The Student Room Group

Univerties in the UK

Ok, so I'm going to uni in the UK most likely in September as I have 5 conditional offers but I was just wondering as in terms of friendliness and nightlife which out of these cities is the best? Nottingham, London, Leeds, Newcastle or Manchester?

I was also wondering what people am I going to find in each city. For example, are they all going to be from Nottingham in Nottingham or will you get a fair amount of Londoners there or from other parts of England and so on ... I'm probably not making any sense to you LOL but I swear I do in my head.

I currently live in Barcelona so I was wondering if the weather really is that bad all year round. I don't want to give up the Spanish sun!!!

Thanks guys xoxoxo
Reply 1
No one will have gone to uni in all of those 5 cities, so good luck getting a solid answer.
Reply 2
Yeah but they might have visited ... I didn't ask about the uni's reputation or anything, just what they think about the people and nightlife.
Reply 3
If you don't ant to give up the Spanish sun, don't leave Spain. None of those places will get prolonged periods of very good weather, neither will they get prolonged periods of very bad weather... But that's more relative.

In each place you'll get a mix of people. London will be more multicultural and generally massive, but that's the nature of the place. None of them are 'bad' places to be, or bad unis, each just offers slightly different things.

Personally, I'd go for Manchester, but I'm biased.
Reply 4
All are big student cities, so there won't be a lack of nightlife in any of them. London will have the most because of the sheer size of it, but the main city will be massively expensive in comparision. I've only ever liveed in London though. But I've spent time in Newcastle and Leeds, and if I'm honest it's hard to make any distiction between the two. The character of the city shows much more in the daytime, so I'd suggest that that would be a better way to judge. Almost every student city will have a large handful of clubs, pubs and bars who will ntake advantage of the students with cheap student nights. The same goes for London, but you do have to travel more to find them...

London will have the most diversity, although Newastle and Manchester aren't far behind. In a student city, you'll come across people from all over. The UK is so small that there not a significant varation in the weather, although the winters are a little harsher up north- which I think is a good thing because you get a nice amount of snow to play in rather than drizzle and slush down here :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by libby_xo
Ok, so I'm going to uni in the UK most likely in September as I have 5 conditional offers but I was just wondering as in terms of friendliness and nightlife which out of these cities is the best? Nottingham, London, Leeds, Newcastle or Manchester?

Newcastle is well known for its nightlife and friendliness. It often ranks number one in the UK for nightlife, and amongst the best in the world. But, in reality, all of those cities are major cities so will be able to offer anything you want and need.

London isn't "unfriendly" as such. I'm sure people there make no deliberate attempt to be unfriendly (and, being such a large city, it is composed of so many different areas that it is difficult to generalise) but central and inner west London (Bloomsbury, Westminster, Kensington) is just very busy. Being a capital city, it is very "rush rush". I can't speak for the universities, however. I see no reason why students at London universities are any less friendlier than those at other universities.

I wouldn't describe Leeds or Manchester as unfriendly. Been to Manchester many times (Leeds only a couple) and never experienced any problems.

For example, are they all going to be from Nottingham in Nottingham or will you get a fair amount of Londoners there or from other parts of England and so on

There will be people from across the UK, as well as plenty of international students. There will be people from the local area but these will be the minority.

I currently live in Barcelona so I was wondering if the weather really is that bad all year round. I don't want to give up the Spanish sun!!!

Yes, the reason why the British sought to create an empire stretching all four corners of the world was to escape the rubbish weather (and poor food :p: )

Manchester is the wettest of the cities, being in the west, with London and Newcastle the driest (I think they're both slightly drier than Leeds - possibly wrong though). Newcastle and London will be drier than many Spanish places during the winter month.

Newcastle is well known for its cold weather but, in truth, there has been just as much, if not more, snow and coldness in the south east than in Newcastle in recent winters. Besides, winters are becoming increasingly mild and more like autumn. The previous two winters being the exception.

In reality, the temperatures in Newcastle are broadly similar to the rest of the east. You're only talking a couple of degrees difference. It's all the same climate system wherever you are in the country. It's not like we have proper differences in climate that many other countries do (e.g. Australia, Russia). With Newcastle you just often have a cool wind briging temperatures down a degree or two. But this isn't to say there are days when Newcastle is warmer (it was one of the warmest places in the country for a day last week). The weather across the east of the country is, by and large, quite comparable.

The weather is just quite changeable. So wherever you are be prepared for consecutive days of sunny, "warm" weather. Then for it to turn overcast again for a few days. Or to have rain, sun, cloud (and possibly more) in a 10 hour period.

But be prepared for plenty of overcast, grey skies, I'm afraid.

The UK does have a mild climate, especially considering its location (it is warmer than other countries of a similar attitude to to the North Atlantic Drift) but it doesn't have a Med climate for obvious reasons.

The past few days have been lovely though.

Quick Reply

Latest