The Student Room Group

My mum wants to buy me a new phone.....

......and i feel guilty about it. She doesn't have much money. I've found a phone (Samsung Galaxy) i like but it's £80 (£90 including top up) It's really cool and touch screen but i'm not sure i want it anymore. She wanted to buy herself one too and i found one for £60 (Sony Ericsson Zylo) but she cant afford that so she decided she wants one that's £35 (Sony Ericsson W350).
It's a crap phone and it's the one like she had before it broke to pieces. She works hard and never treats herself to anything. What should i do? I can't find any other cheaper phone that i like. They're all ugly ATM fro some reason even the expensive ones. She's my mum and i really love her. She misses me when i'm in uni and sounds sad when she talk to me. She is happy when i'm home because she really enjoys taking care of me and cooks really well for me.
What should i do? If i get the nice phone she'll have the crap one and i'll fel really guilty and bad knowing that she ALWAYS scarifices herself so that i can have really great stuff.
Can you help me please?
is it just me that sees the answer is really obvious?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Get a part-time job and buy yourself one (and her too) if you feel so bad about taking her much needed monies. :smile:
Original post by TheBrightShadow
is it just me or is the answer really obvious?

the answer is obvious if you're a selfish pig who never thinks of their family, which clearly you do. :smile:
If you need help picking good, cheap phones, pm me
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
the answer is obvious if you're a selfish pig who never thinks of their family, which clearly you do. :smile:

lol , the answer is obvious then!
Reply 6
Original post by Don'tNod
Get a part-time job and buy yourself one (and her too) if you feel so bad about taking her much needed monies. :smile:

I will in the summer when uni is over and done with. It's just that she's buying them now and will give my old one away to realtives in Africa and i'll have no phone and neither will she, that's why she wants to buy both now.
Reply 7
Umm how about you compromise a bit and go for a cheap phone instead? tell your mum you dont like the expensive one(dont tell her because its expensive) and this way maybe she'll be able to buy a better phone too. You're saying your mum always sacrifices herself, well maybe its time you make a few too. You're saying your mum makes sacrifices all the time, well maybe its about time that you make a few too. If i was in your shoes, i wouldnt get a new phone at all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
......and i feel guilty about it. She doesn't have much money. I've found a phone (Samsung Galaxy) i like but it's £80 (£90 including top up) It's really cool and touch screen but i'm not sure i want it anymore. She wanted to buy herself one too and i found one for £60 (Sony Ericsson Zylo) but she cant afford that so she decided she wants one that's £35 (Sony Ericsson W350).
It's a crap phone and it's the one like she had before it broke to pieces. She works hard and never treats herself to anything. What should i do? I can't find any other cheaper phone that i like. They're all ugly ATM fro some reason even the expensive ones. She's my mum and i really love her. She misses me when i'm in uni and sounds sad when she talk to me. She is happy when i'm home because she really enjoys taking care of me and cooks really well for me.
What should i do? If i get the nice phone she'll have the crap one and i'll fel really guilty and bad knowing that she ALWAYS scarifices herself so that i can have really great stuff.
Can you help me please?

You could say something like "Mum buy yourself the decent phone you deserve to have something nice as you work so hard".Meanwhile you could save up and buy your own phone a bit later on.
Reply 9
I will in the summer when uni is over and done with. It's just that she's buying them now and will give my old one away to realtives in Africa and i'll have no phone and neither will she, that's why she wants to buy both now.

Then pay her back later. :smile:
Buy your own phone? Sheesh my parents have never paid for any of my phones - my put me a tenner top up on once when i was really skint but thats it
Don't have a new phone and keep the one you have now? O.o Then she can buy herself a nicer one as well.
Reply 12
I'm guessing she's one of these mums who'd be offended if you turned around and said "thanks mum, but I don't really need a new one"?
Reply 13
Original post by Annie72
You could say something like "Mum buy yourself the decent phone you deserve to have something nice as you work so hard".Meanwhile you could save up and buy your own phone a bit later on.

Hi i found a cheaper one and so she can afford the nicer one for herself :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hi i found a cheaper one and so she can afford the nicer one for herself :biggrin:

Thats good to hear.In all seriousness though you sound like a really nice girl/guy.It also clearly shows just how much you love your mum.I can see why she is proud of you :smile:
Why don't you go without the expensive phone and let your mum have a better one than the £35 one if you feel guilty. Or get a part time job or save up some of your student money to buy yourself a phone. You're right, it's not fair that she works hard and looks after you when you're at home and then she goes without so that you can have things like a more expensive phone than her. Refuse to let her buy you a phone, or at least one that's expensive. Let her treat herself for once. That's the best thing you can do really.
Oh, just saw your update. It's good that you found a cheaper phone. At least your mum won't have to go without now! :smile:.

That's great man. I have been in this situation before concerning buying gifts for other people that are important to me; wanting to get them something nice but also not wanting to spend a lot of money can be quite tricky if you don't have a job or money to blow.

From my experiences, if you wait a while and don't rush anything it all works out in the end :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending