The Student Room Group

Should we ban the grand national due to animal cruelty?

Poll

Should we ban the grand national due to animal cruelty?

Source.

Nine-year-old Ornais broke his neck at the fourth fence and, seconds later, Dooneys Gate died after breaking his back at the Becher's Brook obstacle, notorious for the number of horses and jockeys who have failed to clear it over the years.

Meanwhile, Ballabriggs, the 14-1 winner of the race, was whisked back to the stables as soon as he crossed the line to be treated for dehydration in the soaring temperatures. More than half of the 40 starters did not finish the four-and- a-half mile race.

Animal rights groups reacted by describing the race, known as the world's greatest steeplechase with a massive worldwide audience, as "ritual animal cruelty" and urged people to give up their once-a-year flutter.

Horses have died in the race before, but rarely have injuries and falls been caught by such dramatic close-hand television footage. Angry viewers following the action on the BBC commented on Twitter about how the horses lying dead on the course were described as "obstacles" as the race detoured around the fences on the second lap. It is thought to be the first time the race has bypassed fences because of fatalities.

As the cameras tracked the leaders on the final circuit, viewers could clearly make out the tarpaulins drawn around one of the horses, which had died almost instantly. The BBC, whose coverage was fronted by Clare Balding, said it had covered the deaths "with as much sensitivity as possible". Commentators did not mention the fatalities on the traditional re-run footage after the race.

Ornais's trainer, Paul Nicholls, one of the most successful in the sport, said: "He was a very good novice chaser in his early days. We looked after him through a severe leg injury for two years and it is bad luck and very sad to lose a horse this way." Dooneys Gate, who was 10, was already dead when vets reached him on the course.

A group of 50 protesters, angry at the demands on the runners, had picketed the Liverpool racecourse before the meeting.

Tony Moore, the chairman of the Fight Against Animal Cruelty in Europe, said: "If they really care about horses, why do owners, jockeys and trainers put them through the ordeal? These deaths are not only sad, they are inevitable."

Andrew Tyler from Animal Aid added: "It should have no future in a civilised country. It is particularly callous and disgusting that a member of the commentary team should describe the dead horses as the lay on the course as an obstacle."

Julian Thick, the managing director at Aintree, said: "Safety is the first priority. We are desperately sad at the accidents and our thoughts go out to the connections of Ornais and Dooneys Gate. When a horse gets hurt, everyone is deeply upset. We will redouble our efforts to make sure that everyone involved in the event is able to participate in safety and comfort."

Photos:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh **** off hippie! Every owner and jockey knows full well the risks of the national. Nobody forces them to enter it and yet they choose to anyway.
The fantastic lives the animals live outweigh the few that get injured, in my opinion.

Although, I would be in favour of banning races with fences, since they seem to be the major problem. Furthermore, I'm hugely in favour of banning the way we treat animals for food, for me it's all about the potential animal suffering.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
You would pretty much have to ban all horse-sport if you wanted to go down that road, as it's not just during the Grand National, or even just in Racing, that horses have been killed or fatally injured.
Reply 4
Original post by Genocidal
Oh **** off hippie! Every owner and jockey knows full well the risks of the national. Nobody forces them to enter it and yet they choose to anyway.

Does the horse know the risks before (s)he voluntarily consents to being entered into a race? Nobody forces the horse to enter, right? :rolleyes:
They live the life befitting a king. The owners know the risks before they enter. No.
Original post by storna
Does the horse know the risks before (s)he voluntarily consents to being entered into a race? Nobody forces the horse to enter, right? :rolleyes:

The horse wouldn't have been bred if it wasn't for horse racing...

I don't disagree with the race but I think you are misunderstanding the opposition - the issue is not with the risks and participation but the apparent cruelty the horses (which are forced to enter) must go through.

I think there are actual animal cruelty events that should warrant focus though, not a mild horse race were the animals died from accidents (the jockey didn't exactly hope his horse to die).

Animal right protesters are just a big group of t.wats protesting the events of little cruelty while down the street there are animals being beaten to death.
Reply 8
Original post by storna

It doesn't matter. The horse is treated well in this sport for the risks it takes and the owner owns the horse. You can't ban a race because some horses die. If this was banned then how long before all animal related sports were banned?
If I had my own way racing all together would be banned or at the very least, severely overhauled.
Reply 10
Yes, how can they exploit animals for our own use! It's just so wrong! *eats bacon sandwich* - so called "animal lovers"
Reply 11
It should never be banned, but, i do think they should review the height of some of these fences?
Reply 12
It doesn't matter. The horse is treated well in this sport for the risks it takes and the owner owns the horse. You can't ban a race because some horses die. If this was banned then how long before all animal related sports were banned?

They die year on year, for the same reasons.
I think it's really cruel, I don't think it should be banned though, maybe just slightly change the course/jumps, or do it in two groups so there aren't so many horses trying to jump at the same time.
Reply 14
Oh **** off hippie!

And "hippie"?

Even the Daily Mail readers want it banned: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375210/Grand-National-2011-Ballabriggs-wins-day-drama-Aintree.html (see top rated comments).
It's just an animal. It has no rights, and is there simply for the amusement of humans.
That's just one incident. If we're truly concerned about animal cruelty we should be banning battery farming, which is a million times more cruel than the grand national.
Should the Grand National race result stand when the winning jockey has been banned for 5 days for excessive use of the whip during the race?
The jockeys know the risks, I don't give a crap if they're injured - it's not exactly the safest sport.
This is animal cruelty in the name of gambling and it's ****ing disgusting - the horses don't consent to jumping over back breaking obstacles.
You can't exactly ban it though... but I'd set regulations for obstacles etc. to give the horses a little more safety on the track.
Reply 19
Original post by Swell
It should never be banned, but, i do think they should review the height of some of these fences?

This! some of the fences on racecourses are excessively high. In normal horse-riding, you're always advised not to go above a certain pace when jumping, so massive fences + excess speed = is just never ever a recipe for success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending