The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7420
American trailers, especially 'next episode' ones always really annoy me. They are basically a shortened version of the coming episode. Absolutely full of spoilers.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
What are you "Erm, what?"ing at? It may have been my misuse of 'famous' when I should have said 'infamous'.

Nearly every episode of Doctor Who has a deus ex machina, and yes, the show is (in)famous for that. Unless you're disputing that the Doctor does not magically get out situations with on the spot, suddenly remembered, technobabble and a screwdriver that does everything?

Episodes where a deus ex machina has not been used are episodes like The Beast Below.

Episodes were there was a blatant use of the plot device and when it didn't work, wasn't interesting and did not make sense - Doctor-Donna fiddling about with controls and controlling all the Daleks via remote in Journey's End.

Now, this being science fiction, there is always that element, or use of a deus ex machina. But it is used in nearly every episode, and that shouldn't be a surprise to any fan of the show. As for timey wimey, I agree it is time to give it a rest. Moffat seems to think by his use of 'timey wimey' he has differentiated himself clearly from RTD's 'epic' finales. But now that he's going to be using it a lot more, it's going to get boring. He's already said it will be in the first two parter, it will no doubt also feature in the finales.

And yes, they should do something new. Or at least, put a spin on the timey wimey stuff.

It's interesting how Journey's End used some control panel thing that happened to stop, humiliate and destroy the Daleks, and was one of the most popular episodes of series 4, and The Beast Below used a half clever storyline and was one of the least popular episodes of series 5 :gah: My favourite storyline last series though was Amy's Choice.

Both RTD and SM have done a fair amount of deus ex machina with their storylines, but I think I prefer SM's timey-wimey stuff to RTD's just ridiculous answers to plots (series 3 finale...urgh...nuff said). If I time traveller I would be sending notes and messages to my past self and others all the time :ahee: I really, really do not like it though when the Doctor uses his legendary status to scare off enemies (Forest of the Dead, The Eleventh Hour). None of those this series please!

Original post by LastLordofTime

Oh look, ANOTHER new BBC America trailer with a few new bits. Do they get dissatisfied with what they've got really easily or something? Mark Sheppard's VO on their trailers is starting to annoy me, as is the constant re-use of "Trust me, I'm The Doctor" which doesn't fit, sound-wise, with what's being said before...

Most interesting scene is at 20s, really hard to pause it as it's super quick, but there's a Silence closing the door with a hysterical Amy in there :teeth:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Phobia27
Most interesting scene is at 20s, really hard to pause it as it's super quick, but there's a Silence closing the door with a hysterical Amy in there :teeth:

That is, apparently, the dreaded "White House Bathroom Scene".
That is, apparently, the dreaded "White House Bathroom Scene".

Finally got a pic, took a good 5 minutes of pausing :gah:

Finally got a pic, took a good 5 minutes of pausing :gah:

Thought I recognised that shot...

Moffat: “Always in Doctor Who, you want something to conquer the world otherwise it’s a bit disappointing. But why don’t we ever remember? I just thought, ‘Well, what about a creature that can make you forget?’ I think that’s a cool idea. Once you’ve gone back downstairs, you can’t remember if there was something upstairs. I think that’s scary.”

Sort of 'official' source now from a press release (I think). And you have to agree, it's just as scary as the Weeping Angels.

This series will be split into a run of seven episodes and then six later in the year:

Steven: “Oh yes, you’ll get a cliffhanger. In fact, you’re going to get several cliffhangers. You had two just there. And you’re going to get a couple of real belters. Not just episode seven. Episode six is an absolute cracker, isn’t it? If you run for 13 weeks you can start to feel as though you can miss one ep and it’ll be OK. We don’t want that we stop for a few weeks and let you all worry about what’s happening and then come back. Of course we get then two finales and two first nights.”

Arthur: “It really makes it hard to talk about it though, because there’s so many secrets and so many cliffhangers. It’s all linked.”

Matt: “At the end of six…we read it and went, ‘Oh my God!”

So excited. :teeth:

I think I'll try and actively stay away from spoilers.
(edited 13 years ago)
So many cliffhangers, so many secrets and mysteries, so much timey-wimey stuff, reminds me of Lost :p:
Reply 7427
Read some spoilers on digitalspy :ashamed2:

:ashamed:
Original post by haleem
Read some spoilers on digitalspy :ashamed2:

:ashamed:

:whip:

Think I read what you've read. If I've read what you've read...

It makes no sense. :colonhash:
Reply 7429
:whip:

Think I read what you've read. If I've read what you've read...

It makes no sense. :colonhash:

Did you read something about two... :ninja:

All I know is that DW is ****ing with my mind at the moment :woo:
Original post by haleem
Did you read something about two... :ninja:

All I know is that DW is ****ing with my mind at the moment :woo:

Yes, I did ... :ninja: but lets not ruin it for anyone here. :ninja:

I don't think it's real. But if it is, my mind is being crushed trying to figure it out. Not only that, but if it is real, and this only the first two episodes - what's to come when it is time for the proper cliffhangers?! :zomg:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7431
Yes, I did ... :ninja: but lets not ruin it for anyone here. :ninja:

I don't think it's real. But if it is, my mind is being crushed trying to figure it out. Not only that, but if it is real, and this only the first two episodes - what's to come when it is time for the proper cliffhangers?! :zomg:

:five:

I know :zomg:

But now I just cant ****ing wait for the show to start :nutcase:
I haven't really looked out for spoilers this time around, other than what's posted on here. Because it's a slippery slope to procrastination.

Could one of you two PM me what you read? I don't care how shocking it is. :puppyeyes:
Yeah, a friend told me about what's going on at the Digital Spy forums, and so I've been avoiding them. Not that I really ever go there anyway, but now I'm actually trying not to go there. Keeping most spoilers to a minimum this year, aside from the production spy stuff.
Yeah, a friend told me about what's going on at the Digital Spy forums, and so I've been avoiding them. Not that I really ever go there anyway, but now I'm actually trying not to go there. Keeping most spoilers to a minimum this year, aside from the production spy stuff.

Btw did you end up buying the procrastinate shirt? What's the quality of qwertee tshirts like?

I won't have any money until the end of the month and I really wanted it, especially because of the dalek. :sad:
Original post by sleekchic
Btw did you end up buying the procrastinate shirt? What's the quality of qwertee tshirts like?

I won't have any money until the end of the month and I really wanted it, especially because of the dalek. :sad:

Yeah, I've got it, but they don't dispatch until they move on to the next shirt so I wont know for a few days how good it is :smile: But you can get the shirt elsewhere, in slightly different styles (and at a slightly higher price... but you get to choose the colour of the tshirt)

http://www.redbubble.com/people/bamboota/t-shirts/6739009-procrastinate

http://www.redbubble.com/people/bamboota/t-shirts/6730916-procrastinate-orange

http://www.redbubble.com/people/bamboota/t-shirts/6879616-procrastinate-blueprint

There's also a Lost/Doctor Who parody Tshirt up over on an American one-day-tee website - http://www.teefury.com/ - Not a big lover of combining two things though... that and I didn't even recognise Faraday on it :| And it doesn't look quite right on a grey shirt...
(edited 13 years ago)
Tweeted by Qwertee the other day: "we have an insaniTEE sale where we sell random shirts of what we have left coming up, that's your best bet! Thanks:smile:"

So, if you've missed out on any of the Who-related tees and would like to get them, then keep an eye on the website. I know there's the current tshirt and the Poked to Death one (http://qwertee.com/product/poked-to-death/ - epic!) to go, so it might be after that one. It's definitely worth signing up to vote on these shirts, so it's more likely one you like will be made :smile:
Extending on what someone found the other day during the Lodger, here's something I just found that's really weird -

As we mentioned there is a weird moment where Amy is looking at something in the TARDIS at 6:59-7:07, then she says "hang on" at about 7:05.

Also in that video is the really, really creepy portrait at 10:40.

At 3:28 she says "Doctor! Hang on" It definitely sounds like Amy saying 'hang on' and not the Doctor. What could it mean? Why does she say it a second time in the same manner?

Seriously, pause it at both points just before she says 'hang on' and she says it exactly the same way!

Also in the same video 3:00-3:13 Amy keeps glancing at something in the corner of her eye. This is really freaky!
(edited 13 years ago)
Further speculation on Silents in the Lodger

Somebody has compiled a whole host of clips, but none are as clear or big as that Amy seeing something, gasping and then going back to normal. I can't see anything of them being plausible except the Lodger episode one tbh.

And I really think there will be flashbacks during Series 6 to Series 5 episodes. They've done it before with the Coat/Future Doctor in the Angels episode. Sly but we spotted it. And Moffat said the timey wimey in this series is going to be crazier and bigger than ever. And you add on that stuff about the powers of a Silent.

More importantly, see those marking on River and Amy. Moffat said they were put their voluntarily. Do you think that they put them there every time they seen a Silent, only to turn around and forget?

Like the film Memento.
Somebody has compiled a whole host of clips, but none are as clear or big as that Amy seeing something, gasping and then going back to normal. I can't see anything of them being plausible except the Lodger episode one tbh.

And I really think there will be flashbacks during Series 6 to Series 5 episodes. They've done it before with the Coat/Future Doctor in the Angels episode. Sly but we spotted it. And Moffat said the timey wimey in this series is going to be crazier and bigger than ever. And you add on that stuff about the powers of a Silent.

More importantly, see those marking on River and Amy. Moffat said they were put their voluntarily. Do you think that they put them there every time they seen a Silent, only to turn around and forget?

Like the film Memento.

Yes, perhaps when they realise what the Silence are and what they do, they each carry pens around to and mark on themselves every time they see one, so even though they won't remember the nature of the meetings, at least they know how many times they met.

I think the reason she says 'Hang on' twice exactly the same way is because she sees a Silent in the TARDIS, but she forgets every time she looks away, so she is going to be saying the exact same thing every time they meet. It would be so cool/creepy if there has been a Silent in the TARDIS for all of Series 5, causing the cracks to appear everywhere they go. :ninja:

Arghh can't wait another two weeks :gah:

Latest