The Student Room Group

A few questions from a naive girl :o:

I'm really new to relationships and I'm not sure what's the norm. I get that every couple has their norm, but surely there must be a general opinion.

Do you text/call each other everyday? To catch up on each others day? To just say goodnight? If contact is an everyday thing, do you have real lengthy chats? Is it okay to go a day without any contact at all?

How often do you have one on one time together (if you're not long distance, that is), surely it can't be daily because uni work is a priority too? If, say, you're at the same uni, is it okay to spend time alone together maybe once or twice a week or something? How often do you still go on dates?

Over holidays, like easter or summer, how often do you see each other (presuming you haven't gone on vacation)?

I know my questions are really silly and I probably should know the answers but I'm new to all of this, despite being 19 and in uni! I'm a girl btw.

For those who have gone from bestfriends to boyfriend/girlfriend, was their a noticeable change in your relationship? Or was it pretty much the same except you were more intimate?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I live with my partner and sadly I've forgotten what I used to do... But then we were in an LDR.
Reply 2
Original post by whitepearlbaby
I live with my partner and sadly I've forgotten what I used to do... But then we were in an LDR.

Hey! Thanks for answering anyway :smile:
Original post by Mathematics.
Hey! Thanks for answering anyway :smile:

Yeah it was a crappy response :p: I think we used to have a little chat daily on MSN though, even if it was just to check if he's okay, and weekly phonecalls (because they were expensive). But it's so natural to have him around the house now, there's no effort involved anymore :mmm:
Hey :-)

I was good friends with my boyfriend beforehand, and it didn't change too much, just much more open with one another and of course, there was the intimacy also.
To start with we weren't in contact 24/7, or with each other all the time, we went out with our friends too and saw each other when we had the chance. I was also working at weekends, so got to see him rarely aside from my lunch hour.

Now we've both moved to different universities, we are in a LDR and are in contact every day, and text each other around lectures. We may have a phone call in the evening or skype/msn if not out.
When at home we make the most of seeing each other as well as seeing friends&family.

I think it depends on your personality though, some people like more space than others, so you can't really have a "norm"
You just need to go with the flow and try not to suffocate one another.

I've been with mine for almost 4years now and it's going pretty well
Good luck to you :-)
Reply 5
i usually hear from him at least once a day, but not neccessarily a full blown conversation. See each other quite often, never usually more than two days apart. but of course it's all what you're happy with at the end of the day.
Mathematics. What a name! :teehee:
Just go out with the person your interested in :facepalm: simple really.
Reply 7
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
Hey :-)

I was good friends with my boyfriend beforehand, and it didn't change too much, just much more open with one another and of course, there was the intimacy also.
To start with we weren't in contact 24/7, or with each other all the time, we went out with our friends too and saw each other when we had the chance. I was also working at weekends, so got to see him rarely aside from my lunch hour.

Now we've both moved to different universities, we are in a LDR and are in contact every day, and text each other around lectures. We may have a phone call in the evening or skype/msn if not out.
When at home we make the most of seeing each other as well as seeing friends&family.

I think it depends on your personality though, some people like more space than others, so you can't really have a "norm"
You just need to go with the flow and try not to suffocate one another.

I've been with mine for almost 4years now and it's going pretty well
Good luck to you :-)

Thanks for your answer :smile: It's nice that you don't suffocate each other too much. And four years! Wow! That's really wonderful to hear, I hope mine lasts half as long - but seeing as it's my first relationship, I hear it's highly likely that it won't. :o:
Reply 8
Original post by whitepearlbaby
Yeah it was a crappy response :p: I think we used to have a little chat daily on MSN though, even if it was just to check if he's okay, and weekly phonecalls (because they were expensive). But it's so natural to have him around the house now, there's no effort involved anymore :mmm:

I like any response ! :tongue: Aww, that's so lovely! I really hope I get this far with my guy :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by blueray
Mathematics. What a name! :teehee:
Just go out with the person your interested in :facepalm: simple really.

Thanks, but that wasn't really my question at all! :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by Superlogon
i usually hear from him at least once a day, but not neccessarily a full blown conversation. See each other quite often, never usually more than two days apart. but of course it's all what you're happy with at the end of the day.

thanks for your response! :smile:

Thanks, but that wasn't really my question at all! :confused:

Whops here is my answer
talk every day :biggrin:
Why need help finding someone im sure you can do it :h: wait for the right time :awesome:
Reply 12
Hopefully anyone who is lucky enough to date me won't be expecting me to follow social norms.
We see each other about 4 times a week probably, we live just down the road from each other so sometimes it's more often as he comes round for dinner/walk the dogs/whatever. And we're in contact every day, a few texts and a phone call usually if we don't see each other. BUT this isn't necessarily the norm and there are plenty of couples who will go a day or two without talking (probably though I don't think I know any :p:) and it's all about the individual people.

With my ex we were best friends beforehand, not much changed especially since we were pretty cuddly before we were dating, but now we've broken up (2 years on) our friendship is pretty much non-existent, especially as the breakup turned pretty sour. I also prefer being in a relationship where we got to know each other throughout the beginning of the relationship rather than knowing everything already, but both have their pros and cons.
Just talk when you want to talk, if you turn communication into a routine then you run the risk of feeling like it's a chore. You should always keep it so it's something you just look forward to.
Reply 15
Original post by blueray
Whops here is my answer
talk every day :biggrin:
Why need help finding someone im sure you can do it :h: wait for the right time :awesome:

Thanks! But I think you have misunderstood, or perhaps I wasn't clear at all - I have found someone and I just don't want to mess it all up! :smile:
Reply 16
If he doesn't talk to you for an entire day, bar some actual event that stopped him, that's probably a good sign that he's less interested in you.

When being romantic, you have a lot of romantic chats early on, less later when you run out of new things to say. Only so many times you can say she's beautiful.

I visited about once every week or week and a half.

It's good to take some time apart. More time together risks more frustration. We had one to one contact several times a day at unnie.
Reply 17
I'm really new to relationships and I'm not sure what's the norm. I get that every couple has their norm, but surely there must be a general opinion.

Do you text/call each other everyday? To catch up on each others day? To just say goodnight? If contact is an everyday thing, do you have real lengthy chats? Is it okay to go a day without any contact at all?

How often do you have one on one time together (if you're not long distance, that is), surely it can't be daily because uni work is a priority too? If, say, you're at the same uni, is it okay to spend time alone together maybe once or twice a week or something? How often do you still go on dates?

Over holidays, like easter or summer, how often do you see each other (presuming you haven't gone on vacation)?

I know my questions are really silly and I probably should know the answers but I'm new to all of this, despite being 19 and in uni! I'm a girl btw.

For those who have gone from bestfriends to boyfriend/girlfriend, was their a noticeable change in your relationship? Or was it pretty much the same except you were more intimate?

You're right that every couple is different. I talk to my boyfriend everyday. Some days we will text throughout the day, others we text just in the evening, others we have one long phone call (hour or so) at the end of the day. For me it wouldn't feel right if we didn't contact each other for a day, I'd start to worry if he was ok. We see each other once/twice a week, sometimes we stay in, others we go out. Btw, I'm at uni, whilst he is in full-time work. He works in the Police so his shifts vary (eg. he works some weekends) and my course can get intense, so we just work around each other. I plan to spend most of my summer holidays with him because holiday time is rare for us both. I think most couples settle into a routine of how often to talk/meet after a while. Talk to your new bf about what he wants :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by dirtyoldriver
We see each other about 4 times a week probably, we live just down the road from each other so sometimes it's more often as he comes round for dinner/walk the dogs/whatever. And we're in contact every day, a few texts and a phone call usually if we don't see each other. BUT this isn't necessarily the norm and there are plenty of couples who will go a day or two without talking (probably though I don't think I know any :p:) and it's all about the individual people.

With my ex we were best friends beforehand, not much changed especially since we were pretty cuddly before we were dating, but now we've broken up (2 years on) our friendship is pretty much non-existent, especially as the breakup turned pretty sour. I also prefer being in a relationship where we got to know each other throughout the beginning of the relationship rather than knowing everything already, but both have their pros and cons.

Oh noo, this sounds really sad though! :frown::frown::frown::frown:

Oh noo, this sounds really sad though! :frown::frown::frown::frown:

It was ok really, the break-up was fine, but I moved on too fast and so there were quite a lot of hard feelings after that. But even before it was very awkward post-break up, being with someone you're really close to is so worth it but just don't expect to go back to being good friends afterwards, at least not for a significant period of time, too much changes even though you don't notice it during the relationship.

Sorry I'm not trying to ruin things, it's more a prewarning and doesn't mean you shouldn't give this your best shot and enjoy it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending