The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evil Monkey
Can hardly be River, she's popped up twice since the library, but has a whole diary of stuff to do with him. Let alone they've had enough time together for him to teach her High Gallifreyan and how to pilot the Tardis. And she's supposed to be someone really important he'll trust entirely, he still barely knows her. Unless they fast forward through all the time together, River's here to stay.

It is possible that he gives her a note with how to write "Hello Sweetie" in High Gallifreyan just so that she can write the note he's already seen. A bit like going back in time to give Rory the sonic screwdriver to let him out of the Pandorica.... timey-wimey :wink:
Reply 7401
'timey wimey' is too much of a cop out to me and I really wish they would give it up tbh.
Original post by Mess.
'timey wimey' is too much of a cop out to me and I really wish they would give it up tbh.

The inability to make Alex Kingston look younger and younger dictates how they get around showing how they interact over a long period being in and out of her life. This season should help a little with her being a constant companion though.
Reply 7403
Original post by DoktaUH

Original post by DoktaUH
The inability to make Alex Kingston look younger and younger dictates how they get around showing how they interact over a long period being in and out of her life. This season should help a little with her being a constant companion though.

I wasn't talking about that :s
I meant 'timey wimey' in general. Every time they use just feels like a cop out and feels equivalent to a deus es machina that other shows get abused for.
Original post by Mess.
Every time they use just feels like a cop out and feels equivalent to a deus es machina that other shows get abused for.

Nearly every episode of Doctor Who has been a deus ex machina anyway? It's what the show is famous for.
Original post by Mess.
I wasn't talking about that :s
I meant 'timey wimey' in general. Every time they use just feels like a cop out and feels equivalent to a deus es machina that other shows get abused for.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Nearly every episode of Doctor Who has been a deus ex machina anyway? It's what the show is famous for.

The whole regeneration process is a deus ex machina so asking them to cut out that process would've ended Doctor Who many many years ago :p:
Not sure if this has been said, but perhaps river is some kind of undercover member of the silence. Silence in the library? :redface:
As in river IS the silence she is in the library...not sure how the whole possibly being the doctors wife thing fits in though (which I think is a tad too obvious). I'm probably wrong, doctor who always surprises me :tongue:
OHH so maybe amy shots river...because she finds out? trying to protect the doctor?? hence the 'NOO!'
Hmm...we shall have to see.

Erm, what?

"Timey wimey" is fun and all, but it's time to give it a ****ing rest. How many notes that the Doctor or Amy hasn't written yet are we going to see? It's a convenient plot device, which in fact, doesn't work half of the time, when we should be seeing interesting and new ways of wrapping up the plot that work well and make sense, yno, in a sort of fantastical setting such as all of time and space.

That's what the show is known for :proud:
I haven't bought into the whole royal wedding fever but can someone just confirm that it won't be interrupting the show in any way, shape or form or else I might seriously consder being a repblican. :colonhash:
The wedding's on a Friday, I believe?
Original post by Colonel.
Erm, what?

"Timey wimey" is fun and all, but it's time to give it a ****ing rest. How many notes that the Doctor or Amy hasn't written yet are we going to see? It's a convenient plot device, which in fact, doesn't work half of the time, when we should be seeing interesting and new ways of wrapping up the plot that work well and make sense, yno, in a sort of fantastical setting such as all of time and space.

That's what the show is known for :proud:

What are you "Erm, what?"ing at? It may have been my misuse of 'famous' when I should have said 'infamous'.

Nearly every episode of Doctor Who has a deus ex machina, and yes, the show is (in)famous for that. Unless you're disputing that the Doctor does not magically get out situations with on the spot, suddenly remembered, technobabble and a screwdriver that does everything?

Episodes where a deus ex machina has not been used are episodes like The Beast Below.

Episodes were there was a blatant use of the plot device and when it didn't work, wasn't interesting and did not make sense - Doctor-Donna fiddling about with controls and controlling all the Daleks via remote in Journey's End.

Now, this being science fiction, there is always that element, or use of a deus ex machina. But it is used in nearly every episode, and that shouldn't be a surprise to any fan of the show. As for timey wimey, I agree it is time to give it a rest. Moffat seems to think by his use of 'timey wimey' he has differentiated himself clearly from RTD's 'epic' finales. But now that he's going to be using it a lot more, it's going to get boring. He's already said it will be in the first two parter, it will no doubt also feature in the finales.

And yes, they should do something new. Or at least, put a spin on the timey wimey stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DoktaUH
I would go for this one. e.g. the Doctor picks her up during one of the times that he's away from her, this ties up with Amy having a big secret from him..timey-wimey *voodoo hands*

I'm still sticking with my theory that the person who dies is

Spoiler

Also the big secret that Amy is keeping from him is

Spoiler

Think that spoiler came out a few months back^

That ties in with the teaser that everyone on the Tardis is keeping secrets from each other.

EDIT: And now if you look at it and read both those spoilers together, there is a possibility that they are strongly linked. So maybe

Spoiler

But of course, timey wimey wibbly wobbly will make it alright in the end even though Moffat has said this is 'real'.
(edited 13 years ago)
I am currently raging at the fact they're using the Doctor Who soundtrack on Total Wipeout...
[Geek mode]

I've been watching the Lodger.

And there's one scene in it.

Where Amy is looking at the screen and talking to the doctor, her gaze moves away and she spots something in the Tardis which she looks at in a sort of fear (whilst scary music plays in the background). She even gives out an involuntary gasp and shudder. And then the Doctor cuts her off and she sort of moves her gaze away.

The reason I'm picking this out is

When you look at a Silent and then look away, you completely forget you seen one. That is what it does, or part of its power.

In the trailer, there's a Silent inside the Tardis.

That episode was the Lodger - with the Silents' ship/tardis duplicate.

Moffat or somebody (can't recall) has said we only see the show from the characters point of view - or memories, so any sightings of Silents would have been missed by us too as the characters' forgot.

Let's not forget that whole Future Doctor wearing a jacket scene. So they do put these little things in the episodes.

The clip in question with the time at the end of the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwfhtSYSLiM&t=415

It doesn't sound like she is responding to the Doctor because the thing the Doctor is talking about isn't particularly bad compared to what just happened in the scene. It's just the way she acts.

Maybe I'm just seeing things. :holmes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Also the big secret that Amy is keeping from him is

Spoiler

I was leaning to the same sort of thing too. After Spaceship UK, this Doctor won't stand for other people deciding what he should or shouldn't know, but with River we know he won't take spoilers for his future either.
Mark Gatiss' episode is in the modern day about a boy with OCD whose family disappears. He thinks it's because he's frightened of things, the Doctor comes and tells him that he's right.
[Geek mode]

I've been watching the Lodger.

And there's one scene in it.

Where Amy is looking at the screen and talking to the doctor, her gaze moves away and she spots something in the Tardis which she looks at in a sort of fear (whilst scary music plays in the background). She even gives out an involuntary gasp and shudder. And then the Doctor cuts her off and she sort of moves her gaze away.

The reason I'm picking this out is

When you look at a Silent and then look away, you completely forget you seen one. That is what it does, or part of its power.

In the trailer, there's a Silent inside the Tardis.

That episode was the Lodger - with the Silents' ship/tardis duplicate.

Moffat or somebody (can't recall) has said we only see the show from the characters point of view - or memories, so any sightings of Silents would have been missed by us too as the characters' forgot.

Let's not forget that whole Future Doctor wearing a jacket scene. So they do put these little things in the episodes.

The clip in question with the time at the end of the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwfhtSYSLiM&t=415

It doesn't sound like she is responding to the Doctor because the thing the Doctor is talking about isn't particularly bad compared to what just happened in the scene. It's just the way she acts.

Maybe I'm just seeing things. :holmes:

I think you may be onto something. Good spot!
It looks like these are pics from episode 8, after the break so obviously these people won't be dying (or will be coming back in some way or another but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad news for the other person not in it?)

Anyway spoilers http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/04/04/new-doctor-who-filming-pics-2/
Original post by sleekchic
It looks like these are pics from episode 8, after the break so obviously these people won't be dying (or will be coming back in some way or another but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad news for the other person not in it?)

Anyway spoilers http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/04/04/new-doctor-who-filming-pics-2/

Doesn't look bad in denim. No sir. :coma:

Oh look, ANOTHER new BBC America trailer with a few new bits. Do they get dissatisfied with what they've got really easily or something? Mark Sheppard's VO on their trailers is starting to annoy me, as is the constant re-use of "Trust me, I'm The Doctor" which doesn't fit, sound-wise, with what's being said before...

Latest