The Student Room Group

MPharm (5 yr practice integrated) @ Bradford Uni...A YES / NO?.... Help me ASAP plz

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hmmm.....looks like a little war is waging over in my thread :smile: atm!

Currently "CoolDude" is "OUT of Service" @TSR as he is studying 24/7 for his final exam on april13th. LOL! ....tbh I reallllllllllllyyyyy do not want to get into this NOW and I shall get back to Firestar101, Daniel & amushan later. Thank you all for your opinions :smile: & I wish to discuss with you after my exam.

P.S. I worry a bit that Caponester did not see this yet....If he does, I am sure this thread's atmosphere will definitely get a lot more violent! LOL!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CoolDude
Mpharm (5 year practice integrated) Programme at Bradford University...A YES OR NO?

The Uni of Bradford claims that it will provide the pre-reg placements itself, i.e. THE STUDENT DOES NOT NEED TO FIND TO ONE. This being the case, I still see that many people say Bradford is a bad UNI!!!!!!!!!! WHY ? WHY? Am I missing something here, is there a catch here?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!! I HAVE CHOOSE MY UNI's ASAP!

If NO, then what do I pick.....?

The UNI's that I have got into are (with fees per year, [I am an Intl student from Canada]):

1) RGU [Intl tution fees: 11,500 pounds]

2) Brighton [Intl tution fees: 11,580 pounds]

3) Aston [Intl tution fees: 14,700 pounds]...I KNOW ITS A GREAT SCHOOL, but I really don't think I can afford it! So its a NO for me :frown:

4) Bradford 5yr program w. pre-reg integrated [Intl tution fees: 11,400 pounds]

NOTE: I can only go to a school that costs 16,000 pounds per year [TUITION + RESIDENCE]...my max loan amount is 18,000 pounds...

THIS being my situation could you please tell me which UNI I should go to?

God bless you:smile:!..... to all those who help me! Really stressed out here!!!! :confused:

BRADFORD got a university? it will be ****e!

Currently "CoolDude" is "OUT of Service" @TSR as he is studying 24/7 for his final exam on april13th. LOL! ....tbh I reallllllllllllyyyyy do not want to get into this and I shall get back to Firestar101, Daniel & amushan later. Thank you all for your opinions :smile: & I wish to discuss with you after my exam.

P.S. I worry a bit that Caponester did not see this yet....If he does, I am sure this thread's atmosphere will definitely get a lot more violent! LOL!

Good luck in your exam. Study hard. :smile:

Currently "CoolDude" is "OUT of Service" @TSR as he is studying 24/7 for his final exam on april13th. LOL! ....tbh I reallllllllllllyyyyy do not want to get into this NOW and I shall get back to Firestar101, Daniel & amushan later. Thank you all for your opinions :smile: & I wish to discuss with you after my exam.

I'm happy for other people to say that another University ^is better.. I just think that their reasoning for anything was utter tripe :tongue:
And im quite sure carponester couldn't care less about our squabbles. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
i apologizE scotland is a good place and brigton isnt full of all gays !
Hello Nitral! I have sent you a PM! please let me know if you have received it. It sucks that I cant view my sent messages on TSR! LOL! or is it just me?

Hey guys, I'm currently a second year MPharm student at the University of Brighton actually in the middle of exams now, and I'm actually from Toronto as well!

I haven't read the whole thread because it's too long, but if you haven't chosen a uni yet, I find that pharmacy school in the uk is pretty easy to get into. In particular, with the University of Brighton, if you have any university experience at all from Toronto (I went to UT for 3 years, studying human biology, physiology, and chemistry before coming to the UK to study pharmacy) then a lot of the material in the first 2 years will be familiar to you and is pretty easy to understand. The exams are by no means easy, but the pass mark here is 40%, and you should have an easy time scoring at least 60% in the exams if you do some moderate studying.

The University of Brighton is located in a nice area, there's the seafront, lots of clubs/bars if that's your thing. It's also conveniently close to London, and there's a train direct to Gatwick airport from Brighton (which is great because they have lots of flights to Toronto, and there are no long lineups like at Heathrow), and if you take another train for a stop or 2 you reach the pharmacy school (Moulsecoomb station)
the Moulsecoomb and Falmer residences are catered, while the rest are not.
The teaching staff here are accessible and friendly/helpful, but like every school in the world, you'll have good profs and bad profs, and it's your responsibility to look after your own education in these cases. Class sizes are small, and there are actually a lot of Canadians in my class (i actually met one guy who turned out to be in one of my classes at the University of Toronto), and a lot of the students are international as well (in my class, there are a lot of Greek people, African people, and some Chinese people (i'm a Canadian-born Chinese guy)). While you do have to look for your own pre-reg placement, it doesn't seem to be a particularly big problem, except that you may not get into your first choice placement. The course isn't structured badly, and while there is room for improvement, I think you will enjoy your studies here.

----------------

For those people who asked, each province in Canada has at least 1 school of pharmacy, Ontario however has 2 schools, (one at the University of Toronto, and one at the University of Waterloo (which is a co-op program i might add!))

Lately, I've been doing quite a bit of research into what is necessary to return to Ontario (specific to this province, for other provinces it might be different) to practice and here is what I've found out so far.

1) The first thing you need to do is graduate from a pharmacy program.

2) Next, you open a file with OCP (Ontario College of Pharmacists), and this is done by completing a pre-registration form, and sending a bunch of documents to them.

3) Next you have to get your degree evaluated, and you'll have to get your school to send transcripts and whatnot directly to the OCP.

4) You take the PEBC pharmacist evaluation exam. You have the option of taking this exam in London, UK for an extra fee (something like $365), so if you're thinking of registering in both the UK and in Ontario, then presumably, you can be doing your pre-registration training here while studying for both the Canadian Evaluation Exam, and the UK registration exam at the same time.

5) Once you've passed this Evaluation Exam, there's no time limit within which you do this next exam: the PEBC pharmacist qualifying exam. This exam is split into Part 1 and Part 2. Part 1 is an MCQ paper split over 2 days (around 3.75 hrs each). Part 2 is an OSCE (objective-structured clinical exam) which is kinda like a verbal exam kind of affair. While there's no time limit within which you have to take this exam after the Evaluation Exam, once you've done either Part1 or Part2 of the Qualifying exam, you have 3 years to do the other one.
You get a maximum of 3 attempts at the exam.

6) you need to do the Jurisprudence exam for Ontario.

7) you need to complete a studentship/internship.

8) you might need to do an english proficiency test, but you can appeal this and ask them to waive it.
---------------
This is what I've found out so far, hope it helps.
if you have any questions about anything feel free to let me know. If you're planning to go back to Canada for work and want to form a study group a couple years down the road to study for the qualification exams, I wouldn't mind either, so this is a good time to get in touch =)

Edit: forgot to add that if want more info, you should visit the OCP website and the PEBC website. and maybe check out the IPG program at the University of Toronto as well, because I think that may be a requirement as well (once again, I think you can appeal this, the english language exam, as well as shorten the studentship depending on how much work you've done in the UK and other past experience in pharmacy)

Andrew
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by monkeyolsen

Hey guys, I'm currently a second year MPharm student at the University of Brighton actually in the middle of exams now, and I'm actually from Toronto as well!

Hello Andrew!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME REPLY! Love it! Very information & useful. Thank you sooooo much fellow Toronto-nion!

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Sorry for the late reply.

Hey lol, my pleasure
have you made your choice yet? =P
Reply 68

Hey lol, my pleasure
have you made your choice yet? =P

I will PM you in 2 minutes!

EDIT: I have PM'ed you now. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Mpharm (5 year practice integrated) Programme at Bradford University...A YES OR NO?

The Uni of Bradford claims that it will provide the pre-reg placements itself, i.e. THE STUDENT DOES NOT NEED TO FIND TO ONE. This being the case, I still see that many people say Bradford is a bad UNI!!!!!!!!!! WHY ? WHY? Am I missing something here, is there a catch here?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!! I HAVE CHOOSE MY UNI's ASAP!

If NO, then what do I pick.....?

The UNI's that I have got into are (with fees per year, [I am an Intl student from Canada]):

1) RGU [Intl tution fees: 11,500 pounds]

2) Brighton [Intl tution fees: 11,580 pounds]

3) Aston [Intl tution fees: 14,700 pounds]...I KNOW ITS A GREAT SCHOOL, but I really don't think I can afford it! So its a NO for me :frown:

4) Bradford 5yr program w. pre-reg integrated [Intl tution fees: 11,400 pounds]

NOTE: I can only go to a school that costs 16,000 pounds per year [TUITION + RESIDENCE]...my max loan amount is 18,000 pounds...

THIS being my situation could you please tell me which UNI I should go to?

God bless you:smile:!..... to all those who help me! Really stressed out here!!!! :confused:

in regards to the first post, i would strongly suggest choosing bradford university. it offers a really good degree, and the two 6 months integrated placements are paid, giving you the chance to get experience in two different sectors. furthermore there is a great amount of support from bradford university staff who ensure you will obtain a placement on the 5 year programme (unless you have done something bad in the past, and have a criminal record of something, because then you cant practice as a pharmacist anywhere)

the course is well structurered and the staff are really supportive. the city itself isnt as bad as everyone is making out. it has a lot of negativity attatched with it, due to perhaps negative media such as the riots which happened many years ago.

in regards to the people who suggest it to being an asian city, well there are a lot of asians in bradford but there are also a lot of other religions and races. its very multicultural, and it doesnt matter what race/religion people are, everyone has different backgrounds and personalities. bradford has a lot of friendly people. but like all cities it has rough areas. there are a lot of diversity in the students at bradford, and you get a chance to meet students that come from many differernt places around the world.
Reply 70
Original post by Pamiyoo

Original post by Pamiyoo
in regards to the first post, i would strongly suggest choosing bradford university. it offers a really good degree, and the two 6 months integrated placements are paid, giving you the chance to get experience in two different sectors. furthermore there is a great amount of support from bradford university staff who ensure you will obtain a placement on the 5 year programme (unless you have done something bad in the past, and have a criminal record of something, because then you cant practice as a pharmacist anywhere)

the course is well structurered and the staff are really supportive. the city itself isnt as bad as everyone is making out. it has a lot of negativity attatched with it, due to perhaps negative media such as the riots which happened many years ago.

in regards to the people who suggest it to being an asian city, well there are a lot of asians in bradford but there are also a lot of other religions and races. its very multicultural, and it doesnt matter what race/religion people are, everyone has different backgrounds and personalities. bradford has a lot of friendly people. but like all cities it has rough areas. there are a lot of diversity in the students at bradford, and you get a chance to meet students that come from many differernt places around the world.

Thank you for you reply :smile:

Hmm....I wish I met you earlier on TSR.....I chose Bradford as my insurance (as cost wise, it was a bit more expensive); therefore I have firmed Robert Gordon University. Do you happen to know anything about aberdeen /RGU? (what's your opinion of this this place?)
Reply 71
Original post by Pamiyoo

Are you currently studying this sandwich course at Bradford or have already graduated from there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending