The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
this is a bit random...but is there any chance that if a group of people got together sainsburys would deliver groceries to the halls ?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 301
Original post by Ceecee
this is a bit random...but is there any chance that if a group of people got together sainsburys would deliver groceries to the halls ?

Very likely they would. At my previous uni people had food deliveries.
Reply 302
Original post by Ceecee

Original post by Zottula
Very likely they would. At my previous uni people had food deliveries.

I'd also expect maybe the cooking club or other (similar) societies to maybe have the occasional trips down to Sainsbury's or something, with the union bus to haul back your food hauls. :tongue:
To any CURRENT Imperialites who can answer this for me:

Questions on the following halls:
1) Fisher
2) Holbein (how do you even pronounce it, Hol-by-n?)
3) Wilson House

Right so, firstly, all 3 are 20mins away from Imperial, but which one is the easiest to get to Imperial from? (lesser the walk the better, 20mins is a mission for me)

Secondly, which is the most fun out of the three? (Holbein seems a bit small with 64 people?)

Do these halls tend to be 'on their own' or do they mix with say Eastside and Southside? (Wilson apprently tend to be by themselves)

Quality of rooms, which is generally better, apparently you could get put in the basements in Wilson, I am NOT living in the dungeons, I'm terrified of basements in general. And apparently Fisher is dying a little day by day? :s-smilie:

Any extra notes will help and what do you think of Weeks? Cool or not? Because I'm starting to love it actually :biggrin:
Reply 304
Can't really compare them as I haven't seen Holbein and Fisher. Wilson is a very fun and sociable place in an excellent location, much better connected than the Chelsea halls (only one bus to go to Camden!) and loads of great stuff in walk distance (Oxford Street, Notting Hill, ...).
From what I've heard about it, Fisher is starting to fall apart but the people there seem to take it with humour. The basement rooms in Wilson aren't that bad, some are really nice actually, and tend to be quite sociable because you see more people in the corridors. Also the ground and first level bedrooms are amazing, really high ceilings and most of them are really good sized as well (way better than the tiny tins in East and Southside).

Weeks isn't bad but a bit 60ish functional building like if you get what i mean by that...If I had the choice I'd much rather live in Garden which just has a really nice and posh feel about it and is generally quite nice. They don't have a lot of single rooms thoughm if that is what you want.

Anyway I'd advise you to not get to focussed on one place. You get 5 choices in the application and chances are that you won't even get any of those. So better not get to set on one or two places because you're just bound to get disappointed in september.

hope that helped :smile:
Reply 305
Original post by nikita_atikin
To any CURRENT Imperialites who can answer this for me:

Questions on the following halls:
1) Fisher
2) Holbein (how do you even pronounce it, Hol-by-n?)
3) Wilson House

Right so, firstly, all 3 are 20mins away from Imperial, but which one is the easiest to get to Imperial from? (lesser the walk the better, 20mins is a mission for me)

Secondly, which is the most fun out of the three? (Holbein seems a bit small with 64 people?)

Do these halls tend to be 'on their own' or do they mix with say Eastside and Southside? (Wilson apprently tend to be by themselves)

Quality of rooms, which is generally better, apparently you could get put in the basements in Wilson, I am NOT living in the dungeons, I'm terrified of basements in general. And apparently Fisher is dying a little day by day? :s-smilie:

Any extra notes will help and what do you think of Weeks? Cool or not? Because I'm starting to love it actually :biggrin:

Don't really know what you mean by 'easiest' but I'd say it is probably a longer walk from Wilson to IC compared to the Evelyn Gardens halls (such as Holbein and Fisher). I can get to uni in 15 minutes from Evelyn Gardens. Wilson you have to walk across Hyde Park to Paddington. My walk is very straightforward - pretty much just up Queen's Gate and it's quite nice too. Once you learn how to cross roads like a Londoner it won't take long.

Hard to tell you how much fun you're going to have in halls.. it depends so much on who is on your floor, whether they like doing stuff and whether you like them. Holbein is connected to Willis Jackson, so it actually forms the largest hall in Evelyn gardens with about 180 people. They share a common room and washing facilities and do events together. In general terms they are all equally likely to be fun.

I'd say ALL halls at Imperial are fairly self contained. It's a difficult question to answer again because it depends on so many things. Evelyn Gardens halls occasionally do large events which involve all halls there.. Southside/Eastside can do the same. Even though I'm in Evelyn Gardens I spend a lot of time in Eastside just because I've got friends from my department there so I've got to know quite a few other people on their floor. Generally there isn't that much formal 'mixing' between halls.

I'd say Holbein has the worst quality rooms. As far as I know all halls have basement rooms.. most do certainly. It's not what you probably think it is (nothing like living in a dungeon). Wilson and Fisher are pretty similar.. I'd say Fisher is nicest. Not much between them. If you want really nice rooms then apply to South/Eastside - otherwise you're always going to get something which is a little dated.

Don't know anyone from Garden and Weeks so can't tell you much about them. Same kind of room quality as Evelyn Gardens halls but slightly smaller kitchens as far as I know.

Honestly the quality of your halls experience depends a lot on who you live with, not where you live.. so chance plays a huge part. I wouldn't worry though - I get on with everyone on my floor but don't have any great friends there.. I do everything with friends from my department, other halls, other courses and other yeargroups. And then there's the people you meet playing sports too...
(edited 13 years ago)
Ah I keep postponing looking into halls! To be honest I'd prefer to live at one of the quieter halls. I know halls is supposed to be a really lively place where you can be pulled out of your bed by your friends at 3am to go to a party... but I'd rather go to parties at other halls when I do, and have my own, quiet hall to come back to when I'm exhausted.

Original post by phwarfcat
i've come crawling back to TSR for advice...

now i'm definitely not a shy one, and i'm a teensy bit worried that i'm not going to meet many likeminded people at imperial. from what i've seen happen to my friends that are at uni, the type of people you get put with in your halls can make or break your university experience (the latter, if you're unluck) so basically, i don't want to end up in a hall that's far away and is full of people that go to bed before 11pm.....

money's not that much of an issue when it comes to accomodation. i'd like to be close, i'd like to be in a single room (don't care if it's ensuite or not) and i'd like it to be LIVELY! for this reason i thought beit to be the best choice. but if i remember correctly from last year's application (long story) i have 4 more options to pick!

Ah... sounds like me :colondollar:

A lot of people do say that the party culture at Imperial is less active than at other universities. But seriously, when you're surrounded by hundreds of teenagers, you're doing something wrong if you can't find a party.
(edited 13 years ago)
Is it really true that even though you get 5 choices for your accommodation, you're not likely to get the ones you want? I would've thought if you put down all 3 Eastside halls in your choices, or all your choices as shared rooms, that you'd be likely to get what the majority of your choices were? :s-smilie:
Reply 308
Original post by innerhollow
Ah I keep postponing looking into halls! To be honest I'd prefer to live at one of the quieter halls. I know halls is supposed to be a really lively place where you can be pulled out of your bed by your friends at 3am to go to a party... but I'd rather go to parties at other halls when I do, and have my own, quiet hall to come back to when I'm exhausted.

Ah... sounds like me :colondollar:

A lot of people do say that the party culture at Imperial is less active than at other universities. But seriously, when you're surrounded by hundreds of teenagers, you're doing something wrong if you can't find a party.

You sound very like-minded to me.
Reply 309
Original post by BlueRingedOctopus
Is it really true that even though you get 5 choices for your accommodation, you're not likely to get the ones you want? I would've thought if you put down all 3 Eastside halls in your choices, or all your choices as shared rooms, that you'd be likely to get what the majority of your choices were? :s-smilie:

If you apply for shared rooms you're very likely to get them.. all the people I know in shared rooms actually applied for singles so there's clearly a shortage of willing people to fill them. If you apply for singles then you could get placed anywhere. I got my 5th choice. I know people who got none of their choices and people who got the halls they wanted but not the room type etc etc. At the end of the day a large majority of people coming to Imperial can afford single ensuite rooms and want them, and there just aren't enough to go around.
Original post by taheki
If you apply for shared rooms you're very likely to get them.. all the people I know in shared rooms actually applied for singles so there's clearly a shortage of willing people to fill them. If you apply for singles then you could get placed anywhere. I got my 5th choice. I know people who got none of their choices and people who got the halls they wanted but not the room type etc etc. At the end of the day a large majority of people coming to Imperial can afford single ensuite rooms and want them, and there just aren't enough to go around.

Erg I'm really worried about being given a shared room... it would just be horrible for me.

Original post by Zottula
You sound very like-minded to me.

How so?
Reply 312

How so?

Because you said you'd prefer a slightly quieter hall and you said that going to bed before 11pm sounds like you. I was just thinking at the time "oh that sounds a bit like me".
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zottula
Because you said you'd prefer a slightly quieter hall and you said that going to bed before 11pm sounds like you. I was just thinking at the time "oh that sounds a bit like me".

Which halls are you thinking then?
Reply 314
Which halls are you thinking then?

Not really sure to be honest. Money is a bit of an issue for me though, so I am limited to the cheapest rooms. Probably will have to apply for a triple, which only Garden and Fisher do.
So I'm back with another question...

I'm leaning towards Evelyn Gardens at the moment, just wanted to know what music practice options there are? The garden page in the booklet has a photo of a guy playing the piano, so I'm assuming that it has a piano that we can play?

Do other halls have practice rooms, with pianos?
Original post by bluesky42
So I'm back with another question...

I'm leaning towards Evelyn Gardens at the moment, just wanted to know what music practice options there are? The garden page in the booklet has a photo of a guy playing the piano, so I'm assuming that it has a piano that we can play?

Do other halls have practice rooms, with pianos?

Garden does indeed have a piano. In Beit there are music rooms in the west basement - IC Radio, Felix and a few other guys are also based down there - but you have to book them (and they're popular).
Evidently less applicable to the pianists out there, but I know of a couple of people that used to practice their instruments in their rooms - as with everything (instruments/speakers/sex) it's just best to keep the noise down.
Question about the bathrooms in Imperial :biggrin:

Is it mutliple cubicles per floor or is there 1 bathroom (the kind you have in your house) that everyone uses? How does it work anyway and what's the average shower time that people take? :ninja:
Original post by Blatant Troll
Garden does indeed have a piano. In Beit there are music rooms in the west basement - IC Radio, Felix and a few other guys are also based down there - but you have to book them (and they're popular).
Evidently less applicable to the pianists out there, but I know of a couple of people that used to practice their instruments in their rooms - as with everything (instruments/speakers/sex) it's just best to keep the noise down.

Damn. So are Garden and Beit the only piano ones then?

I guess I could still play the flute in my room... although scales might piss a lot of people of....

So what do all the musicians do then? :O I know there are a couple of orchestras right...and you can do Physics with Music...
Original post by bluesky42
Damn. So are Garden and Beit the only piano ones then?

I guess I could still play the flute in my room... although scales might piss a lot of people of....

So what do all the musicians do then? :O I know there are a couple of orchestras right...and you can do Physics with Music...

Only know about Garden & Beit I'm afraid :moon:

I'm not the best person to ask, but from what I gather, from who I know: practice in their rooms, orchestra/bands, or music lessons (for many people home is just a tube journey away on the weekend).

There's certainly a big music scene here anyway (with links to the Royal College of Music, what with it being wedged between RSM/Chem Eng/opposite Beit), so you'll bump into likeminded peeps, if you'd like to head in that direction extra-curricularly/socially.

:holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending