The Student Room Group

For those who believe Psychology is a "soft subject"

Scroll to see replies

The people who run the unis are old (as in the professors). The people who take some 'new' made up subject which they don't like, they're less likely to recognise
Original post by ilickbatteries
I'msoacademic

"Psychology is a meaningless subject as the only subject that means anything is Cambridge Maths"

Incorrect.

Psychology is a good subject to take up as a fourth A-level, and it is considered a social science at A-level, however it may be considered as a science depending on the actual content studied at degree level or above.

Psychology is definitely not meaningless. Well it should ideally be accredited with the BPS.
I'm doing higher psychology, i don't know if thats harder than A2 because i have no clue how the english system works but higher psychology is ok i guess, you can't compare it with biology or chemistry because psychology is really easy to understand its just learning the information, each to their own i guess... :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
So you don't understand A-level physics ? Are you even doing it ?

Just like A-level psychology you need to fully understand the A-level physics to get a good grade, I see little to no difference.

I took psychology along with biology, chemistry and economics and Kings and Imperial had no problem with it.

I never said they had a problem with it :confused:

I tried Physics and it's just not my cup of tea, I don't understand it and i'm fine in saying that. I probably don't have the interest really for it. OP said there was a lot of memorisation and last time I checked you never had to understand something to reel it off again. If what (s)he is saying is wrong then forgive me.
Original post by siwelmail
The people who run the unis are old (as in the professors). The people who take some 'new' made up subject which they don't like, they're less likely to recognise

But the thing is, Psychology itself isn't old, it's the A-level which is new
Original post by im so academic

Incorrect.

Psychology is a good subject to take up as a fourth A-level, and it is considered a social science at A-level, however it may be considered as a science depending on the actual content studied at degree level or above.

Psychology is definitely not meaningless. Well it should ideally be accredited with the BPS.

Seeing as you're obsessed with Oxbridge, Oxbridge accept it as a subject as posted by someone earlier on. Obviously this is a good sign
Original post by mclovin123
Hmm i am not too sure about your first comment, many very capable people in my school (multiple oxbridge candidates are currently taking it too).

I know, but you've got to admit, more "less academic people" take Psychology in comparison with Further Maths.
Watch " Lie to me" , they have a lot of psychology there xD
Incorrect.

Well, this is a first! :biggrin:
Original post by justiceisjust

Original post by justiceisjust
Seeing as you're obsessed with Oxbridge, Oxbridge accept it as a subject as posted by someone earlier on. Obviously this is a good sign

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

For Cambridge (Trinity), it is an A-level of limited suitability.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/table.html

For Oxford, it is not necessary for either Psychology & Philosophy, or Experimental Psychology. Rather, they suggest: One or more from the Sciences and Maths as being "recommended" and "highly desirable to study at A-level".
Original post by ilickbatteries
Well, this is a first! :biggrin:

I've always thought that.

Don't make assumptions about what I think.

I'm actually "tolerant" of certain ex-poly courses and the like.
Reply 71
Ok if we're dissing on the A-level then I'm all for it, just don't generalise to the actual subject. Things which are wrong with the A-level:

- Teach each theory on equal basis with no mention of the fact that all other theories > Freud
- They teach Freud
- It is just memorisation
- Evaluation shouldn't be x research supports, y research disproves
- Portray the various theories in separation and often, if not always say x theorist solely believes in his theory and disregards all others
I know, but you've got to admit, more "less academic people" take Psychology in comparison with Further Maths.

You can define "academic people" differently. For instance I can do further maths without much of a struggle and completely fail essay based exam. Whereas my friend just flourishes in the Literature,Psychology etc.. but fails at basic algebra manipulation. It all depends on the individual. However I must agree, general public treats science/maths as being more academic.
Reply 73
Original post by vedderfan94
Stop trying to make Psychology sound difficult. All the retards take it so that is why not all the results are As. If you want a challenging science try Physics or Chemistry.

I take Geography, Maths, Physics and Psychology. I find all my subjects easy, but nor do I find Psychology less easy than any of the others.
Reply 74
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

For Cambridge (Trinity), it is an A-level of limited suitability.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/table.html

For Oxford, it is not necessary for either Psychology & Philosophy, or Experimental Psychology. Rather, they suggest: One or more from the Sciences and Maths as being "recommended" and "highly desirable to study at A-level".

Not being necessary for Oxford doesn't mean anything. Philosophy is one of the most academic subjects (Trinity college list also) and no prior knowledge is needed at either Ox or Cam.
Reply 75
I don't get why post on here stating that psychology is a science are being negged.
Psychology, along with Sociology and Law (correct me if I'm wrong) are social sciences,
Getting a heap of chemicals and testing them in a lab is not the definition of Science.
Psychology has theories.
Psychology tests those theories.
Psychology you could say, has the same process as your core sciences, this is how many scientific fact came about, through theory.
I do Biology and Chemistry along with Psychology and Philosophy and out of those 4, I find that Psychology has the biggest workload, this mightn't be difficult in itself, but it certainly does compare with other subjects.
In Biology and Chemistry, you test with material and quantifiable things, just because Psychology deals with something immaterial; the Mind. Doesn't really demote it of its 'Science' ranking.
What I've also noticed is that whichever subjects are not commonly taught at GCSE, are the ones that are usually criticised. I'm not saying this proves anything, but perhaps if the social sciences were taught at GCSE, people could get their flavour more readily, and notice that they're not easy. Most people scoff at the social sciences when they don't know anything about them.
I've always thought that.

Don't make assumptions about what I think.

I'm actually "tolerant" of certain ex-poly courses and the like.

Whoever has hacked your TSR deserves some positive rep! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 77
I think the OP has answered themselves. I did A-level psychology, did quite well in it too. While it can be difficult, ultimately it is just about memorising a load of facts. Anyone can do that. Other core sciences are different because you need to be able to visualise ideas and processes and apply them to new situations. In psychology you're just regurgitating facts. I enjoyed it but anyone can do it really...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Remembering a lot of information makes it less of a science for me.

Take Physics for example, you are expected to walk into an exam with a few equations and be able to think on your feet to work out how to approach the question and get the right answer, not learn a load of facts and word vomit in the exam.

Ridiculous statement. Maybe take your head out of your arse for a minute and observe the real world.
Many people who taken Psychology in my sixth form scored A's and A* on their GCSE's. Nobody was allowed to take it if you had not acheived at least a B in Maths, English and Science so your statement of people who are less academic take it is *******s.

The reason why many people are taking Psychology is evident in the fact it is rarely offered as a GCSE so it is a new, exciting subject that many people have not studied before, where as Maths or Further Maths is not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending