The Student Room Group

Is anyone here NOT planning on doing a typical 9-5 job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by IceWater
I think people who love their 9-5 jobs are lucky... little risk, (relatively) short hours and a job they love! But the thing is, I've rarely come across someone who genuinely loves their job. And I don't mean tolerate e.g. "I love numbers and I'm focussed so I love accountacy". So someone who manages to find a 9-5 that they truly enjoy is in a great spot. I have met a dance teacher (gf's cousin) who seems really content with life as she loves her job and the hours are great and the pay is okay. I think that's better than doing a job you hate and getting paid 5x as much.

Anyway... what's your field out of curiosity?

100% of shift workers I know despise their job/hours compared to the 9-5 workers, it's really awkward to make plans etc.
Also, I can't stand people who complain about they're job and then do nothing about it. I didn't like what I used to do, mainly because of the awful pay, so I'm now studying for a degree in computing, because it was the other thing I was good at and I've realised just how passionate I am about it.
Currently a trainee server administrator/software developer/web developer and I'm off to work for a huge software company that I've wanted to work for for years now.
Some people yawn when they hear computing or IT, but for me it's huge fun and there's always something new to learn and I find it really interesting. Plus it's a big plus that it's a very well paid field and the people I've met through work experience are happy to pass on their knowledge to juniors.

(edited 13 years ago)
Create my own job, the majority of people can't think outside the box and are just raised to believe go to university = good job.

Nope.

Pity.
I've been doing an arts administration internship the last 5 months, which is slightly extended office hours plus some evenings and weekends for concerts and special functions. I'm far too ill for full-time work any time in the near future but it's something I could see myself doing one day :smile:

Other plan is academia, which obviously isn't office hours :biggrin:
I'm currently doing a course in prostitution, so that'll probably be my career choice.
I'd love to have a job where I travel tbh, even just around the UK, and not necessarily the world, but the world would be preferable. That'd probably be various hours, but I love going places.
9-5 is only a backup plan. I want to work for myself.
Original post by lonelykatana
My name is Ethan. I want to work 3 days a week as a pilot and have 4 days to do what ever the **** I feel like. I will have a decent salary of £70k+, weill be able to afford a lovely car, support the family and you never know, a Tuscan holiday. Really want that Tuscan holiday god damn it!

If you're talking about commercial airline pilots, it is one of the most unrewarding and most lamented jobs.
Reply 127
Well, I wouldn't consider teaching as a typical '9-5', but I get your point.

I think the reason that a lot of people tend to go for 9-5 jobs is that it's much more secure than an atypical job. For example, take a musician - you could make it big and earn £Million Billion, but you're far more likely to never really go anywhere. A standard job gives you a comfortable middle ground with a decent salary and stable expectations, which, if you're risk averse, you'll prefer over the huge uncertainties associated with certain atypical jobs.

Also, perhaps the supply of 9-5 jobs is much larger than atypical jobs, but I haven't any statistics to support that.
Reply 128
Original post by thegodofgod
Me - being a doctor means I probably won't have those hours :tongue:

Like doctors, as a nurse I won't be working 9-5 :biggrin:
****ing hope I don't have to work, and just do whatever I like. 9-5 jobs seem pretty depressing, for me.
Reply 130
software engineering, i'm sure it'll be longer than that..
Reply 131
I plan to do a 9 to 5 but in reality I secretly want to own my own business. Not gonna happen though.
I want to work from 5 to 9.
Original post by IceWater
I've only heard people talking about doing the usual 9 to 5 jobs after graduating from University (or finishing College).

Is there anyone here who has hopes of pursuing something different or atypical afterwards? It can be anything...

Musician, professional athlete, biker, starting their own business, busker, pro poker player... it can be anything!

What are you planning to / hoping to pursue?

edit: Okay I know 9-5 isn't the best word. What I meant is anyone planning on doing an "atypical" job, one that isn't commonly used like "banker" or "accountant" or "nurse" etc.

I'd quite like to go into the Armed forces as a medical officer after I graduate then use the gained experience in conflict medicine I would hopefuly get from the Army to join Medicines Sans Frontiers, or the WHO.
Reply 134
Original post by chidona
Well, I wouldn't consider teaching as a typical '9-5', but I get your point.

I think the reason that a lot of people tend to go for 9-5 jobs is that it's much more secure than an atypical job. For example, take a musician - you could make it big and earn £Million Billion, but you're far more likely to never really go anywhere. A standard job gives you a comfortable middle ground with a decent salary and stable expectations, which, if you're risk averse, you'll prefer over the huge uncertainties associated with certain atypical jobs.

Also, perhaps the supply of 9-5 jobs is much larger than atypical jobs, but I haven't any statistics to support that.

Ditto, I think I mentioned in the second page typical jobs are "low variance" and atypical risky jobs are "high variance". I completely understand the viewpoint the 9-5 jobs are a lot more secure and less risky (comparitively). Though for me, I see my career as my life really, you spend probably a 1/4 of your life or more in your job (unless you're IB where it's more like 1/2!). I feel like I'll get bored doing a similar thing every day 9-5.

However for those who say they don't mind doing a 9-5 job they can tolerate and then have the other 5-6 hours to do whatever they want, then that's cool as well. In the current economic climate, having a secure job is great!!

Original post by Teaddict
Ten till three is my ideal working hours.

Pro athlete? :o:

Original post by DH-Biker
I wont be. :colone:

Big WC race every month between April and September, British Downhill Series races every so often too, then Euro-Championships too.

Then there's photo-shoots, sponsorship contracts, other smaller competitions.

I wont be doing any 9-5 job unless its at a race day. :wink:

Wow nice, a pro-athlete! I genuinely think in the world, pro-athletes have it by far the best. They work relatively short hours a day (apart from competition days / match days, where it's hardly work) and get decent money if they're good enough. And best of all you're doing something which you'd do in your spare time! And they're adored by loads and get plenty of females :wink: Perfect job in my opinion, you agree? How often do you have to train?

Original post by viksta1000
Yeah, i want to go into investment banking which is more like a 5-9 job :frown:

Wow IB is a formidable job! I'm doing a maths degree next year so I've considered it, but after researching it there's no way I have the stamina to do it! It's pretty much consumes your life for 3 years until you move onto something else :o:. I respect anyone who goes into work everyday with enthusiasm, I can only think about how tiring it must be. Models and bottles though!

Original post by Spikeooa
The sooner you realise that you are an arm chair adventurer from a middle class family and need a slap, the better. The sooner you realise that will never sell more than 5000 albums, will never start a business making cakes or cute cushions or whatever you art students like doing, or that mammy and daddy will eventually stop funding you around Thailand and Africa, the better. Get a career, get a house, get a fit bird and use all your spare time you have worked hard for to do the things you enjoy paid for with money you have worked hard for. Work hard now, and play even harder later.

I do see your point, realism is probably best in this economic climate. It's definitely my plan B, but I consider a career to take over most of your life, so I want to really do something I enjoy (which is most likely an atypical job), instead of doing something I find tolerable or mediocre, and then spending the rest of my time pursuing something I enjoy when I could have done it in my job!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SteveCrain
If you're talking about commercial airline pilots, it is one of the most unrewarding and most lamented jobs.

Im talking about gerbil love.
They dont call me gerbilmclovin for no reason
Reply 136
Also a lot of people have mentioned working at home, I think that's a decent ambition as well; my uncle works at home and always rants and raves about how much better he is than everyone who has to commute every working day :o:. It must be really comfortable though!

What sort of careers involve working at home. He's a computer security consultant but I guess you can work at home doing other stuff as well. Translator maybe?
Not in this lifetime (props to anyone recognizing the reference).

Plans are for freelance work.
Original post by Kodias
Chances of this happening are probably quite slim but I'd love to be able to work from a laptop and earn enough to fund travelling abroad.

Exactly what I do now....but I am also a student on top of that.
Thats the pla but we'll see what happens. I currently work normally 5am-2pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending