The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unbiased Opinion

Ahhh, good point! When do you recommend people start getting ready for the UKCAT? :smile:

Edit: oh, you're a Y12. Nvm. :p:

I got 647.5 first time and I revised for like a month, though that's mainly because I flopped 3 sections and aced the QR which is much easier in the exam. Just do the 600 questions and do the practice questions on the website.
Original post by liviaaa
Wowww that's a lot!

I know, my work experience looks so little in comparison :colondollar:
Reply 1082
Original post by Normandy114
I know, my work experience looks so little in comparison :colondollar:

Yess same! I have 3 medical work experiences, with only 1 in a hospital, then 2 more that aren't really medically based.
Original post by liviaaa
Yess same! I have 3 medical work experiences, with only 1 in a hospital, then 2 more that aren't really medically based.

Very similar to mine, I've got 1 week shadowing various doctors, and then 1 week as a teaching assistant and I've recently started charity shop volunteering every weekend. If I could get some at a GP's office, and a job at a care home I think that should suffice, but I know several other applicants in the area who will probably apply there too. :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Very similar to mine, I've got 1 week shadowing various doctors, and then 1 week as a teaching assistant and I've recently started charity shop volunteering every weekend. If I could get some at a GP's office, and a job at a care home I think that should suffice, but I know several other applicants in the area who will probably apply there too. :s-smilie:

It's quality, not quantity when it comes to work experience. There is a post grad in my year who only had one day at a GP's and still got in :tongue:

I'd say it is more important for you to work out what you learned from your placements, rather than trying to cram in as much as possible :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It's quality, not quantity when it comes to work experience. There is a post grad in my year who only had one day at a GP's and still got in :tongue:

I'd say it is more important for you to work out what you learned from your placements, rather than trying to cram in as much as possible :smile:

Yes, I realise that, but I think it'd be a good idea to get that as well so that I can demonstrate things like empathy skills, teamwork etcetera, and the GP's office would be good to show insight into medicine. Just trying to get a decent amount done now so that I'm not clutching at straws when it comes to writing a personal statement.
Yes, I realise that, but I think it'd be a good idea to get that as well so that I can demonstrate things like empathy skills, teamwork etcetera, and the GP's office would be good to show insight into medicine. Just trying to get a decent amount done now so that I'm not clutching at straws when it comes to writing a personal statement.

Don't get me wrong :s-smilie:, if you can get more then go for it :smile: Just remember that there is only so much space in a PS and you may have to pick and choose what to include.
Reply 1087

Hahaa.. I've already started mine (that way I can see early if I need more to fill in the gaps) :biggrin: I take a look back at it when I get bored with revision, so I remind myself what I'm doing this all for!
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Ive only done one and i'm going to do a second one soon, i'm gonna start voluntary work soon. I only now making my choice in life so I'm really behind but I am looking for places and I have found a few just need to book them next week :smile:

Good:smile:
Your not really behind, you've still got plenty of time before applying don't worry!!
Reply 1089
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Don't get me wrong :s-smilie:, if you can get more then go for it :smile: Just remember that there is only so much space in a PS and you may have to pick and choose what to include.

About how much of your PS did you talk about work experience? Like a third?
Original post by thegodofgod
I'm going to start volunteering at a nursing home soon as well - stupid places don't allow you to volunteer before you turn 17 :angry:

Now to find a reference :redface:

Really?! See I have no other excuse except that I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life :redface:
Original post by itsrayray:)
Good:smile:
Your not really behind, you've still got plenty of time before applying don't worry!!

I am worried as hell! Oh well, not much I can do now but try and get as much as possible.
There is only one way to guarantee a place at medical school...eliminate the competition, "say hello to my little friend"....
Original post by liviaaa
I know.. it makes a change from my school, it's like all the people with 10 A*'s talking about the people with only 2 A*'s applying etccc.. I wish it wasn't so competitive.

Aww, that sucks. :frown: My friend thought I was lying to her about Liverpool being PBL so that I would have less competition, lol.
Original post by jam277
I got 647.5 first time and I revised for like a month, though that's mainly because I flopped 3 sections and aced the QR which is much easier in the exam. Just do the 600 questions and do the practice questions on the website.

QR seems like the hardest section (actually, so does AR... and the last section... ok, they all look terrifying. :p:). Thanks for the advice, I'll get the 600Q book after my exams are done. :smile: Are you reapplying for 2012 cycle?
Do you study at a private or comprehensive sixth form college?

QR seems like the hardest section (actually, so does AR... and the last section... ok, they all look terrifying. :p:). Thanks for the advice, I'll get the 600Q book after my exams are done. :smile: Are you reapplying for 2012 cycle?

Yup if I get 3A's, though that's easier said than done. AR is a killer, but I guessed half of them and didn't even finish and I got 590. I guessed most of VR as well, QR was easy and DA was last and I thought I failed so I got bored so I got 570 for DA. I was so shocked when I saw my QR result I was like 850 wtf, then I counted the results and I said that's alright lol. I was failing QR until the day of the exam, I did a GCSE maths paper in my head so I think that helped.
It's just practicing an IQ test, if you're applying for medicine you already have a high IQ.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yup if I get 3A's, though that's easier said than done. AR is a killer, but I guessed half of them and didn't even finish and I got 590. I guessed most of VR as well, QR was easy and DA was last and I thought I failed so I got bored so I got 570 for DA. I was so shocked when I saw my QR result I was like 850 wtf, then I counted the results and I said that's alright lol. I was failing QR until the day of the exam, I did a GCSE maths paper in my head so I think that helped.
It's just practicing an IQ test, if you're applying for medicine you already have a high IQ.

I know, A2 sounds so hard. :/ Do you know what grade you need to get in June for each subject to get an A overall?

850! That's incredible! So basically you're sorted for this year cos you know where you went wrong and stuff.

Probably true, but everyone else sitting the UKCAT will have a high IQ so it balances out. Plus I once did this IQ test that told me I had an IQ so low it was in the realms of disability. Oops. :colondollar:

I know, A2 sounds so hard. :/ Do you know what grade you need to get in June for each subject to get an A overall?

850! That's incredible! So basically you're sorted for this year cos you know where you went wrong and stuff.

Probably true, but everyone else sitting the UKCAT will have a high IQ so it balances out. Plus I once did this IQ test that told me I had an IQ so low it was in the realms of disability. Oops. :colondollar:

I need a D for maths so thats sorted, but I need an A on the dot for chemistry but I'm resitting AS coursework so i'm not worried and I need a medium A for biology which i'm worried about.
In total I would like A*A*A but i think if I aim for an A* in chemistry i'll get a B in biology so i'll just aim for A*AA.
Original post by liviaaa
About how much of your PS did you talk about work experience? Like a third?

Yeah about that. I had three larger paragraphs plus a concluding sentence and the whole second paragraph was mainly work experience :smile: Though I chose to talk about a two week placement and went into more detail. The other WE I left to my reference.

Latest

Trending

Trending