The Student Room Group

Applying while at university, will UCAS automatically let the new uni know?

Hi!
If I firm one of my conditional offer and I want to reapply to another uni through UCAS this September.

Do I have to show that I am at uni by getting my uni tutor doing something. Will UCAS automatically display that I am at uni ? I am saying that as I think they know that I got a conditional offer and it will have changed into unconditional one in August. So the new uni I apply in Sept will automatically know I am at another uni right?

Can anyone who applied while they were at uni please tell me how UCAS display the second time you applied?
Was it different process or UCAS look from the first time? or you just have a blank new UCAS like others'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You have to include all your education history on UCAS, so you will tell new uni that you're at uni. UCAS won't do anything. If you don't declare it, however, the new uni will find out and your offers can be withdrawn.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You have to include all your education history on UCAS, so you will tell new uni that you're at uni. UCAS won't do anything. If you don't declare it, however, the new uni will find out and your offers can be withdrawn.

Thanks! I was wondering what I have to do. I thought UCAS would do it for me as they obviously know I am at uni.
Did you go through the same process? Applying while at uni?
Reply 3
Original post by hannahnguyen

Original post by hannahnguyen
Thanks! I was wondering what I have to do. I thought UCAS would do it for me as they obviously know I am at uni.
Did you go through the same process? Applying while at uni?

They won't know you're at uni - they know potentially you could be. But you could drop out after results day.

And no, I just know a lot about UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
They won't know you're at uni - they know potentially you could be. But you could drop out after results day.

Thank you
Your UCAS will look slightly different in that it will enter some of your details for you if you enter your old UCAS number - just saves some time, and they can link up your accounts so that if you recycle parts of your personal statement they know it was you so it won't count for plagiarism.
Sorry xx

Original post by Juno

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Your UCAS will look slightly different in that it will enter some of your details for you if you enter your old UCAS number - just saves some time, and they can link up your accounts so that if you recycle parts of your personal statement they know it was you so it won't count for plagiarism.

Hey girls!
Just wondering, can I have 2 UCAS account? I guess not, but then, what if I want to apply to 2 different degrees that require a different PS?

Reply 7
Original post by Limoncello

Just wondering, can I have 2 UCAS account? I guess not, but then, what if I want to apply to 2 different degrees that require a different PS?

You're only allowed one account and one PS. To avoid the problem you're describing, it might help to decide which course you want before you apply.
Original post by Limoncello
Sorry xx

Hey girls!

No. If you want to apply for 2 different courses, you need to write a PS that encompasses both.
Reply 9
Original post by sammy9214

Why would you need to declare it if youre not getting a qualification out of it? And why would the uni take away a place if you didnt tell them you had been to uni and left before the end if youre applying for a different course? :s-smilie:

Because them's the rules. You have to declare everything. If you don't you're lying and nobody likes liars.
Reply 10

Why would you need to declare it if youre not getting a qualification out of it? And why would the uni take away a place if you didnt tell them you had been to uni and left before the end if youre applying for a different course? :s-smilie:

They might take the view 'oh dear, he/she is dropping out of their current uni - what if they drop out again from us? Better not give them a place'.

Plus the whole issue of penalising people for lying.
Reply 11
When you go to court you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Omitting is still lying.
Reply 12

There could be all sorts of personal reasons why people leave and they can hardly put that in their personal statement, you're supposed to sell yourself in it, not explain your life story.
If you don't tell them these reasons then they're not going to know. Your personal statement is probably the best place to mention why your dropping out of university. You could also use it to say what you've learned from your time at uni and why you decided that this other course is better.

Why would you get penalised?! It's not lying, lying is saying something that isn't true. This is not putting something down. They are two completely different things. There might be a perfectly good reason why you don't put it on your application...

Here it's a case of checking the small print. If it says anything about not omitting things etc then you need to make sure you're not in breach of that. I'm not currently in a position to read through that myself so I couldn't tell you the exact requirements.

Why would you get penalised?! It's not lying, lying is saying something that isn't true. This is not putting something down. They are two completely different things. There might be a perfectly good reason why you don't put it on your application...

You are obviously unfamiliar with the declaration that you have to make on the UCAS application in which you undertake that you have provided all the information asked for (which includes whether you have attended university) and that it is accurate and complete. Making that decalration when it is false is lying.
Yeah but what if you don't intentionally do it... don't you think it's a little harsh to brand everyone liars etc if they didn't even know. I remember when I applied in Sixth Form and the way I read the application was that you wouldn't have to declare half a year at uni because it's worthless and pretty much irrelevant... Why would you be penalised so harshly if it was a genuine mistake?

The expectation is that anyone capable of benefitting from a university education is capable of properly reading, understanding and following the application instructions.
So you're saying because I didn't see that, I'm not capable from benefitting from a university education? I don't think you should judge people like that.

Besides exactly how would the university find out?

Quite honestly, if you are the sort of person cannot be bothered to properly read the information and instructions provided by UCAS - after all, this application is possibly the most important think you have undertaken so far - you are going to miss out on a lot of opportunities in life.

There are several ways in which universities could find out, and every year candidates find that out.
Reply 16
Original post by Juno
Because them's the rules. You have to declare everything. If you don't you're lying and nobody likes liars.

Bit of an odd question but I reapplied to unis through UCAS for 2011 while at uni. Buuuut I didn't realise we had to include our current uni in the "Education" section! However, I did mention the fact that I was already at uni on my PS, so am I in the clear or am I considered to be violating the UCAS terms?

Thanks in advance~~
Original post by Dreizhen
Bit of an odd question but I reapplied to unis through UCAS for 2011 while at uni. Buuuut I didn't realise we had to include our current uni in the "Education" section! However, I did mention the fact that I was already at uni on my PS, so am I in the clear or am I considered to be violating the UCAS terms?

Thanks in advance~~

Technically you violated the terms, since the requirement is that you enter every educational establishment you attended in the 'Education' section of your UCAS form.
Original post by Dreizhen

Thanks in advance~~

You'll be fine I expect as you did declare everything, albeit not in the conventional way.
Reply 19
Original post by Good bloke
You'll be fine I expect as you did declare everything, albeit not in the conventional way.

Is it okay that I didn't mention the university I am at, though? Sorry, this is all a bit confusing to me - I mean I have gotten offers and all but now I'm not sure if those are valid any more or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending