The Student Room Group

For those who believe Psychology is a "soft subject"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone see that program on BBC1 the other week? It was about an Oxford professor, she was explaining about Biology and Psychology and how they work together. Very interesting, worth a watch but I can't remember the name of the program :/

People who put down subjects that they don't understand are just ignorant. If you haven't done it, don't belittle it :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
First off Psychology is not considered as a science subject so that should give you a hint... Then it's the fact that (I'm guessing cz I didn't do Psychology) Psychology stuff are stuff to do with our brain and that's basically biology, like serotonin, dopamine levels and so on.
Original post by BradfordCityJoss
What is scientific about conjecture and mysticism?

Newton conjectured about gravity, "The force is proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them."

Newton was also into mysticism, religion, alchemy and a whole lot of other bat **** crazy stuff.
Reply 23
Original post by vedderfan94
Stop trying to make Psychology sound difficult. All the retards take it so that is why not all the results are As. If you want a challenging science try Physics or Chemistry.

If we're talking about the A-level, then yeah it's a pile of crap, but that doesn't mean psychology in the real world is.

Original post by Legen...dary!!
First off Psychology is not considered as a science subject so that should give you a hint... Then it's the fact that (I'm guessing cz I didn't do Psychology) Psychology stuff are stuff to do with our brain and that's basically biology, like serotonin, dopamine levels and so on.

It IS considered a science -__-
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by J_90
If you haven't done it, don't belittle it :rolleyes:

Hmm, by that reasoning I can't belittle murder.... :facepalm:
Reply 25
To be fair, all the dumb kid at school take it. At ALevel it's a dropout's subject, that's probably why it has poor results nationally.

I took it because I had a genuine interest in it. It's a doss subject.
I do Psychology and the 3 sciences and although I don't consider Psychology a science, it really does irritate me as to how much memorisation is involved. Give me Physics/Chemistry anyday. Although in our Psychology class, still, the smarter people got A's whereas the rest of them got D's/C's.
Original post by Noodlzzz

If we're talking about the A-level, then yeah it's a pile of crap, but that doesn't mean psychology in the real world is.

It IS considered a science -__-

This is what I learned: there are three sciences, physics, chemistry and biology. And anyway unis don't like it so there you go,
Oh for God's sake this (and similar threads) happens all the time, so let me sum it up for you.

People who take Psychology

"Psychology is hard, it's scientific"

GodspeedGhenna

"Psychology is not hard, I hate the subject and I hate myself for doing it at degree level"

I'msoacademic

"Psychology is a meaningless subject as the only subject that means anything is Cambridge Maths"

The balanced view of the majority

"Psychology is part science, part humanity. It's not the hardest A-Level in the world, but it isn't the easiest. Some people find it easy, some people find it hard"
Original post by maturestudy
Newton conjectured about gravity, "The force is proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them."

Newton was also into mysticism, religion, alchemy and a whole lot of other bat **** crazy stuff.

Well I'd like to see you prove that statement wrong. You clearly don't even understand what Newton conjectured.
Nothing of that is to do with psychology. Go read about what it actually is before you criticise it.

In fact, go read about the origins of consciousness in the cerebral cortex where it's possibly derived from modalities within the visual and olfactory system and the binding of information through neural oscillations of synaptic threshold in action potential localising within the cerebral cortex. Then tell me if a) you even understand and b) psychology is not a science.

Hmmm. Perhaps people would respect the subject more if students taking it didn't have to restort to jargon to get their point across...
Reply 31
Original post by maturestudy
Hmm, by that reasoning I can't belittle murder.... :facepalm:

Yes, because I was obviously talking about crime there:facepalm:
Reply 32
This is what I learned: there are three sciences, physics, chemistry and biology. And anyway unis don't like it so there you go,

Those are the natural sciences, doesn't mean psychology isn't a science.

Yes they do, not considered traditional but it's getting more respect, plus Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St.Andrews and UCL offer it as a degree.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
And anyway unis don't like it so there you go,

Bull.
Additionally

Those who take Chemistry, Physics or Maths, such as Vedderfan...

ITS NOT A PROPER SCIENCE HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY SUBJECT BY CALLING IT THAT DO YOU REALISE HOW MUCH WORK I HAVE TO DO I ONLY DO PROPER SCIENCES ITS NOWHERE NEAR AS HARD AS C4 MATHS PSYCHOLOGY IS A RETARD SUBJECT
Original post by im so academic
Lots of memorisation =/= "hard" A-level

Again:

Lots of memorisation =/= "hard" A-level

Basically write a coherent essay including studies and criticisms? Not that bad.

And 3+ pages in 25 minutes? I write faster than that.

Many reasons for this:

*People couldn't be bothered to revise
*Chances are people who do Psychology are those of a "lower academic nature". [That's not to say those who are doing Psychology are not academic, but are more likely to contain "those type of people" compared with subjects such as Further Maths]
*Fundamental flaw - there has to be a proportion that receives each grade. They skew grade boundaries to allow only a certain percentage to have the top grade (or something to that effect - don't quote me on this).

OP: You presented Psychology A-level as basically writing a few essays in the allocated time and just heaps of memorisation. You're not helping the matter.

Hmm i am not too sure about your first comment, many very capable people in my school (multiple oxbridge candidates are currently taking it too).
Reply 36
Original post by Lily Academia
Hmmm. Perhaps people would respect the subject more if students taking it didn't have to restort to jargon to get their point across...

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it is Jargon. In fact, if anything it shows that psychology isn't just 'common sense' or Derren Brown tricks.
Reply 37
It's just because it's a newer subject, like media studies or english language. I don't think it's fair, but I do think psychology is a lot easier than other humanities subjects, for example Philosophy.
Original post by nuodai

Original post by nuodai
Bull.

Guys honestly I don't care what you think. I'm just saying what I believe and I stand by it.

Then why do most unis count Psychology as a science subject in entry criteria?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending