The Student Room Group

Man arrested for burning the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Original post by racist mathematici
are men and women equal in islam?

depends on the meaning of equality.
Reply 241
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Kk, Calm down. 1.5 Billion is a big number. A lot of people to offend.

So? If someone is wrong it is wrong irrespective of the amounbt of people affected. Pointing out how many Muslims there are in the world doesn't change anything.

The_Male_Melons
How does it refer to women?

It depicts them as subservient to men.

The_Male_Melons
What does it do to showcase the lack of respect to non-muslims?

The Quran refers to non-Muslims as 'blind', 'sick', 'liars', 'cursed', 'evil', 'deaf', 'dumb', 'sinful', 'proud', 'wrong-doers', 'cursed', 'evil-livers', 'wicked', 'ignorant' and et cetera.

It also says that: "Unbelievers will be tormented forever with fire. When their skin is burned off, a fresh skin will be provided." 4:56
Original post by The_Male_Melons
depends on the meaning of equality.
why are you complicating things? it's a simple yes/no question. answer it or stfu.

women aren't sex objects/punch bags you sexist ****. how can a mans vote count twice as much as a womans in islam. mugs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
I don't really understand why you would want to burn one :\

anyway, in my view, freedom of speech doesn't include the freedom to deliberately offend other people's culture, religion or traditions

That doesn't make any sense. Offensive speech is the only type of free speech that needs to be protected. What's the point of freedom of inoffensive speech? Iran has that too. :rolleyes:
Reply 245
Original post by Snore
This is such a painfully self-contradictory statement.

You think the government, or religious groups, or anyone else, telling us what we can and can't say - effectively what we can and and can't openly think - is "civilised" or "tolerant"?

The fact that you refer to it as "the whole freedom of speech thing" shows your disregard of how precious a thing it is, and what an indicator it is of how tolerant and enlightened a society is.

You cannot police people's expression of opinion on the basis that YOU have decided that what they are saying is nasty without assuming your own judgement is absolute and infallible - many will disagree. I for example find much of the dross Christians, Muslims and Jews come out with to be, in your words, "hurtful and damaging", but would be appalled if the authorities came along and decided to shut them up about it - it would be a sign that we lived in a society where the government intervenes in the free exchange of views and ideas. Which is an incredibly disturbing idea - it would be like living in North Korea, or a book by Orwell or Huxley. A self-perpetuating nightmare of censorship and thought-crime.

Even just practically speaking, it would be impossible to enforce such an absurd 'right' as the right not to be offended - people are too various, and annoy each other too much. How bland would it be to have the government intercept every possible source of disagreement, as well as how sinister?

That is not what I said so please do not twist my words. You can think what you want. But you can not or at least should not perform actions deliberately to cause offence.

A BNP member burning the quran! So you are telling me that he was simply expressing his opinion and was not being nasty or inciting hate by doing so? Why couldn't he just say "I do not believe in it, I do not agree with its teachings"? This would be acceptable as that is voicing your opinion. He only burned the quran as he knows that it would cause offence and hurt. I believe everyone has the right to voice their opinion but in a civilised manner. This is not in a civilised manner.

My point is that freedom of speech is a lovely idea but imo it is impossible to have true freedom of speech. People abuse "freedom of speech" a lot imo.
Reply 246
Original post by Rokt
Well, then tell Muslims to drop the anti-atheist, anti-gay parts of their religion.

Despite religion of belief no one should carry out an act with the intention of causing hate, offence or upset. The BNP member should not of burned the quran just as no muslim should of burned a poppy. It is the same for all imo.
Reply 247
Absolutely ridiculous. Slowly the religious fanatics are taking over the country. Even though the BNP are bastards and I'd be glad to see any of them behind bars, burning the Qu'ran is not an offence and he should not be punished by the government. At the end of the day, it's just a book; one that sells fairytale as fact.
Original post by Rokt
He wanted to do it and he did it. It's his business.

I don't get what the point is of praying five times a day to a non-existent diety but some people do it and I don't demand that they justify it.

He's obviously doing it out of hatred for something else, which is not his business. It's fine if they go about their business and follow their own religion, but to burn a book out of hatred and spite of something else is just pitiful and sad.
Reply 249
People should just learn to live in peace . Jheez . Where is this hate all coming from?
Original post by racist mathematici
why are you complicating things? it's a simple yes/no question. answer it or stfu.

women aren't sex objects/punch bags you sexist ****. how can a mans vote count twice as much as a womans in islam. mugs.

In terms of physical appearence then no they are not equal.
In terms vote, Islam allows women to vote if the want. Isn't Islam against women being seen as sex object or punch bags?

How did you manage to come to this conclusion of my thoughts? Fool!
Original post by Ramel
That this is a 'reasonable' approach is your opinion. I don't see what's reasonable about it.

What's reasonable about it is that they allow freedom of expression where it is warranted, but not where it isn't conducive to public good. Generally, people are allowed to speak freely as they wish, but when for instance the UK felt that allowing Zakir Naik or US pastor Terry Jones to speak in the country might pose threats to the public's peace, they banned each's entry to the country. Similarly, when an act as offensive, inflammatory, hateful, and unnecessary as burning a copy of the Quran takes place, they take appropriate action to ensure that freedom of speech is not allowed to run amok and cause public unrest. I think that this is very reasonable. You might think that it is better to allow hateful and inflammatory acts that target a portion of the British population, and that will be your opinion, and I will disagree with it.
Original post by NeonSkies
I think it is right that there are consequences for burning religious texts, whichever religion they originated from. It's just completely disrespectful and unnecessary.

People burning qur'ans, obviously hun.
Original post by Selkarn
I did not say that Asians were Muslims.

Well just take care with your expression in the future, my dear.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
I don't really understand why you would want to burn one :\

anyway, in my view, freedom of speech doesn't include the freedom to deliberately offend other people's culture, religion or traditions

are you saying, that in your point of view i am not free to say that all muslims should go back to their own country because they arnt welcome here? or to say their religion is stupid?

surely i am just as free to say that as you are to say whatever you want in support of muslims.
Reply 255
Original post by gilllybeans
Well just take care with your expression in the future, my dear.

It's not my problem to pander around people who easily mistakenly assume, such as yourself.
Original post by Smophy
No not in the sense that you can say absolutely anything you want. Complete freedom of speech is impossible in a civilised, tolerant society.

I hate how people use the whole "freedom of speech" thing to excuse them saying hurtful and damaging things.

You can not go about saying what ever you like. If you do you you will have to accept the consequences.

thats ****ing retarded. just as you must be. i can say whatever the hell i like, and if you cant deal with it go cry in a corner.
Original post by Selkarn
It's not my problem to pander around people who easily mistakenly assume, such as yourself.

Calm down deary, I have a good number for a counciller. You clearly have some problems in your life at the moment, if you need to talk, you know where I am hun.:frown:
Reply 258
Original post by gilllybeans
Calm down deary, I have a good number for a counciller. You clearly have some problems in your life at the moment, if you need to talk, you know where I am hun.:frown:

Lol, whatever.
Original post by Wucker
F**king disgraceful.

Britain is supposedly a liberal democracy: In a real democracy, there is freedom of expression, you don't have to "respect" a silly, ignorant holy book.

How the f**k can so many people on here not see that, just because you find some words or some action to be disrespectful, does not mean it should be illegal to say or do.

Holy s**t.

You could come to the USA if you want and burn all the Qurans you want, if that's what rings your bell. The right to burn the book is considered a form of free speech and it's protected under the 1st amendment.

Quick Reply