The Student Room Group

Is having a degree a disadvantage to finding a job?

Do retailers reject job applicants if they are a graduate? (over qualified)

Say if during the christmas period, when temp recruitment starts, do employers favour students and non-graduates over graduates?

cheers

Scroll to see replies

if anything, a degree is an advantage to finding a job? :/
Reply 2
I'm not trolling, I had the problem the whole of last year where I was being rejected for being overqualified for checkout jobs...
You could just send in a CV that doesn't include your degree on it to mundane jobs?
Reply 4
Original post by Student00009
You could just send in a CV that doesn't include your degree on it to mundane jobs?

I think this will be my best option, thanks
Original post by bestofyou
Usually when you hear over-qualified I thought you always got the job, or get offered a better position?

You seriously believe that is true?
Reply 6
whats your degree in.

Never knew there was such a reason for rejection as being over-qualified. Usually when you hear over-qualified I thought you always got the job, or get offered a better position?

Over-qualified means they won't offer you the job beacuse you will be unsatisfied with it.
Reply 7
Funny that, I was 'over-qualifed' for the job that I'm currently on my break for.

My sister is also currently working on a production line, she was told she was 'over-qualifed'

SO STFU

So how did you two get the job then:curious:?
Reply 8
Original post by spocckka
So how did you two get the job then:curious:?

Maybe, just maybe, now i could be wrong, so like.. chill ok?But like.. it might be like a tiny bit possible, like that a degree totally isn't a disadvantage. Dont freak out or anything.
Reply 9
In my experience, yes, it can definitely happen. At work we've have quite a few applicants for basic £13k-£16k jobs who have Masters degrees, and we rarely shortlist them. I know when they hired me they were a bit wary that I wouldn't be satisfied and would leave quickly (even though I didn't even have a degree at the time, but am doing one part-time) but apparently I convinced them otherwise, haha.
Funny that, I was 'over-qualifed' for the job that I'm currently on my break for.

My sister is also currently working on a production line, she was told she was 'over-qualifed'

SO STFU

I don't dispute that.

All I wondered is if you really believed that if you were over qualified you just automatically got the job or a better one!
Original post by beefmaster
I don't dispute that.

All I wondered is if you really believed that if you were over qualified you just automatically got the job or a better one!

In fairness, I wasn't very clear. What I meant was you would get the job ahead of others who are less qualifed when interviews etc aren't taken into consideration. Not you get the job because you have a degree and nothing else matters
I have found this to definitely be the case.

I am taking the year out between my undergraduate and postgraduate studies, meaning I'm going back in September, so I've just been temping while I wait for a cushty-sounding interim job to come along, since it's not urgent I start a career right now.

EVERY temp-to-perm opportunity I've had they've been like "but you're a graduate... why do you want to work here?"

Erm, because it's easy as **** and it pays the same as most grad schemes, maybe? (I don't actually say this to them of course, because if I did it would be obvs why I'm not getting any jobs, haha)

I never get any permanent non-graduate work, and I'm sure that's why. I never act snobby when I'm there or anything, they just look at my CV and change their opinions of me.

SO STFU

Nah, seriously pal it's true.

I know people who've been rejected from McDonalds and the like for being overqualified.

If they think you're only using the job as a temporary stepping stone to something you're more qualified for (i.e. working at McDonalds until you get a graduate job you've applied for) they wont want you.

Unless the position is temporary, they don't want to keep having to hire someone.

High staff turnover isn't good.
It's hard, but I think you just have to be honest.

Last September my job disappeared and so I decided to do an MSc. To keep some income I started to apply for Saturday jobs. A whole host rejected me because I have a degree and four years experience as a scientist. *shrugs* In the end I was honest. I told them all that I wanted part-time work while studying for a year, and that after that I would be searching for work in my field and running away as soon as I could.

I ended up with three offers after that. :smile: And the one I took is brilliant. It's catering/hospitality work where they only seem to hire people with degrees/students. They want people who are quick, educated, can hold an interesting conversation with customers, but that they can pay just over minimum wage to. So I mostly work with people like myself.

So yes, it's hard. But you will find something. Lying on a CV (by omission if nothing else) is likely to bite you in the arse later on.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Nah, seriously pal it's true.

I know people who've been rejected from McDonalds and the like for being overqualified.

If they think you're only using the job as a temporary stepping stone to something you're more qualified for (i.e. working at McDonalds until you get a graduate job you've applied for) they wont want you.

Unless the position is temporary, they don't want to keep having to hire someone.

High staff turnover isn't good.

Ahh, well that explains why my sister got the job even though they wrote in their interview letter she was over-qualifed.
Ahh, well that explains why my sister got the job even though they wrote in their interview letter she was over-qualifed.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure if a very impressive candidate convinced them they were overqualified but this is the job they want, then they'd be happy.

However, it certainly does happen that overqualified candidates are overlooked because they're expected to leave if something better comes up.

Why hire someone who could leave when something better comes up when you can hire someone who will stay because they're in the best job they can feasibly get with their qualifications?
Reply 17
A friend of mine was told by an agency not to include her degree on her CV because they expect graduates to leave without thought if something better comes along. They know they're normally just applying for a bit of temp income.
Reply 18
Now I'm concerned about the gap in my CV if I don't include the degree :/ any advice?

Imagine if someone graduated 10 years ago and applied for a Mcdonalds job, they would reject the applicant? Seems silly.
Reply 19
whoever says they didn't get the job because they are 'over-qualified' chat the most shiit ever!! u probably didn't get the job because of your face if we had to tell the truth......retailers if anything will take on graduates because they know that you'll be more likely to stay at the business and work your way up .....

face facts you didn't get the job because of the way you look and act...looooooooool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending