The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Places not to live in Glasgow

Scroll to see replies

everywhere is fine to live in glasgow, its not like america where they have guns, lol.

i am way way way more likely to get robbed from going on holiday to europe for example. i never see pickpocketing in glasgow, but i have seen it everywhere else in europe, it is very easy to avoid any trouble that may come your way in glasgow.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Glasgow.
Reply 22
As a student you will want to live in the west end, or the city centre.

The 'dangerous' parts are a bit further out, and are generally places you would never find reason to go to.

Every city has it's good parts and bad parts, and I'm sure you'll come to know them after a wee while of being here. One thing is for sure though, you will never, ever get trouble for being Italian, or any other nationality inside the eu for that matter. Except for maybe the odd nutter claiming Polish people are taking jobs - these people fail to realise they're doing the jobs we don't want.
Reply 23
Avoid the East End and the Clyde area and try getting something in the West End; Partick, Kelvinbridge, Hillhead and parts of Maryhill are probably best with a ~20 min walk to campus. As an international student, you could also ask for emails of other ERASMUS students from the admissions office or the registry to see if you can flatshare with them if you want to live with other international students, they offered me something similar when I moved to Glasgow and was having trouble finding a flat.
Reply 24
Hey! Im currently at Glasgow uni (spent 2 years there doing economics...im sure you will enjoy it). However the university and the surrounding areas are all lovely! Glasgow is a big place and like all places it has a few bad bits, but you are not near any of them so don't worry!

I find it rather funny when people in this thread are like 'avoid all other parts at all costs'!! Seriously, you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Most parts of Glasgow are the same as every other place. Just the select few that are not.
Reply 25
Original post by Delaney
The student village is in Maryhill. I would avoid Maryhill.

The student village is not in Maryhill, it is primarily Hillhead and Kelvinbridge. If you are referring to Murano street halls then yes they are in Maryhill, but barely. Right on the outskirts.
Reply 26
Original post by PerigeeApogee
Where are you?

I grew up in Easterhouse, currently living in the middle of nowhere, moving to the West End in a few months.

If you know Stepford football pitches just down the road from there basically.

I also grew up in Easterhouse. It was smashing.
Reply 27
Original post by emiazz
Hi everyone,
I'm from northern Italy and hopefully I'll spend next year in University of Glasgow studying Economics! (Erasmus).

Since Erasmus students don't get good opportunities with uni accommodations, I'm looking for a private one.
But I heard that there are some dangerous areas in Glasgow (especially for a foreign guy), and I wouldn't like to live there!

So could you please tell me which are the areas I should avoid?
If you think that there are other reasons why I should avoid some areas, besides criminality, please let me know!

Thank you!

Ciao emiazz,

I'm from just outside glasgow, so I will try my best to help. Most places in glasgow city centre are absolutely fine to live in, however some area in tradeston, the gorbals, and dennistoun can be a bit dodgy. However having said that the new devlepments in these areas are fine. Most of the west end of glasgow near glasgow uni (kelvinbridge, kelvingrove, kelvinside etc) are absolutley fine to live in aswell. The only areas in the westend that again can be quite dodgy in some areas are, maryhill, some parts of anniesland. The south side of glasgow is in the most part really nice, and is fairly cheaper to stay than the west end and city centre, but is still quite safe. There are some area of the southdside that are still quite rough, however langside, shawlands, mount florida etc are fantastic places to live. Warning though stay away from tory glen!!!!! I would personnaly recommend the south side as it is very much an upcoming place in glasgow and there are lots of students there.
I would advise you to stay well away from anywhere in the east end of glasgow because although there are one or two nice places, for the most part it is rough. And by rough I mean napoli rough! Again north glasgow can be ok, but it's not really for students.
My advice would be to find somewhere in the west end, preferably near glasgow uni, in the city centre (avoiding tradeston, anywhere past trongate, some parts of denniston and the old parts of the gorbals), or the south side, stick to the shawlands, langside, mount florida area. These generally are the areas most students stay in anyway.
Also if you want, you could always try and get student accomodation in one of the private student halls, which are mainly in the merchant city (city centre). Here's the link: http://www.unite-students.com/student-accommodation/glasgow/blackfriars

As for you being an italian in glasgow, well you'll no doubt have no trouble there as there is a massive italian community in glasgow. All ranging from lecce, bari (where my father comes from) to Bergamo and Milan. There is an abundance of italian restaurants (although only a few cook italian food the way you are used to). So don't worry about feeling like a stranger or feel that the locals will be intimidated by you, because they are more than used to italians by now, and have grown to love the italian community.

I would also like to point out that you should prepare yourself for a total change in the quality of food you are used to. Scotland has good cusine don't get me wrong, but the food most of the supermarkets and to some extent the restaurants sell will not be to your standard, especially the italian food shops sell. A small tip, don't buy pizza from pizza hut, dominoes or papa johns, they are not what an italian would call pizza. If you would like a proper authentic pizza try and find a good italian pizzeria, I would recomend the italian kitchen on ingram street and the mediterraneo on ingram street, they both have stone bake ovens and italian pizza chefs.

Anyway, good luck on finding a place to stay and if you want to ask anymore question, quote this or PM me.:smile:

EDIT: I also forgot to mention if you are thinking about living outside glasgow, then don't live in south lanarkshire. I come from south lanarkshire, and I can assure you, it is not a place you want to stay lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Schumacher
If you know Stepford football pitches just down the road from there basically.

I also grew up in Easterhouse. It was smashing.

By smashing you mean smashing your face in with a chib?
Reply 29
Original post by EmilyMcB
The student village is not in Maryhill, it is primarily Hillhead and Kelvinbridge. If you are referring to Murano street halls then yes they are in Maryhill, but barely. Right on the outskirts.

I stand corrected and did mean to say the Murano Street Halls. Coming from someone who's dad was brought up in Maryhill and who's mum was brought up in Riddrie it is too close to Maryhill for my liking haha.
Reply 30
Original post by emiazz
Hi everyone,
I'm from northern Italy and hopefully I'll spend next year in University of Glasgow studying Economics! (Erasmus).

Since Erasmus students don't get good opportunities with uni accommodations, I'm looking for a private one.
But I heard that there are some dangerous areas in Glasgow (especially for a foreign guy), and I wouldn't like to live there!

So could you please tell me which are the areas I should avoid?
If you think that there are other reasons why I should avoid some areas, besides criminality, please let me know!

Thank you!

I live in the West End I have to say it's the place to be, currently living just off Great Western Road in a privately rented house near the end of Sauchiehall Street (perfect for access to the clubs as they're only 4-5 mins away :wink: ). Most of the people who live around the area are really really nice, it's quiet and clean, no trouble whatsoever. There's also some REALLY nice takeaways, my god they're so good... I think you'd do yourself best being in the West End, you'd be near your Uni and the subway grants you quick access to the centre!

I used to live in the center on Strathclyde's campus, and it was completely fine, but just north of there at Townhead where some of my friends live now, one of them actually got mugged not long ago, 3-4 feet from the back door to his house. I'd definitely say don't live there... Although a lot of students DO live there there's too many shady people and goings on for my liking!

Edit: Oh in Townhead we also got a firework thrown at a group of us on bonfire night, caused no damage except temporary deafness, but if it had been bigger there'd have been a few burns on the go! Fun times :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Nutini
I live in the West End I have to say it's the place to be, currently living just off Great Western Road in a privately rented house near the end of Sauchiehall Street (perfect for access to the clubs as they're only 4-5 mins away :wink: ). Most of the people who live around the area are really really nice, it's quiet and clean, no trouble whatsoever. There's also some REALLY nice takeaways, my god they're so good... I think you'd do yourself best being in the West End, you'd be near your Uni and the subway grants you quick access to the centre!

I used to live in the center on Strathclyde's campus, and it was completely fine, but just north of there at Townhead where some of my friends live now, one of them actually got mugged not long ago, 3-4 feet from the back door to his house. I'd definitely say don't live there... Although a lot of students DO live there there's too many shady people and goings on for my liking!

Edit: Oh in Townhead we also got a firework thrown at a group of us on bonfire night, caused no damage except temporary deafness, but if it had been bigger there'd have been a few burns on the go! Fun times :biggrin:

Strathclyde doesn't actually have a campus.
Reply 32
I see.

Where did you go to school? We may well be acquaintences.

Bannerman, was only in Easterhouse for a few of my younger years then moved to one of the places you have already mentioned. :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by U.S Lecce
By smashing you mean smashing your face in with a chib?

:biggrin:

Don't scare the OP :tongue:
Reply 34
Haha, fair enough. I went to St. Andrew's.

Spent my early years in Easterhouse, then moved to dreaded chapelhall, then spent most of my adolscence in Baillieston (straight across from St. Bridget's!), and now back in Chapelhall pending my move to the West End when I finish my exams.

I'm about...literally a five minute walk away from where you were lol. Down the hill from Garrowhill Primary. Small world :tongue:
Reply 35
Original post by U.S Lecce
Strathclyde doesn't actually have a campus.

It does, it's called the John Anderson Campus, all the accommodation and lecture theatres are there.
Original post by cowsforsale
woodlands, partick, byers road, kelvinbridge, parts of maryhill are all good.

Avoid areas like gorbals, govan, east end, sighthill, possil, possilpark etc...

You'll be fine, don't worry. I thought most ERASMUS students lived in private accommodation.

I'm not from Scotland but I live in the Gorbals and it's actually really great :smile: it's all been regenerated and it's quiet and friendly. It's not close by for Glasgow uni but it's a good area and really cheap to live in :smile:
Original post by hollypinata
I'm not from Scotland but I live in the Gorbals and it's actually really great :smile: it's all been regenerated and it's quiet and friendly. It's not close by for Glasgow uni but it's a good area and really cheap to live in :smile:

I heard the gorbals is a bit mental from people I work with who live there. They were giving me a lift to bridge street subway and were given me the tour

" Ma pal got stabbed over there, another murdered over there. Did you hear about the indian boy who got murder for fags that happened down there"
Easterhouse, Parkhead East End, Gorbals and Govan. West end has its bad areas as well though. :wink:
Reply 39
Places not to live in, Glasgow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending