The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Exeter like this? - Posh

I hope this isn't representative of Exeter though.. it's kind of put me a bit off exeter now :frown: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxpl30sJw9w

Does anyone think Exeter is like this?

I'm certainly not working class and people think I'm posh at my state school but I'm certainly not what people sometimes call "Rahs" Do you think I'll fit in well? Is Southampton similar to like this as I'm considering these two universities for my firm?

Scroll to see replies

I go to college in Exeter and it is very much a white middle class area on the whole. You probably won't find many ethnic minorities but don't let it out you off, because it's such a great city once you get used to it.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thanks but what about the university??
oh dear. do NOT let a video like that put you off exeter!

i read things like that from exeter before going there, but i decided not to care and just go and see for myself and be open. guess what? i LOVE the city and the uni and the people.

most of the people in exeter uni are white, not a surprise really, but hello, most of the people in the UK unis are white anyway. just to say, i have friends from bulgaria, russia, sweden, germany, china, africa.. you meet people from all over the world if you know where to look for. try the international society for example!

exeter might have people that are a bit richer than average (majority are totally "normal" though), but believe me, people really don't care about your background unless you happen to cross paths with a douche (which might happen, but that happens everywhere!). you might occasionally see people that you might classify as "rahs", but they're people as well.. do not judge before you've at least given them a chance, they might be lovely. if you don't like them.. easy enough, don't hang around them! be with the people you like, i can guarantee you'll find tons of people you'll like no matter what.

i've met fantastic people in uni. it's a great uni with some pretty amazing people. just be open and give everyone a chance!
There is a sizeable ethnic representation and a large number of international students. There are a large number of asian students especially in the medical and dental schools, there's lots of Chinese students and there's various international societies around; Japanese, Asian (i.e. Indian, Pak, Bangla etc), Chinese, HK, African, Vietnamese, Kazakh, Koreans, Turkish, etc.

Sure it's not as diverse as the London unis or places like Birmingham or Manchester but you certainly won't be alone and there's asian/oriental food shops and eateries a plenty.

I haven't seen this video but don't use youtube to make informed decisions about your education.
Reply 5
thanks' makeasound' a lot :smile: That made me a lot happier :smile: By the way, any accommodation recommend (or recommend to stay out of :P) ? What did you study ? thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks Warrior King too :smile: Which accommodation did you stay at?
Original post by jrules0193
Thanks Warrior King too :smile: Which accommodation did you stay at?

I went private.
Original post by jrules0193
thanks' makeasound' a lot :smile: That made me a lot happier :smile: By the way, any accommodation recommend (or recommend to stay out of :P) ? What did you study ? thanks :smile:

i'm still studying at exeter :smile: business & accounting. i'd personally recommend all the self-catered residences.. gives you a lot more freedom to do stuff when you want to and you tend to get really close with at least a few of your flatmates! rowe house is great, the kitchens are new and the rooms are pretty big (the new ones are HUGE) and you have your own toilet. st. german's is pretty much the same as rowe, just a lot older. birks grange village is shiny new and amazing, but the rooms are a bit smaller and it's a bit further away from central campus as rowe and st. german's. obviously these three are en-suites, so if you want something cheaper you're left with lafrowda which is alright, the people living in lafrowda seem to love it :biggrin:

the catered residences are practical if you don't want to make your own food and it's generally a bit cheaper than the self-catered (unless you are in catered en-suite which is very expensive or in lafrowda which is very cheap).

the richest people tend to live in holland hall (catered en-suite), but i've met people from there and all of the ones i've met have been very nice!
Reply 9
Do you think being from a state school stop me from integrating with people. And is Holland Hall really that bad, it looks really nice! And do you get to meet a lot of people in self-catered halls? Thanks :smile:
Reply 10
I'm just worried about that? That's why I'm considering southampton as a lot of people say it's completely different from exeter and has a lot of state pupils but I really don't want to make class an issue here :frown:
no worries, being from a state school makes no difference! i'm being honest, i don't even know if my friends went to state school or private! no one has ever asked me and i have never asked anyone, it's not really something people care about. someone might ask just to make conversation, but people hardly judge you if you went to state school! :biggrin:

holland has a reputation, but for what i've seen and heard it's not really that bad.. actually the people i've met from holland have always been like: "you're gonna hate me for this... i live in holland" which just proves that holland hall really isn't that bad, people just tend to judge before getting to know each other any better.

and yes you get to meet loads of people in self-catered halls, just be sure to go to as many flats as possible during fresher's week to make friends :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by make.a.sound
no worries, being from a state school makes no difference! i'm being honest, i don't even know if my friends went to state school or private! no one has ever asked me and i have never asked anyone, it's not really something people care about. someone might ask just to make conversation, but people hardly judge you if you went to state school! :biggrin:

holland has a reputation, but for what i've seen and heard it's not really that bad.. actually the people i've met from holland have always been like: "you're gonna hate me for this... i live in holland" which just proves that holland hall really isn't that bad, people just tend to judge before getting to know each other any better.

and yes you get to meet loads of people in self-catered halls, just be sure to go to as many flats as possible during fresher's week to make friends :smile:

Holand halls reputation is entirley deserved
Reply 13
I visited Exeter. Place was horribly white. I ended up going to Kings. First day, met a fine ass Cuban honey. Worth it.
Original post by sam8472
Holand halls reputation is entirley deserved

I wouldn't say entirely... I'd say it's only really 99% that give the rest a bad name.

Hell, I used to share a dining hall with the bastards.
Reply 15
Original post by FiveFiveSix
I wouldn't say entirely... I'd say it's only really 99% that give the rest a bad name.

Hell, I used to share a dining hall with the bastards.

Fellow mardonite by any chance :P
Original post by Cochrane
Fellow mardonite by any chance :P

Yeah.
Reply 17
Okay it may be posh but do you think a person from a state school, like me, will fit in? And did you have a good time?
Reply 18
HAHAHAHAHA!!! So jokes hahahaha
Reply 19
Eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending