The Student Room Group

Waxing/Hair Removal

Heya,

For the 6 months, I've been regularly getting my legs/bikini line waxed and On the run up to the summer as we are now, I've suddenly become painfully aware of how quick my hair actually grows back. I've heard the general rule of time between waxings is six weeks, but I'm now at three weeks since my last wax and I'm already uncomfortable showing my legs- although they have become finer, they're still very dark and the only place that appears to have lost any hair is the back of my legs, leaving me with hairy shins and ankles!As for wearing a bikini bottom? Pah! The hair there has grown back so quickly I probably have a week's 'usage' out of that one!

So, is it simply a case of getting waxed more often? It seems ridiculous, as my hairs are only about 1cm in length so I'm not sure about the pick up rate that I'll get. How often do you get waxed? Should I switch to a different method for my bikini line? I really don't like the idea of shaving as I have tried that before and suffered horribly with shaving rash, stubble and so on.

Help!

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried an epilator? :smile: Great way of keeping on top of it, you dont have to leave it as long as you do to wax!
Reply 2
Original post by Jellybean91
Have you tried an epilator? :smile: Great way of keeping on top of it, you dont have to leave it as long as you do to wax!

I was tempted, but I don't really have enough money to buy one in the hope of it working, and then having wasted the money should it not be right for me. Might look at reviews and such...
Ive saved so much money with it! Spent 40 quid on it and havent had to buy a wax strip for about 2 years :smile: Its painful at first but everyone i know who has one swears by it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by skunky x
I was tempted, but I don't really have enough money to buy one in the hope of it working, and then having wasted the money should it not be right for me. Might look at reviews and such...

I definitely recommend getting an epilator. Any will do tbh, there's only so much variance in how they work! Philips are good, or Braun, though a cheaper brand will do the job too. They work like waxing, in that the hair is pulled from the root, but you can do it whenever you want rather than having to make an appointment :P And you don't have to wait for all the hair to grow back; you can get hairs as they come through. :smile:

I don't see why one wouldn't be right for you tbh. It'll work cheaper in the long run too!

edit; here you go: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HP6509-Satinelle-Sensitive-Attachment/dp/B002BA5FCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302445004&sr=8-1 It's a good make and reduced loads so it's cheap!It probably won't hurt too much for you to epilate either as you're used to waxing, but even if it does at first you get used to it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jellybean91
Ive saved so much money with it! Spent 40 quid on it and havent had to buy a wax strip for about 2 years :smile: Its painful at first but everyone i know who has one swears by it :smile:

Not going to lie, the pain thing really puts me off- the only reason I've been able to wax is because I haven't been doing it to myself, so I don't wuss out- a beauty therapist just goes and does it regardless of the pain! What would you put it on as a scale of pain compared to waxing? Even on the bikini line?
Reply 6
Original post by ily_em
I definitely recommend getting an epilator. Any will do tbh, there's only so much variance in how they work! Philips are good, or Braun, though a cheaper brand will do the job too. They work like waxing, in that the hair is pulled from the root, but you can do it whenever you want rather than having to make an appointment :P And you don't have to wait for all the hair to grow back; you can get hairs as they come through. :smile:

I don't see why one wouldn't be right for you tbh. It'll work cheaper in the long run too!

Yeah- they do sound perfect, but I've been put off with horror stories of it being agonising! How painful would you say it is compared to waxing? Is it more painful on the bikini line? Does it gradually fade like with eyebrow plucking?
Original post by ily_em

Original post by ily_em
edit; here you go: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HP6509-Satinelle-Sensitive-Attachment/dp/B002BA5FCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302445004&sr=8-1 It's a good make and reduced loads so it's cheap! It probably won't hurt too much for you to epilate either as you're used to waxing, but even if it does at first you get used to it.

I have one very similar to that and have just used it today :yep:

They really are the way forward! I've never waxed so can't comment on the pain comparison, but you do get used to it (like eyebrow plucking)

Seriously OP, get one :p:
Reply 8
Yeah- they do sound perfect, but I've been put off with horror stories of it being agonising! How painful would you say it is compared to waxing? Is it more painful on the bikini line? Does it gradually fade like with eyebrow plucking?

Mine came with an ice pack which I used for the first few times to numb the pain, but I don't use it any more. I don't find it hurts at all on the legs or underarms; you definitely get used to it over time. It's just a prickling sensation tbh. Bikini line isn't too bad but slightly more painful :P The good thing is you can do a bit at a time, and come back later if you find it too painful :smile: It probably won't be too bad for you either as you're used to waxing...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I have one very similar to that and have just used it today :yep:

They really are the way forward! I've never waxed so can't comment on the pain comparison, but you do get used to it (like eyebrow plucking)

Seriously OP, get one :p:

It is growing on me. Might pop into Boots later and have a butchers- That one that was recommended earlier, the Phillips one, is on offer... Plus it will be a cheaper alternative to waxing...
Reply 10
It is growing on me. Might pop into Boots later and have a butchers- That one that was recommended earlier, the Phillips one, is on offer... Plus it will be a cheaper alternative to waxing...

Let us know how it goes!
Reply 11
Original post by ily_em
Mine came with an ice pack which I used for the first few times to numb the pain, but I don't use it any more. I don't find it hurts at all on the legs or underarms; you definitely get used to it over time. It's just a prickling sensation tbh. Bikini line isn't too bad but slightly more painful :P The good thing is you can do a bit at a time, and come back later if you find it too painful :smile: It probably won't be too bad for you either as you're used to waxing...

Going to Boots later so will look. And then will subject myself to torture tomorrow perhaps...! Just worried about my thighs. They are particularly hairy as I only wax the bottoms regularly, the tops are summer time only!
Reply 12
Original post by ily_em
Let us know how it goes!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-Satinelle-Soft-Total-Body-Epilator-HP6509-01-/320680422693?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item4aaa0aed25#ht_500wt_949

Id buying this gross or saving money? If what she says is true, I'm not too adverse to the concept, especially if I wash it as well. But would have to wait for it...
Reply 13
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-Satinelle-Soft-Total-Body-Epilator-HP6509-01-/320680422693?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item4aaa0aed25#ht_500wt_949

Id buying this gross or saving money? If what she says is true, I'm not too adverse to the concept, especially if I wash it as well. But would have to wait for it...

I guess not, just make sure it's really clean :P But only if you get it for like £20 or something, since a brand new one is £27 on Amazon...

And thighs are more painful than my calves for some reason (not that painful though). Probably cos I don't do them as much...
Reply 14
Original post by ily_em
I guess not, just make sure it's really clean :P But only if you get it for like £20 or something, since a brand new one is £27 on Amazon...

And thighs are more painful than my calves for some reason (not that painful though). Probably cos I don't do them as much...

With waxing it's always my ankles that make me tear up XD
Epilators are really good. If you can cope with the pain of waxing then you should be fine with the pain of epilation too. I find it doesn't hurt much anyway.
Reply 16
I can recommend the Braun Epil Silk Xpressive range.
Reply 17
Original post by seasons of wither
so its ok to use an epilator on bikini line? im worried it would kill :/

Well I can assure waxing doesn't hurt as much as one would imagine, and these guys are comparing it to waxing so meh...
i agree, definitely get an epilator. before id go for a full leg wax every month/2 months costing £17 each time. i bought the silk epil epilator for £100 (i had a £20 one once and it was terrible and so painful) and its a lot more cost effective. The make i got doesn't hurt at all cause it massages my leg as it epilates so i dont feel it as much; this way i get to do it whenever and wherever! i use in on legs and bikini line and after youve done your legs, your body gets used to it so the bikini line really doesnt hurt that much.
Reply 19
Original post by sweetlemons
i agree, definitely get an epilator. before id go for a full leg wax every month/2 months costing £17 each time. i bought the silk epil epilator for £100 (i had a £20 one once and it was terrible and so painful) and its a lot more cost effective. The make i got doesn't hurt at all cause it massages my leg as it epilates so i dont feel it as much; this way i get to do it whenever and wherever! i use in on legs and bikini line and after youve done your legs, your body gets used to it so the bikini line really doesnt hurt that much.

They've got an offer on at Boots, so hopefully I can get an expensive one on the cheap!

Quick Reply

Latest