The Student Room Group

Law on Sixth form (asked this in another thread somewhere but would like to ask direc

Law on Sixth form (asked this in another thread somewhere but would like to ask directly here) Basically could I apply being 19/20 at the time of course to my old schools sixth form within the school since it was a good working environment and I’m thinking of doing A levels?
Yes, why not?
Original post by manchild007
Yes, why not?

Well basically was not sure if it was even possible due to child protection since its part of a school.
Child Protection?

You're only 19; that shouldn't matter at all I would have thought.
Original post by manchild007
Child Protection?

You're only 19; that shouldn't matter at all I would have thought.

Would be 20 at the time of going but fair enough just a friend suggested to me i couldnt even apply.
Unless you happen to be something like 30, why on earth would child protection have anything to do with it? Even then, its only when you working with children that child protection is considered.
Reply 6
We have a few in our sixth form who have re sat around 3 times and are now in their 20s
Reply 7
You can, but personally I'd advise against it. It might have been a good working environment for you 4 years ago, but going back at 20 is a bit odd.

If I was you I'd look into 6th form colleges - you get a broader age range there and it would be a new start for you. It's a more relaxed atmosphere normally as well. School 6th forms often require you to go in businesswear and not be allowed to leave the site on your free periods and stuff liek that
Original post by The_Goose
You can, but personally I'd advise against it. It might have been a good working environment for you 4 years ago, but going back at 20 is a bit odd.

If I was you I'd look into 6th form colleges - you get a broader age range there and it would be a new start for you. It's a more relaxed atmosphere normally as well. School 6th forms often require you to go in businesswear and not be allowed to leave the site on your free periods and stuff liek that

To be honest I was thinking about exactly this, but if anything I found college far too lax, the tutors didn’t care work was graded late, handed out late, etc. if anything college undid my own work ethic. As for the rules and regulations surely they will be more flexible with adults who come from other working environments in regards to dress codes and leaving the sites, as for free periods never really had them in college more the tutors just telling us to leave half way through a day. I’ll look into 6 form colleges but don’t really know any round here.
Reply 9
Original post by Sylar2010
To be honest I was thinking about exactly this, but if anything I found college far too lax, the tutors didn’t care work was graded late, handed out late, etc. if anything college undid my own work ethic. As for the rules and regulations surely they will be more flexible with adults who come from other working environments in regards to dress codes and leaving the sites, as for free periods never really had them in college more the tutors just telling us to leave half way through a day. I’ll look into 6 form colleges but don’t really know any round here.

I doubt they'd be more flexible tbh, because it would spark unrest in the other student if you were allowed to leave just because you were older, especially in the 18 year old people.

Sounds like it wasn't a great college - my college experience was very good, tutors always handed work out on time and marked it quickly. I have heard some stories about btecs not being run as well as a levels though.

What area are you in, there should be a good 6th form college somewhere - although if you were hoping to start this September you'd have to bung and application in pdq
Original post by The_Goose
I doubt they'd be more flexible tbh, because it would spark unrest in the other student if you were allowed to leave just because you were older, especially in the 18 year old people.

Sounds like it wasn't a great college - my college experience was very good, tutors always handed work out on time and marked it quickly. I have heard some stories about btecs not being run as well as a levels though.

What area are you in, there should be a good 6th form college somewhere - although if you were hoping to start this September you'd have to bung and application in pdq

Clearly it wasnt run well then. And sadly the biggest college provider on the wirral is the one i went to. Its really put me off doing another college course. I assume pdq is pretty darn quick. I was kind of thinking if i went back to my old school I could just arrange and interview or somthing (shows you what kind of mindset colllege got me into)
Original post by Sylar2010
Clearly it wasnt run well then. And sadly the biggest college provider on the wirral is the one i went to. Its really put me off doing another college course. I assume pdq is pretty darn quick. I was kind of thinking if i went back to my old school I could just arrange and interview or somthing (shows you what kind of mindset colllege got me into)

If you think going back to school is right for you then you could always try to arrange it. Personally, I couldn't stick it out.

Which college did you go
Wirral met rubbish I mean it was a case of pop in 20mins late and then wait for the tutor to finish there coffee. Now im not sure what to do if you intrested The Goose you may want to see my backgroud to all of this here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1600476

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending