The Student Room Group

Should I do Maths A-Level?

I'm in year 10 and I finish Maths GCSE in June, I'm working at a low A. But I'm doing it a year early, and with practise I think I could get A* by next year, as I will be spending a whole other year learning it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it is up to you, it is whether you enjoy it or not and whether you want to pursue it in the future

good luck ^-^
If you enjoy Maths, then I do not see why you should not do it. :smile:
I love it... When I can do it. When I can't... I dislike it. I don't want to do a degree in it or anything, its just "opens doors" when it comes to degree options, I.E computer science.
Reply 4
Maths is required for a lot of degrees nowadays; what are you thinking of doing at university?
Reply 5
If you have any desire whatsoever to do a computer science degree, do maths, and further maths if you can manage it.
Reply 6
it is your choice remember, many people choose do A level maths (like me (; i am starting it next year)

we can say if we find it a difficult subject, but at the moment, i wouldnt worry too much yet and make your decision next year
Original post by Groat
Maths is required for a lot of degrees nowadays; what are you thinking of doing at university?

Computer science, Economics, Politics,Geography or Biology :tongue: Still abit indecisive.
(edited 13 years ago)
If you enjoy maths and feel you're confident that you'll get a good grade; then take it.
Reply 9
Maths is fun :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Computer science, or Economics.

Take it this way, if you don't do A2 Maths, you won't have a chance of getting into top universities to do either!

I'd certainly recommend Further Maths to at least AS-Level as both courses are very competitive.
Computer science, or Economics.

Then yeah you kind of have to do it!

I warn you though, a LOT of people get Us on their first exam. Over half my class did and I'm in a pretty decent 6th form. People underestimate it.

You'll either start off doing really badly or really well, but don't worry cause the people who start really badly get much better over time.
I don't see why not...
And it's going to look very nice for Computer Science or Economics.
Reply 13
If you enjoy it, and actually spend time on it, then I think you should carry on doing it! :smile:
I've seen too many friends at 6th form claim they enjoy the subject and then not work for it or revise and are surprised when they get Es!

So good luck!! :smile: And remember, there are always people on TSR that can help you if you get stuck! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Yes, opens so many doors to you in degrees, careers etc. I really wish i'd taken further maths to be honest; a good maths knowledge is such a good thing to have. In fact this reminds me of the Downing College NatSci admissions tutor at Cambridge; he told me on the open day 'you can never know too much maths' when i said i might gap year and do further maths!
Original post by orca92
Yes, opens so many doors to you in degrees, careers etc. I really wish i'd taken further maths to be honest; a good maths knowledge is such a good thing to have. In fact this reminds me of the Downing College NatSci admissions tutor at Cambridge; he told me on the open day 'you can never know too much maths' when i said i might gap year and do further maths!

LOL.

And yeah, I'm 5, so what?
Maths <3
YES.
Original post by Articaaa
it is up to you, it is whether you enjoy it or not and whether you want to pursue it in the future

good luck ^-^

YOu should take maths if you want to keep your options open when deciding university course...

If you don't enjoy Maths at all, then you should drop it...
I'm in year 10 and I finish Maths GCSE in June, I'm working at a low A. But I'm doing it a year early, and with practise I think I could get A* by next year, as I will be spending a whole other year learning it.

Try it! As long as you're willing to put the work in, you'll be fine. Like others have said, it's pretty much essential if you want to do Computing or Economics at university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest