The Student Room Group

Your favorite budget beauty products!!

Okay, so its not all about big brands and outrageous pricing....

What are your favorite beauty products that come very cheap and very cheerful?

:smile:
Reply 1
*digs through cosmetics box*

Ponds Cold cream
Sudocrem (for spots)
The pink curl cream from boots- it's fantastic AND under £2 which is just cool.
Boots cucumber wipes- they're always on offer too.
Baby oil instead of body lotion
17 skin perfecting shine free foundation- works better than most of the expensive foundations I've tried! Good everyday medium coverage foundation, and comes in a pale enough colour for me.
collection 2000 lasting perfection concealer- I wasn't expecting it to be good, but it's REALLY good coverage and the perfect colour! To give you an idea of how good it is, I happily alternate between this and Benefit Boi-ing. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lazyswot
Ponds Cold cream
*digs through cosmetics box*

Sudocrem (for spots)
The pink curl cream from boots- it's fantastic AND under £2 which is just cool.
Boots cucumber wipes- they're always on offer too.
Baby oil instead of body lotion
17 skin perfecting shine free foundation- works better than most of the expensive foundations I've tried! Good everyday medium coverage foundation, and comes in a pale enough colour for me.
collection 2000 lasting perfection concealer- I wasn't expecting it to be good, but it's REALLY good coverage and the perfect colour! To give you an idea of how good it is, I happily alternate between this and Benefit Boi-ing. :biggrin:

Oooh, I second the collection 2000 concealer, I've tried loads of brands and I wouldn't live without it...

Also aspirin - I use an aspirin facemask about once a week, using 19p aspirin from Savers!

I really like the Simple skincare prods (cleanser, toner, moisturiser)

And generally for hairspray I find that there isn't much difference between brands & non-brands, I think the asda own brand stuff is about 40p and works absolutely fine if you just want to add a bit of volume...
Vaseline for lips, sudocrem for skin.
Reply 4
Original post by Smileawaythethunder
Oooh, I second the collection 2000 concealer, I've tried loads of brands and I wouldn't live without it...

Also aspirin - I use an aspirin facemask about once a week, using 19p aspirin from Savers!

And generally for hairspray I find that there isn't much difference between brands & non-brands, I think the asda own brand stuff is about 40p and works absolutely fine if you just want to add a bit of volume...

Yeah, you're right about the hairspray. I haven't found any expensive brand that's worth the money.
I'm interested in the Simple skincare line - have you tried the oil balancing moisturiser? I'm looking for a light, mattifying moisturiser for summer. :smile:
And I actually have a box of aspirin I bought purely for trying the aspiring face mask! I haven't found a way of doing the face mask that is effective for me though, so I'm mostly just working my way through my other face masks. I bought some clay for about £3 off ebay and make my own with cosmetic clay and tea tree oil and water!
i find the 17 eyeshadow singles good quality in the neutral colours and about 3.80!
volume million lashes mascara is amazing
mabelline blush mousse in peach satin
revlon colourstay foundation (purely brilliant)
collection 2000 concealer is grand is just as good as my mac one
natural collection lipstick in rose petal and apple blossom
Reply 6
Vaseline
Sudocrem for skin
Garnier skincare is really cheap but not bad at all
Palmers body lotion
L'Oreal Elnett Hairspray
Revlon lipsticks
Barry M nail polishes only (the lipsticks are awful and make me gag)
Dove body wash/shower cream
Olive oil + sea salt as a body scrub - never buy body scrub!

But I still do love luxe products
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7

I always use aspirin mask- cheap and effective :biggrin:
My list:
Lipstick - Boots Natural Collection in Crimson and Raspberry
Lipgloss- ELF Luscious Liquid Lipstick
Eyeliner- Avon Supershovk gel pencil
Nail Polish- Make Up Academy
Foundation- ELF mineral foundation
Original post by lazyswot
Yeah, you're right about the hairspray. I haven't found any expensive brand that's worth the money.
I'm interested in the Simple skincare line - have you tried the oil balancing moisturiser? I'm looking for a light, mattifying moisturiser for summer. :smile:
And I actually have a box of aspirin I bought purely for trying the aspiring face mask! I haven't found a way of doing the face mask that is effective for me though, so I'm mostly just working my way through my other face masks. I bought some clay for about £3 off ebay and make my own with cosmetic clay and tea tree oil and water!

I use the kind-to-skin one, but I'm going to try the oil-balancing one when I've finished this bottle - I used to use a great biore mattifying one but haven't found it on the shelves in about a year and a half.
Reply 9
I use the kind-to-skin one, but I'm going to try the oil-balancing one when I've finished this bottle - I used to use a great biore mattifying one but haven't found it on the shelves in about a year and a half.

I used to use that Biore one! I miss it :frown:
I'm using the neutrogena oil-free moisturiser now but it's not as good as I hoped. Doesn't seem to be mattifying at all on me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
All things E.L.F! Well known for being cheap but worth buying.
Original post by *mk92*
All things E.L.F! Well known for being cheap but worth buying.

I love a lot of their things :biggrin: the sizes of products are a bit small, but what would you expect for £1.50 :p:
Reply 12
Original post by TulipFields
I love a lot of their things :biggrin: the sizes of products are a bit small, but what would you expect for £1.50 :p:

Yeh the size is annoying which is why I'm going to keep buying it towards the end of each month. The whole £1.50 thing was shocking when I fisrt saw how cheap their products were and even convinced my mum into buying things from E.L.F as well! :smile:
Original post by *mk92*
Yeh the size is annoying which is why I'm going to keep buying it towards the end of each month. The whole £1.50 thing was shocking when I fisrt saw how cheap their products were and even convinced my mum into buying things from E.L.F as well! :smile:

My mum doesn't use make up except a lipgloss, and even then she prefers L'Oreal :mad:
I only buy from elf when there is a code around- which is quite often :biggrin: I just wish we had discount like those in America :moon:
Reply 14
Original post by TulipFields
My mum doesn't use make up except a lipgloss, and even then she prefers L'Oreal :mad:
I only buy from elf when there is a code around- which is quite often :biggrin: I just wish we had discount like those in America :moon:

How come America gets discount and we don't :confused: How unfair is that!?! How much discount do they get?
Original post by *mk92*
How come America gets discount and we don't :confused: How unfair is that!?! How much discount do they get?

We get either 20% off, free shipping or a free make up items, all on order s over £10
Americans have 50 % quite often, and generally better deals, plus they can buy it in some stores
It's cause UK company is not a part of the main company- they are just distributors and buy their stock from US company, and it wouldn't be economically sensible for them to sell it with a big discount :frown:
Lucky yanks :p:

and

A bit of TCP works wonders for my spots!
Johnson's Baby Oil
MUA Eyeshadows - just as good as MAC ones.
Vaseline
Coconut Oil
Natural Collection products
ELF products
Make Up Academy (MUA) eyeshadows and lipsticks- great quality and only £1!
Boots' Natural Collection mascaras are amazing, and even more so when you remember they only cost £1.99 each!

Quick Reply

Latest