The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on arranged marriages?

Note: I said "arranged" and not "forced".
If it's a matter of just introducing and hoping, I don't see much of a problem. However, when the people involved are under significant pressure, not okay. Also, a lot of women go into it seemingly willingly because they feel they HAVE to because of their culture, and end up miserable.
Reply 2
Worked for most of my family. Just thankful I'm not having one though.
Reply 3
Original post by meenu89
Worked for most of my family. Just thankful I'm not having one though.

Why?
Reply 4
Original post by Limitless
Why?

Because I met the man I'm going to marry of my own accord (he isn't the same race or religion as me). I was told that if I didn't meet anyone by 25 I was having an arranged marriage.
(edited 13 years ago)
Personally I wouldn't mind having one, you'll know you'd end up with someone of the same/similar culture, background, beliefs, social status, financial status etc as yourself, your parents would obviously approve as they arranged it, and as you'd both be similar people you should have a lot in common. Also, over time I think people will get to know each other and 'grow to love each other', as long as you're fairly tollerant lol. :smile: They also seem to have a higher success rate than non-arranged, but there may be other factors affecting this. The only problem is that you run the risk of an abusive relationship where it'll be harder to get out of (due to marriage) than if you were just dating, for example.
Reply 6
Bizarre.
Reply 7
Original post by Saluki-Sake
Personally I wouldn't mind having one, you'll know you'd end up with someone of the same/similar culture, background, beliefs, social status, financial status etc as yourself, your parents would obviously approve as they arranged it, and as you'd both be similar people you should have a lot in common. Also, over time I think people will get to know each other and 'grow to love each other', as long as you're fairly tollerant lol. :smile: They also seem to have a higher success rate than non-arranged, but there may be other factors affecting this. The only problem is that you run the risk of an abusive relationship where it'll be harder to get out of (due to marriage) than if you were just dating, for example.

See, in my relationship we're different cultures, backgrounds, beliefs, social status and financial status, but...that's why it's so fun. XD It's nice to have different aspects of life to share and discover. *A Whole New World plays in the background*

The success rate is, I think, taken as "those who do not get divorced" rather than "those who are happy".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending