The Student Room Group

Friend who loves being centre of attention??

Hey - please keep anon.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had an experience like this??

I have this friend and well she's one of those characters that love to be the centre of attention - if I was to be talking to a group of people, she'd run in and try and take the lime light. She thinks she owns the entire sixth form - Ie she doesn't follow the rules of the school, walks around thinking she owns the place and is generally really bitchy... Loads of people have told me that hanging around with her has brought out the worst in me.

I don't know what to do to be honest? There's only a few more months of sixth form left but I really am starting to find her annoying - she's the attention seeking type that feeds of putting other people down/making herself seem superior.

Long story short:
Has anyone else had such experiences? What did you do? What should I do?

Thanks guys.
Reply 1
So you're on here seeking our attention, about a friend who loves a attention?!

Irony is mind blowing.
Reply 2
Original post by Moderation

Irony is mind blowing.

Grow up. I'm not seeking attention. I'm asking for advice. If you don't know the difference I suggest looking in the dictionary.
Reply 3
Tbh if theres only a few months left of sixth form its not really worth it, having a fight will put you and her down because no one wants to hear they are attention seeking. Just be yourself and be an individual and make the most of your last few months rather than spending it bitching and fighting
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Grow up. I'm not seeking attention. I'm asking for advice. If you don't know the difference I suggest looking in the dictionary.

Reply 5
Original post by Moderation

Irony is mind blowing.

Ditch.
Reply 7
I've been in a similar situation. Think of it this way: You don't have to talk to this person again in a couple of months time. Unfortunately there will always be people like this in your life you can either grin and bear it or punch them on your last day. Whichever makes you feel better.
Reply 8

On a more serious note, i'd avoid mingling with any one with amy sort of personality extremity/dysfunction. It will come crashing down one day and she will only learn through expressing this facet of her being and then finding for herself that it isn't always acceptable/appropriate.

Having said that I think the confinements on social interactions should be abolished and errbody should behave as they wish and not have to adhere to any norms - I say good on her. However you appear to be posting from a negative angle so I assume her behaviour is beyond mere self confidence/expression and bordering arrogant narrcism.

...if you can't beat 'em..join em?
i know a similar person who doesn't like not abide by rules or anything but she's just incredibly loud and self centered and sulks if she doesn't get her own way, and on top of that is attention seeking. we used to be friends last year because she came from a different school but gradually i got more and more annoyed at her so just stopped hanging out with her really. do you do lots of things with her all the time? do you talk to her a lot? is she your BEST friend? because maybe just distance yourself. it might help. or hang out with other friends. it's tricky. do you actually like her? because i've grown to just dislike the girl i used to be friends with, so its easier for me to just stop talking to her.
Reply 10
Original post by Scribblet
I've been in a similar situation. Think of it this way: You don't have to talk to this person again in a couple of months time. Unfortunately there will always be people like this in your life you can either grin and bear it or punch them on your last day. Whichever makes you feel better.

Someone who understands! :smile: thank you. Definitely think I'd have to just put up with her and then never speak to her again then. I'm not the aggressive kind but I am kind of at the end of my tether with her. Thanks again xx
Reply 11
Original post by pooo

On a more serious note, i'd avoid mingling with any one with amy sort of personality extremity/dysfunction. It will come crashing down one day and she will only learn through expressing this facet of her being and then finding for herself that it isn't always acceptable/appropriate.

Having said that I think the confinements on social interactions should be abolished and errbody should behave as they wish and not have to adhere to any norms - I say good on her. However you appear to be posting from a negative angle so I assume her behaviour is beyond mere self confidence/expression and bordering arrogant narrcism.

...if you can't beat 'em..join em?

If it was only me saying it, then I wouldn't be complaining. Many people have already agreed with this angle - even at times when I was sticking up for her. I don't think it's a good thing anymore tbh. I used to be part of it but now I've stepped back and taken a look at it all it really upsets me that I used to be as bitchy as her...
Reply 12
Original post by alasicannotswim
i know a similar person who doesn't like not abide by rules or anything but she's just incredibly loud and self centered and sulks if she doesn't get her own way, and on top of that is attention seeking. we used to be friends last year because she came from a different school but gradually i got more and more annoyed at her so just stopped hanging out with her really. do you do lots of things with her all the time? do you talk to her a lot? is she your BEST friend? because maybe just distance yourself. it might help. or hang out with other friends. it's tricky. do you actually like her? because i've grown to just dislike the girl i used to be friends with, s
To its easier for me to just stop talking to her.

We used to be really good friends. Basically me and her used to be like really bitchy together. But like recently I've realised that it's not a good thing to be as cow-like as that, predominantly because I realised that when the tough got going she was willing just to back stab me and start being really bitchy to me too. Shes in most of my lessons and always needs my help so it's gonna be hard for me to randomly distance myself from her because then it would cause her to get frustrated as she wouldn't know what was wrong which would cause unnecessary tension... I kind of just want her to stop speaking to me so I don't have to tell her why I'm acting cold towards her.
Reply 13
Terminate friendship, with immediate effect.

If you've tried and failed on saving her from a life of bitchy misery then just leave it at that. Her behaviour has a reason beyond the obvious, she'll meet her own end and hopefully come out a better person after it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by pooo
Terminate friendship, with immediate effect.

If you've tried and failed on saving her from a life of bitchy misery then just leave it at that. Her behaviour has a reason beyond the obvious, she'll meet her own end and hopefully come out a better person after it.

Thank you :smile: +rep xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending