The Student Room Group

Should we ban the grand national due to animal cruelty?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genocidal
Oh **** off hippie! Every owner and jockey knows full well the risks of the national. Nobody forces them to enter it and yet they choose to anyway.

It's about the horses, you idiot
Part of the problem in the GN in particular is the length of the course and the height of the jumps - and the fact that there are little restrictions on who can enter. Both of the horses that died this year were either called 'outsiders' or noted to not have a lot of experience in this kind of race. When you let inexperienced horses that lack stamina or don't have the jockey on board to tackle the fences correctly you're going to have massive problems, especially when you're going at such a speed.

Interestingly this debate is going on on a horse forum I frequent. It's quite amusing to see the similarities and differences in response!
Reply 22
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
That's just one incident. If we're truly concerned about animal cruelty we should be banning battery farming, which is a million times more cruel than the grand national.

Totally agree :noway:
Reply 23
I don't understand how it can be considered cruel because often when jockeys fall off the horses carry on running often till the end of the race. This is out of their free will they know that the jockey is off of them but yet they still decide to carry on running because they love to.
Original post by beccac94
I don't understand how it can be considered cruel because often when jockeys fall off the horses carry on running often till the end of the race. This is out of their free will they know that the jockey is off of them but yet they still decide to carry on running because they love to.

I think its mainly when they die due to jumping over the fences, falling and then being trampled on by other horses e.t.c.,
Agree with the other poster who said they should review the size of the fences after all them pictures are pretty horrific.
Original post by beccac94

A horse is a herd animal. There is no herd animal on earth that will not stop running with it's pack/herd/group until the group stops, especially when they've been trained before hand to keep going.
Reply 26
I think too much money is being made for any official to consider banning it, but they defiantly need to lower the fences or lower the amount of runners, IMO 40 is too high.
Original post by Cicerao
Yes, how can they exploit animals for our own use! It's just so wrong! *eats bacon sandwich* - so called "animal lovers"

Bacon is incredible stuff in all fairness.
Reply 28
should we ban it? of course we should, its animal cruelty to a living thing. The sad thing is the media has turned it into a "spectacle" and people seem to think they have to make a bet or watch it to be "apart" of it. Its disgusting what they do, whip the horses and some of even die at the end.

It wont be banned though, to many people at the top of making money off it.
Reply 29
If the horses didn't like it they wouldn't keep running after the rider falls off.
Reply 30
Original post by Genocidal
Oh **** off hippie! Every owner and jockey knows full well the risks of the national. Nobody forces them to enter it and yet they choose to anyway.

Yes I'm sure all the horses agreed to be entered in the race.

:facepalm:
Reply 31
No.
Original post by harvie_316
should we ban it? of course we should, its animal cruelty to a living thing. The sad thing is the media has turned it into a "spectacle" and people seem to think they have to make a bet or watch it to be "apart" of it. Its disgusting what they do, whip the horses and some of even die at the end.

It wont be banned though, to many people at the top of making money off it.

bRO ur disgracing ghanaians
Reply 33
Original post by lazy smurf
The horse wouldn't have been bred if it wasn't for horse racing...

And the blacks wouldn't have been taken to America if it wasn't for slavery? Good one.
Reply 34
****ing ban brigade retards out in force I see
Should it be banned?

In it's current form, yes - most certainly.

With revisions to make the course safer for both jockey and horse, I'd say it should continue.
Original post by lazy smurf
They live the life befitting a king. The owners know the risks before they enter. No.

The owners may know the risks, but the horses don't have a choice in the matter.
To answer OP's question, I'm in two minds about this. I think the racing tracks should atleast be made easier, with less jumps, and lower fences etc. Also - I'd like to see the training hours for the horses regulated and monitored more closely. It's so sad to see such beautiful creatures killed.
Reply 37
I'm gonna sit on the fence but if a horse didn't want to run, it wouldn't run. Horses can be very stubborn.
Original post by Stefan1991
And the blacks wouldn't have been taken to America if it wasn't for slavery? Good one.

Completely different situation.

Humans take over the world, horses die out, humans breed horses, horses get treated like kings.
Reply 39
Original post by ragman_wonder
Should it be banned?

In it's current form, yes - most certainly.

With revisions to make the course safer for both jockey and horse, I'd say it should continue.

It is one race a year where they absolutely go for it, that is both difficult and dangerous. If we didn't hold the race they would just move it abroad because the whole world loves it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending