The Student Room Group

Should human rights include a right to public security?

I.e. the right to be able to go about your business (whether that be at home or in a public setting) without the risk of being the victim of a crime.

This would aim to oppose rights such as the right to family life that prevents deportations of repeat offenders who are failed asylum seekers.

Or would this fail to work? If so - what right do you think should be made to put more emphasis on the victims of crime? Or do you think that this is not necessary?
Reply 1
You cannot oppose a human right with another human right.
Reply 2
Original post by storna
I.e. the right to be able to go about your business (whether that be at home or in a public setting) without the risk of being the victim of a crime.

This would aim to oppose rights such as the right to family life that prevents deportations of repeat offenders who are failed asylum seekers.

Or would this fail to work? If so - what right do you think should be made to put more emphasis on the victims of crime? Or do you think that this is not necessary?

'human rights' as they stand are a joke.

take the case you refer to. a failed criminal asylum seeker was granted a right to a family life even though he destroyed the family life of someone else.

that sort of rank hypocrisy will bring the whole 'human rights' edifice down. and rightly so if it is not sorted out.

human rights should mean protection from crime. freedom from crime is a human rights issue. crime that directly affects the individual should be reclassified as a human rights abuse, and those who abuse should be punished accordingly.

councils, the police and the governments have a duty to protect the human rights of british people.

if human rights is reclassified to look out for normal people first, and not last, then i think 'human rights' will survive. if not, then the public will demand an end to the human rights system.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12

Why not?
Reply 4
Original post by storna
Why not?

Because human rights are meant to be inalienable nothing can take them away. You have human rights no matter what, at least in philosophical terms
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aj12

Too right.
Reply 6
Original post by searchingshadow
Too right.

isn't freedom a human right?

if so, then why does britain lock up criminals if one human right cannot outweigh another?
Reply 7
Original post by humanrights
isn't freedom a human right?

if so, then why does britain lock up criminals if one human right cannot outweigh another?

Hence why the OP needs to clarify what he means by human rights and what definition he is using.
Reply 8
Original post by aj12
hence why the op needs to clarify what he means by human rights and what definition he is using.

echr/hra 1998.
Reply 9
Original post by storna
echr/hra 1998.

Then yeah as I said above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending