The Student Room Group

Study Abroad year (USA), what financial help can I get from Student Finance England?

Hello strangers,

I am currently at a London uni with a study abroad offer for the USA. I would like some information to what financial help I can get, especially from individuals who have been through this.

I would be paying UK tuition fees, not US fees. I also heard you get a travel grant of sorts...
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
So which university is it you'll be studying at in the USA?
Is it pure study, or a work placement?
Full year or half?
Reply 3
Original post by Taiko
So which university is it you'll be studying at in the USA?
Is it pure study, or a work placement?
Full year or half?

Uni. of Illinois UC, full year study abroad, no work involved
Reply 4
You'll be entitled to a maintenance loan at a slightly higher rate than you normally get, fee loan payable to your UK university, and subject to an income assessment help with travel costs and a maintenance grant.
Reply 5
Original post by Taiko
You'll be entitled to a maintenance loan at a slightly higher rate than you normally get, fee loan payable to your UK university, and subject to an income assessment help with travel costs and a maintenance grant.

Is this the same for study abroad in the middle east? I am going to the ME for my Year abroad September.... and currently I get the full support available. Would I still get the higher rate, do you know? :biggrin:
Reply 6
If you are studying at an overseas university, and it is an integral part of the course, then yes.
Reply 7
Original post by Taiko
If you are studying at an overseas university, and it is an integral part of the course, then yes.

Awesome! Do you know if there is a particular 'name' for this extra help for overseas studies? I.e, what do I ask for, when I call student Finance? I heard that this is discretionary and not automatically given

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending