz is worth looking at. His head, features, shoulders, and torso have a size that attracts attention; their proportions to each other made an effect which in any male at any place would justify more than the term handsome - in his later years, he is likely to become to be known beyond his local world, the word "Roman" will be used in descriptions of him.

His legs bore out the striking and agreeable proportions of his body; and his lightness on his feet, his erectness, his easy bearing, add to the impression of physical grace and virility. His suppleness, combined with his bigness of frame, and his large, wide-set rather glowing eyes, heavy black hair, and markedly bronze complexion give him some of the handsomeness of an Indian. His courtesy as he surrenders bodybuilding advice to fellow miscer's suggests genuine friendliness towards all mankind. His voice is noticeably resonant, masculine, warm. His pleasure in the attentions of the bootblack's whisk reflect a consciousness about clothes unusual in an Australian man. His manner, as he bestows a tip suggested generous good-nature, a wish to give pleasure, based on physical well-being and a sincere kindliness of heart.

Aww, someone has a man-crush.

His hair looks stupid. Everything about him looks stupid.
Obviously this thread has turned into GYM VS NON GYM.

Personally, I think reading a book does more good for you than spending hours running into a wall.
Reply 268
Original post by AMorgan26
You clearly have no idea of the benefits of strength training in sports and in everyday life, and you clearly don't know the difference between strength training and bodybuilding. Try to educate yourself before you make yourself sound like an idiot.

Here follows a list of reasons why you are wrong, do enjoy:

1. The primary motivation for visiting the gym is not "strength training". Ask most people, and they will say things like "to improve confidence with women", "to get bigger" or simply "to look hench". Don't believe me? Look back over this thread.

2. Depends on the sport. Clearly. Most sports do not require religious lifting of weights.

3. The "everyday life" benefits of lifting weights, as opposed to say, doing a sport, going for a jog or reading a book have yet to be made clear by anyone on this thread. I propose that the majority of people who spend their hours lifting weights would be far better off reading something. I suggest the excellent Biff, Chip and Kipper series as a starting point.

4. I do educate myself, on proper things, instead of going to the gym. This has yielded far greater "everyday life benefits" than the pointless lifting of bits of metal.
Reply 269
If you can't find Biff, Chip and Kipper... I'd recommend the Roger Red Hat series. My personal favourite in the series was always Billy Blue Hat. Blue being my favourite colour.

Hope this helps.
I can't afford the gym atm. Am I going to hell?
Reply 271
Original post by jaydoh
I can't afford the gym atm. Am I going to hell?

No, you're just going to be a virgin for the rest of your life.
Original post by Rybee

What so all girls like beefcakes do they? Quite the contrary I think you'd find.
Reply 273
Original post by rachelkeira
Personally I'm going through a phase of loving the 'buffed up' body type, which sucks because guys like that are generally out of my league...
However in the past, it hasn't put me off, and I'm sure most other girls wouldn't care either.

:lolwut: That seems unlikely
Reply 274
Original post by jaydoh
What so all girls like beefcakes do they? Quite the contrary I think you'd find.

In the mind of a beefcake... yup! If you don't eat steroids for breakfast and eat an entire battery farm of egg whites for dinner, you may as well get out of their way.
Reply 275
Original post by AskMeAnything
Obviously this thread has turned into GYM VS NON GYM.

Personally, I think reading a book does more good for you than spending hours running into a wall.

Depends what you wanna do in life tbh.
Original post by Rybee
In the mind of a beefcake... yup! If you don't eat steroids for breakfast and eat an entire battery farm of egg whites for dinner, you may as well get out of their way.

Big chest and no space between the ears and all that? :smile:

Like one guy on here. You'd think he'd try to dispel the myth that all weightlifters are airheads but no, he doesn't. He plays to the stereotype if anything :rolleyes:
Reply 277
Original post by Rybee

I lol'd :awesome:
Reply 278
lol - Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the gym in the summer to get rid of my buddha belly inherited through uni life. But it's the ego of 'gym goers' that really irritates me. When they're out they just take life so seriously, walking around with their chest puffed out like the world owes them a favour.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't have time for that... It's embarrassing.
Original post by Mr Disco
Here follows a list of reasons why you are wrong, do enjoy:

1. The primary motivation for visiting the gym is not "strength training". Ask most people, and they will say things like "to improve confidence with women", "to get bigger" or simply "to look hench". Don't believe me? Look back over this thread.

Whats wrong with that? How is it differenr from people wanting a new haircut or wearing nice clothes

2. Depends on the sport. Clearly. Most sports do not require religious lifting of weights.

Sprinters lift weights
Cyclists lift weights (the speed **** they do in the olympics)
Pretty much any other olympic sport
Rugby players
Football players
Basketball players
Even weightlifting itself is its own sport, powerlifting / olympic weightlifting
The list goes on. Look up pretty much any athletic sport and you will find at the elite level they will probably lift weights.

3. The "everyday life" benefits of lifting weights, as opposed to say, doing a sport, going for a jog or reading a book have yet to be made clear by anyone on this thread. I propose that the majority of people who spend their hours lifting weights would be far better off reading something. I suggest the excellent Biff, Chip and Kipper series as a starting point.

Being able to deadlift 500lb makes lifting that 200lb box you cant lift a lot easier.
It teaches you to lift properly.
Helps preven back pain, hip pain, knee pain that comes with old age etc
Makes you harder to kill (srs, there is an article somewhere, that basically says strength training makes you harder to kill

And reading a book, go for a jog is not mutually exculsive to lifting weights. Weightlifting only takes a few hours a week, yet you get **** loads of benifits from it

4. I do educate myself, on proper things, instead of going to the gym. This has yielded far greater "everyday life benefits" than the pointless lifting of bits of metal.
You're and idiot

See bold, also:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending