The Student Room Group

Help needed on revising for AS/A2 exams! (8 in total)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alf123
Well done mate, you did really well :smile: Only if I put my head down beforehand! :angry:

Thanks for your advice, I would be using it a lot, and yes I got the John Wolinkski book :P

Do you feel that by doing past exam questions would help me? I never really do this and i heard it is a good way for practicing your exam technique?. One of the reasons I feel that I do bad in exams is because I just usually read off a book (John Wolinkski for example) and do not make any serious notes to look back on afterwards! So I forget 70% of what I have revised when it comes to the exam! :frown:

I wish I'd done a bit better so I could have got an overall A, but I don't want to do anything with Business so I'm not too bothered haha :smile:

Some people find doing past exams helps, I don't find it helpful to be honest with any of my subjects because I forget what I write and how I write it.

However, I do look at the exam papers and the mark schemes and kinda plan a question out with a list or diagram or something (but I don't do like an essay or anything). It's better because if you get a similar question in the exam you remember the stuff you put on the diagram easy because it's just a few notes.

I wouldn't do that though if you're not very good at actually constructing an answer though (like the ordering of stuff). It just sounds like you're having a crisis remembering stuff though!
Are you doing a portfolio on BUSS4? :smile:
Aint gonna lie but youre gonna have to take a leaf out of an asians book.

Wake up at 8
Get Ready By 9
Start Working at 9:30-11.Subject A

11-11:30 Quick Power Break- Eat Fruit, Drink Water. No artificial shizzle, nor stimulants such as caffeine.

11:30-1 Work. Subject B

1-2 Lunch, Dont eat too much, or you'll feel tired.

2-3:30 Sumarry Questions/Past Paper Questions on Subject A

3:30-4 PowerBreak Two. Again Fruit, Water etc.

4:00-5:30 Questions/Past Papers Questions on Subject B

Decent day imo. Id personally go 2 hours ago but thas me, but yeah! Also revision technique is vital, learn whats best for you, try out different ones.
Reply 22
Original post by mellie220
I wish I'd done a bit better so I could have got an overall A, but I don't want to do anything with Business so I'm not too bothered haha :smile:

Some people find doing past exams helps, I don't find it helpful to be honest with any of my subjects because I forget what I write and how I write it.

However, I do look at the exam papers and the mark schemes and kinda plan a question out with a list or diagram or something (but I don't do like an essay or anything). It's better because if you get a similar question in the exam you remember the stuff you put on the diagram easy because it's just a few notes.

I wouldn't do that though if you're not very good at actually constructing an answer though (like the ordering of stuff). It just sounds like you're having a crisis remembering stuff though!
Are you doing a portfolio on BUSS4? :smile:

Thanks for the idea, I have decided I will only do a few past papers, so I wont do as much as I planned out to do as it isn't my strong point. Instead I would look at its mark scheme and put it down in a diagram.

And yes I am doing a portfolio on BUSS4 :smile:, how about you?

EDIT:

I however just need tips on how to ensure I do not forget all my notes I have done on a particular day :s-smilie: For example, if I was to look back on my notes I revised 2 weeks later, I would forget 50% of it :frown:, I want to mesmerize at least 80% off what I revised if I looked back at my notes in 2 weeks time :P . Could you please give me some advice on what to do? Do you feel that doing a quick 10-15 minute recap on each unit (so around 30-45 minute recap for all 3 units in total) the following day by just reading through my notes I have written help me to remember what I have revised? Or have you got any other tips you could give me please? :P

Thank you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by JakeyShakey
Aint gonna lie but youre gonna have to take a leaf out of an asians book.

Wake up at 8
Get Ready By 9
Start Working at 9:30-11.Subject A

11-11:30 Quick Power Break- Eat Fruit, Drink Water. No artificial shizzle, nor stimulants such as caffeine.

11:30-1 Work. Subject B

1-2 Lunch, Dont eat too much, or you'll feel tired.

2-3:30 Sumarry Questions/Past Paper Questions on Subject A

3:30-4 PowerBreak Two. Again Fruit, Water etc.

4:00-5:30 Questions/Past Papers Questions on Subject B

Decent day imo. Id personally go 2 hours ago but thas me, but yeah! Also revision technique is vital, learn whats best for you, try out different ones.

For me waking up at 8 is way too early for me lol, also 6 hours revision is way too much! :O In my life I have never done more than 2 hours of solid revision in a day, but because I want to do well I will make sure I do at least 3 hours a day, 4-5 even on some days if I push myself (but could only happen with no distractions as well as making sure I do not feel sleepy on the day as well). I am so used to waking up at around 11-12 even though I go to bed at around 12-1AM most days. But I have told myself that I should wake no later than 10:30 so I can start revision by 11:30.

Revise till 1 on subject A

1-2:30, lunch and break for TV etc..

2:30-3:30 1 hour revision on B

3:30-4 break, eat fruit, water, snacks

4-either 5-6 (depending on how I feel) revise for subject C

That is like 3.5-4.5 hours of revision, and for me that is more than in enough in one day, plus I have managed to revise for 3 different units! :P

I however just need tips on how to ensure I do not forget all my notes I have done on a particular day :s-smilie:. Could you please give me some advice on what to do? Do you feel that doing a quick 10-15 minute recap on each unit (so around 30-45 minute recap for all 3 units in total) the following day by just reading through my notes I have written help me to remember what I have revised? Or have you got any other tips you could give me please? :P

Thank you.
Uhm well what ive found that works for me best is basically making spider diagrams for my subjects, linking everything up and i find i can fit 3 pages of actual notes on a page. After making those notes, i flip the page over and try recreating it, i repeat that process until i get it exactly more or less word for word, then come the next week i again recreate that one spider diagram, if i can remember it again then 1 month down the line ill recreate.

for me its fast and efficient, however i know my mates do a similar method to what youre saying , by doing 45 minutes of todays work and then doing 15 minutes recap of yesterdays. But the key is youve gotta go over the work until you fully understand and theres no point just doing work you find easy for that mental feeling of content, focus on the work you find hard :smile:

if you dont know your weakpoints, do past papers and where youre slipping up put it down on a piece of paper and schedule it into revision ( do more than one paper) good luck.
Reply 25
Original post by JakeyShakey
Uhm well what ive found that works for me best is basically making spider diagrams for my subjects, linking everything up and i find i can fit 3 pages of actual notes on a page. After making those notes, i flip the page over and try recreating it, i repeat that process until i get it exactly more or less word for word, then come the next week i again recreate that one spider diagram, if i can remember it again then 1 month down the line ill recreate.

for me its fast and efficient, however i know my mates do a similar method to what youre saying , by doing 45 minutes of todays work and then doing 15 minutes recap of yesterdays. But the key is youve gotta go over the work until you fully understand and theres no point just doing work you find easy for that mental feeling of content, focus on the work you find hard :smile:

if you dont know your weakpoints, do past papers and where youre slipping up put it down on a piece of paper and schedule it into revision ( do more than one paper) good luck.

Thanks I am going to try spider diagrams :smile:

But the problem with past papers is that I do not have access to model answers so I cannot compare my answer to it :s-smilie: Mark schemes do not help much as well :frown:

Do you by any chance know where I can get past papers questions and model answers for thequestions for both AQA Business and Economics? If you do it would be great as I would therefore be spending most of my time doing those :P

Thank you.
Reply 26
Business is ****ing easy
Reply 27
how can I access the Business aqa as level unit 1 revision pack?

Quick Reply

Latest