The Student Room Group

Cameron urges street party celebrations

The prime minister has called on the nation to "get on and have fun" on the day of the royal wedding, urging Britons to organise street parties.

In the Sun newspaper, David Cameron warns councils "not to interfere", after reports of "petty bureaucracy".

He says 29 April will be a "chance [to]... celebrate the great things about our country".

It comes after recent figures revealed 4,000 applications for street parties in England and Wales.

On Monday, Mr Cameron will travel to the north of England, with wife Samantha, to promote street celebrations.

Urgent guidance
The Department for Communities and Local Government is also expected to issue urgent new guidance for councils who have attempted to stop royal wedding festivities with unnecessary conditions.

In February, Transport Secretary Philip Hammond wrote to all local councils in England informing them that he was cutting Whitehall red tape by scrapping existing government road-closure guidance.

He said the move was designed to make it easier for councils to let street parties go ahead and allow local communities to celebrate without being inundated by paperwork.

Mr Cameron writes in the Sun: "Samantha and I will be holding one in Downing Street and bringing together local people and charities.

"It's incredibly simple. All you need to do is to get in touch with your council if you need to close the road. They'll let you know if there are any issues.

"My message to everyone who wants to have a street party is: I'm having one and I want you to go ahead and have one too.

"The truth is that this is a great chance for communities to come together and celebrate.

"So go on - bring out the bunting and let's make this a day to remember. For everyone."

..... I for one, shall stay at home. :colonhash:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Clown of a PM.
Couldn't give half a **** about this royal wedding!
I don't even know the ****ers so why should I waste my time celebrating?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
PM of Mars.
Original post by Sushidelight
The prime minister has called on the nation to "get on and have fun" on the day of the royal wedding, urging Britons to organise street parties.

In the Sun newspaper, David Cameron warns councils "not to interfere", after reports of "petty bureaucracy".

He says 29 April will be a "chance [to]... celebrate the great things about our country".

It comes after recent figures revealed 4,000 applications for street parties in England and Wales.

On Monday, Mr Cameron will travel to the north of England, with wife Samantha, to promote street celebrations.

Urgent guidance
The Department for Communities and Local Government is also expected to issue urgent new guidance for councils who have attempted to stop royal wedding festivities with unnecessary conditions.

In February, Transport Secretary Philip Hammond wrote to all local councils in England informing them that he was cutting Whitehall red tape by scrapping existing government road-closure guidance.

He said the move was designed to make it easier for councils to let street parties go ahead and allow local communities to celebrate without being inundated by paperwork.

Mr Cameron writes in the Sun: "Samantha and I will be holding one in Downing Street and bringing together local people and charities.

"It's incredibly simple. All you need to do is to get in touch with your council if you need to close the road. They'll let you know if there are any issues.

"My message to everyone who wants to have a street party is: I'm having one and I want you to go ahead and have one too.

"The truth is that this is a great chance for communities to come together and celebrate.

"So go on - bring out the bunting and let's make this a day to remember. For everyone."

..... I for one, shall stay at home. :colonhash:

What a patronising, populist douchebag we have in No. 10 :colonhash:
Reply 5
^ Haha, there's really no pleasing some people.
Reply 6
Tbh its a good idea.

Although im not a fan of the Royals, there is nothing better than bringing communities together and its a really great excuse to do so.

Gotta love how all the immigrants are bashing though.
Reply 7
After crippling the UKs funding, he expects us to "party". The only time when Street parties of such a scale occur, is when Cameron leaves no 10 for Good! :party:
Reply 8
What a bunch of miserable sods we have here.
Reply 9
Despite everything, if it's a holiday then I don't mind :tongue:
Some people will really use any excuse to Cameron-bash, it's not even funny. It's like someone told them it was fashionable so now they don't even think about a story before "PM from Mars" et cetera.
Some people will just always hate....
I shall be partaking in the Royal Wedding drinking game and getting royally battered. Does that count?
I like the idea of the community coming together but I don't really care that much about the wedding
i think the street parties are a brilliant idea,
i dont care about the royal wedding, it means nothing to me, but a extra day off for my birthday :biggrin:
but the street parties are an amazing idea, bringing communities together and just fun, i wish i lived on a street so i could have one lol . x
Reply 15
Oh look some inbred, over-priviledged toffs are getting married, let's celebrate!
Original post by Dekota-XS
Clown of a PM.

How exactly is he a clown for trying to bring peoples communities together?

Its better than Labours approach to community spirit; "Lock your doors, dont leave your house, suspect everybody, trust no one. Is your neighbour a bit eccentric, keeps his curtains closed? He might be a terrorist!! Report him by calling this number....."

:rolleyes:
What a jackass.
We can only have street parties if the weather is good.....and this is England so it won't be.
Reply 18
Original post by Greenlaner
How exactly is he a clown for trying to bring peoples communities together?

Its better than Labours approach to community spirit; "Lock your doors, dont leave your house, suspect everybody, trust no one. Is your neighbour a bit eccentric, keeps his curtains closed? He might be a terrorist!! Report him by calling this number....."

:rolleyes:

Or perhaps Davids "Hug a Hoodie" scheme.
Of course he wants people to throw street parties, any excuse to distract from the mess he's making of this country...

Latest

Trending

Trending