The Student Room Group

Applying for waiter job.

Basically as title I'm applying for a job as a waiter but my two jobs have been as a labourer and a MOD call handler. Any help / tips anyone can give me. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
You need to think about skills you've developed in your previous positions that would be beneficial in this job. For example, have you learned to deal effectively with the public/work effectively in a team/work well in a fast paced environment/deal with multiple tasks at the same time?
Reply 2
Original post by moregano
You need to think about skills you've developed in your previous positions that would be beneficial in this job. For example, have you learned to deal effectively with the public/work effectively in a team/work well in a fast paced environment/deal with multiple tasks at the same time?

Thank you.
Reply 3
I would imagine 'people skills', presentability and being able to deal with pressure are high up on desirable skills.
Reply 4
Lol unless you are applying to a big chain restaurant then I wouldn't worry about it. I've had various waiting and bar jobs, most of which were in well respected places, and they have never asked questions like, what skill could you bring, what have you learned in previous jobs blah blah. All they want to know is, do you have experience in the catering industry, if not how long could you learn. Do you want to do a trial shift. That's it, it's very informal.

Also if you get the job don't be surprised at being put straight in the deep end. But don't worry about struggling, if you are, just ask and most people will be willing to help. But if you don't ask, they wont help!
Reply 5
Hah I didn't get the job. :frown: Applied for a pharmacy assistant now lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending