The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Ahh this thread has nearly died even though only been left alone for 6 days!

Well I must say that there is some positivity in your PGCE year, when you get a job :biggrin: Sorry if some are finding it hard to find jobs, but I've just got one at a fantastic school just outside of Cambridge!

First interview, was so informal, just a relaxed chat with the head and head of geography, and got the call when I got home. Feel like a weight's been lifted from my shoulders :smile:

Good luck to those of you job hunting! My top tip: tell yourself you won't get the job, then you'll be more relaxed and not worry too much about it!
Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs

Well I must say that there is some positivity in your PGCE year, when you get a job :biggrin: Sorry if some are finding it hard to find jobs, but I've just got one at a fantastic school just outside of Cambridge!

First interview, was so informal, just a relaxed chat with the head and head of geography, and got the call when I got home. Feel like a weight's been lifted from my shoulders :smile:

Good luck to those of you job hunting! My top tip: tell yourself you won't get the job, then you'll be more relaxed and not worry too much about it!

Ahh that's good to hear, congrats :biggrin:
I've got a job interview on May 6th and am everso massively nervous.
Just wondering, what kinds of questions can I expect to be asked? I want to be as prepared as it possible!
Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs

Well done!
Original post by dobbs

Congrats on getting the job, i will be hopeing to get a job this time next year for secondary geography and just wondered if you found many jobs going?
Reply 264
Original post by Stray_talk
Ahh that's good to hear, congrats :biggrin:
I've got a job interview on May 6th and am everso massively nervous.
Just wondering, what kinds of questions can I expect to be asked? I want to be as prepared as it possible!

It really does differ between schools, at the beginning of the day at mine they said that they weren't trying to catch us out with any tricky questions but just keep it relaxed and find out about us and whether we'd fit in at the school. We all had to teach a 1 hour lesson and after that they said that all of the lessons were way above their expected standards so we went onto the individual interviews.

In terms of questions, I would certainly expect one along the lines of "Why did you apply for this job?" which I got straight away. Then I got things like "Which parts of geography interest you the most?" "What are your feelings about fieldwork?" "How would you handle a confidential disclosure from a pupil?" "Can you trace the origin of your wanting to be a teacher?" "Is there anything that frustrates or angers you about teaching?" and leading from that "How do you deal with that frustration or anger?"

Weirdly enough I really didn't prepare a massive amount, I looked at their website and read their Ofsted report and made some notes, so when they asked me "What do you think an outstanding lesson looks like?" and in their Ofsted report they had been given a target of reducing teacher-led lessons I was able to say that I felt an outstanding lesson was one which was very pupil-led with little teacher involvement, which can have multiple outcomes and able to involve all pupils. Something like that.

Just stay relaxed and don't worry too much, and consider your answers, don't rush into it. There were a couple of questions, such as "Can you tell me about a time where you've had to deal with a challenging pupil and what you did?" and I took a drink of water and considered a little while before answering. Think it shows you're only human and not too stressed to just rush into the first thing that comes to your head.

Original post by nikki_louise
Congrats on getting the job, i will be hopeing to get a job this time next year for secondary geography and just wondered if you found many jobs going?

There's a lot less than last year apparently, the most recent TES paper showed a table of the reductions from this time last year to this year and Geography advertisements were down something like 68%, which was roughly average. If you're flexible about where you want to go it shouldn't be too bad, but if you tie yourself down to one area of the country it can be pretty difficult.
Original post by dobbs

Well done on the job!!! You must be so relieved you've got that bit out of the way early on!!! :biggrin:

Original post by dobbs

True... but that feeling isn't always good! My first (and only) interview had an internal candidate who had been teaching the class on supply since September. It was his job before we'd even started! This was great in terms of making it really relaxing as I wasn't stressed at all because I knew I wouldn't get it, I was just there for the experience... but at the same time it was annoying as even though I did a good interview/lesson, the job was never going to be mine!

I want to get a job sorted so badly now, even though I know its early days. I'm seriously procrastinating from actual PGCE stuff as looking for jobs is more interesting... although its also annoying me as now would be a great time to visit schools but they're on holiday too!
Giving this thread a wee bump..... my uni have just posted me a list of deadline dates that I've never seen before and are 2 or more weeks earlier than they've led us to believe for the whole year... pretty much everything (QTS folder, essays etc) are all due the first week in June so I'm going to die between now and then :frown: They've also added in loads of random things we're supposed to have as observations of us teaching, which are totally new and weren't around 2 weeks ago.... several of which are KS specific so I've got to go and persuade my KS2 placement school to let me disrupt them all in KS1 for a few mornings whilst they observe me teaching random things to a class of kids I've never met just so my PGCE provider will be happy :frown:

It'd be fine if they'd told me in SEPTEMBER I needed observations of XY and Z but telling me in APRIL, giving me 3 weeks of teaching time and saying its a pass/fail the course issue isn't really helpful.

When is everyone else done and submitted with folders etc? :smile:
Reply 267
Original post by oxymoronic
Giving this thread a wee bump..... my uni have just posted me a list of deadline dates that I've never seen before and are 2 or more weeks earlier than they've led us to believe for the whole year... pretty much everything (QTS folder, essays etc) are all due the first week in June so I'm going to die between now and then :frown: They've also added in loads of random things we're supposed to have as observations of us teaching, which are totally new and weren't around 2 weeks ago.... several of which are KS specific so I've got to go and persuade my KS2 placement school to let me disrupt them all in KS1 for a few mornings whilst they observe me teaching random things to a class of kids I've never met just so my PGCE provider will be happy :frown:

It'd be fine if they'd told me in SEPTEMBER I needed observations of XY and Z but telling me in APRIL, giving me 3 weeks of teaching time and saying its a pass/fail the course issue isn't really helpful.

Wow thats ridiculous? What uni you at?

:hugs: that's awful. Complain!
Reply 269
[...] True... but that feeling isn't always good! My first (and only) interview had an internal candidate who had been teaching the class on supply since September. It was his job before we'd even started! This was great in terms of making it really relaxing as I wasn't stressed at all because I knew I wouldn't get it, I was just there for the experience... but at the same time it was annoying as even though I did a good interview/lesson, the job was never going to be mine! [...]

How did you know that they had an internal candidate?
Original post by evantej
How did you know that they had an internal candidate?

Because this guy had already been teaching this class on supply since September, so for 6 months. He was sat in the interview waiting room with us talking about how it'll be really cool once his job had been officially confirmed for the next academic year and he could stop worrying about it. I had asked in advance if I could get the current planning to prepare for my observed lesson and I'd been using this guys planning to do it so he was like "ahhh, you're XXXXX, the one who wanted my planning?? What did you think of X, next time I teach it I think I'll do it differently...."

It was pretty obvious that the school had already decided it was his job, he knew it was his job and the interview was more of a formality.

:hugs: that's awful. Complain!

People have and the response has been "get into a KS1 class if you're in KS2, you've got 3 weeks" as though thats a really simple thing to ask your school to do. Its just one thing after another. They've changed their requirements to many times during the year that you just can't keep up and each tutor has a totally different understanding/desire for what they want you to do anyway. I still don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing with loads of it as its changed so many times, then they've sent this lovely letter about random dates I didn't know existed.

Annoyed :frown:

Original post by 22KT22
Wow thats ridiculous? What uni you at?

Not saying... I'm far too easy to follow on this site :p:
Reply 271
Because this guy had already been teaching this class on supply since September, so for 6 months. He was sat in the interview waiting room with us talking about how it'll be really cool once his job had been officially confirmed for the next academic year and he could stop worrying about it. I had asked in advance if I could get the current planning to prepare for my observed lesson and I'd been using this guys planning to do it so he was like "ahhh, you're XXXXX, the one who wanted my planning?? What did you think of X, next time I teach it I think I'll do it differently...."

It was pretty obvious that the school had already decided it was his job, he knew it was his job and the interview was more of a formality.

People have and the response has been "get into a KS1 class if you're in KS2, you've got 3 weeks" as though thats a really simple thing to ask your school to do. Its just one thing after another. They've changed their requirements to many times during the year that you just can't keep up and each tutor has a totally different understanding/desire for what they want you to do anyway. I still don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing with loads of it as its changed so many times, then they've sent this lovely letter about random dates I didn't know existed.

Not saying... I'm far too easy to follow on this site :p:

Just wondered if it was the uni i was at twas all since it seems like something they'd do!

Hah, I imagine annoyed is a slight understatement.
It's not on at any rate, by any stretch of the imagination. I think they'd listen more if more people kicked up a fuss but what can you do! I suppose if anything, it prepares you for the job!
Reply 273

It was pretty obvious that the school had already decided it was his job, he knew it was his job and the interview was more of a formality. [...]

If I were in your situation, I am not sure whether I would have even bothered continuing with the interview. That just sucks to be honest. :frown:
Original post by 22KT22
Just wondered if it was the uni i was at twas all since it seems like something they'd do!

I've just had a look through your posts and no it isn't :smile:

Although it is good (sorry!) that other places are this disorganised as I've got friends doing PGCEs with other providers who are sailing through as A) they don't have to do half of the crap I've got to do to get 60 M level credits that I can't use for the Masters course I want to do and B) they were given a definitive list of requirements and deadlines in September which has been stuck to rather than changing every 10 seconds.

Are you primary or secondary? Sorry I can never remember!

Hah, I imagine annoyed is a slight understatement.
It's not on at any rate, by any stretch of the imagination. I think they'd listen more if more people kicked up a fuss but what can you do! I suppose if anything, it prepares you for the job!

I think the entire course has kicked up a fuss... there is a massive debate on facebook that I'm staying out of (the uni know about it) as I think that kind of thing will do more harm than good. I wouldn't mind it preparing me for the job if I were actually going to need my 20,000 words about stupid theories on too many topics related to education - said as someone who actually likes the theoretical and academic side of education! Its as though they've just created stuff for us to do so they can present us with 60 worthless M level credits as it'll make the government happy.

On another note... I think I've enthusiastically signed myself up to visit too many schools and now need to decide which ones to cancel on.
Reply 275
I've just had a look through your posts and no it isn't :smile:

Although it is good (sorry!) that other places are this disorganised as I've got friends doing PGCEs with other providers who are sailing through as A) they don't have to do half of the crap I've got to do to get 60 M level credits that I can't use for the Masters course I want to do and B) they were given a definitive list of requirements and deadlines in September which has been stuck to rather than changing every 10 seconds.

Are you primary or secondary? Sorry I can never remember!

I think the entire course has kicked up a fuss... there is a massive debate on facebook that I'm staying out of (the uni know about it) as I think that kind of thing will do more harm than good. I wouldn't mind it preparing me for the job if I were actually going to need my 20,000 words about stupid theories on too many topics related to education - said as someone who actually likes the theoretical and academic side of education! Its as though they've just created stuff for us to do so they can present us with 60 worthless M level credits as it'll make the government happy.

On another note... I think I've enthusiastically signed myself up to visit too many schools and now need to decide which ones to cancel on.

I'm not doing a PGCE thankfully, am doing the 4 year primary course but can simpathise with some of the stress and know people doing pgces in many unis so find it interesting to get an insight into other side of training. I felt the same when I spoke to another mate doing the same course about placement and she said shed had trouble too :smile:
Original post by evantej
If I were in your situation, I am not sure whether I would have even bothered continuing with the interview. That just sucks to be honest. :frown:

That would have been even more pointless. I'd managed to get to the interview stage so I may as well use it as interview experience. Like I said, it was quite good in a way as I knew I wasn't getting the job so could just concentrate on it being a run through of the real thing for later interviews :smile:

I think its just part and parcel of being in teaching. My mum is also a teacher and she said she's been to several interviews where there was an internal candidate who was already teaching at the school, then they'd almost invited "representatives" of different areas of teaching, like a BEd NQT, PGCE NQT, teacher with a few years experience etc.... but obviously kept on the person who was already at the school.
Reply 277
That would have been even more pointless. I'd managed to get to the interview stage so I may as well use it as interview experience. Like I said, it was quite good in a way as I knew I wasn't getting the job so could just concentrate on it being a run through of the real thing for later interviews :smile:

I think its just part and parcel of being in teaching. My mum is also a teacher and she said she's been to several interviews where there was an internal candidate who was already teaching at the school, then they'd almost invited "representatives" of different areas of teaching, like a BEd NQT, PGCE NQT, teacher with a few years experience etc.... but obviously kept on the person who was already at the school.

I'm just quoting this because it's the last bit, but I'd be pretty upset/frustrated/insert expletive of your choice here if my university had done that to me, too. You'll get through it, though - somehow we always do on this course! I think if I'd been told that I'd have to get through what I have done to survive this long I would have been filling out a supermarket application this time last year!

You'll get there - the end really is close now :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by *River

Original post by *River
I'm just quoting this because it's the last bit, but I'd be pretty upset/frustrated/insert expletive of your choice here if my university had done that to me, too. You'll get through it, though - somehow we always do on this course! I think if I'd been told that I'd have to get through what I have done to survive this long I would have been filling out a supermarket application this time last year!

Ha ha - true!

That's my attitude with this entire course... I've not really got overly stressed about it (despite the above posts) as I know it'll all get done and I know it'll all be fine. That's what has always happened in the past - I've always got things done on time and I've always done well. So why would it be different this time? I want the end result enough :smile:

You'll get there - the end really is close now :smile:.

Yep :biggrin: Just wish I knew about jobs stuff then I can book my summer holiday rather than feeling I can't spend any money as I'm on the brink of unemployment. But hopefully by this time next week that will have changed.

You heard back about a school for you yet? :smile:
Thought I'd revive this to remind everyone that we're nearly at the end so keep on going!!!! 5 weeks (ish) to go till we're fully qualified teachers :biggrin:

(Currently drowning in my QTS folder)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending