The Student Room Group

UNRELIABLE EDEXCEL MARKERS - My remark went up by 10 MARKS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This is scary. I have a horrible hand writing.
(edited 13 years ago)
My English GCSE went from an E to an A*. However that is possible, I don't know. They actually made me pay for the remark.

PS: Not Edexcel but CIE.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
There should be a single national exam board with proper systems in place to ensure fairness in marking, it's also ridiculous that they try to price people out of trying for remarks by charging them upwards of £40 just for them to look over and correct mistakes that shouldn't have been made in the first place. To put this into context I took gov/pol A2 unit route D international politics and for a single 20 mark question when remarked went from 9/20 to 18/20. It's an absolute shambles.
Reply 43
AQA A2 Psychology - Few problems in January with some people expected to fail getting 90's and someone that could've got an A* got a C. Then in August everyone had to get their papers remarked and mine went up 18 UMS. Really makes me think I should've had some of my GCSE's done when I had the chance. Don't know how thry can get AS Economics 10 marks out - some of it is multiple choice!
Original post by Liam_G

It's really worrying... How can you mark a paper 3 grades lower than what it was worth?

I've heard that some exam boards were paying undergrad students a pittance to mark them in order to save money, and they quite understandably didn't have much of an idea what they were doing. Long gone are the days when exam boards entrusted our papers with qualified and knowledgeable markers :frown:

It's strange to think that identical exams could be marked differently depending on where in the country they are sent to...

It's quite worrying really as you don't know what is going to happen to your exam paper once it's sent off, and that it could get 20 odd more marks had it been marked by someone else. My English teacher told us how he got his friends to mark the exam papers as he didn't have them marked on time... Nice.
Reply 45
Original post by Hazular
Same with AQA English Lit at my school. Especially with subjects such as Eng Lit or history, where it's sort of subjective. With more scientific subjects you're usually either right or wrong.

Biology has some of the most vague, misinterpretable questions I have ever come across. I have done Biology, Chemistry, Use of Maths, English language, History, Critical thinking and music to at least AS level or further.
wow......

If your history paper is made up of questions like that, please, tell me your exam board.
Reply 47
Went up something like 30 marks in my english lit gsce... not all of them get it right.
Original post by Liam_G
Last year everyone In my sixth form's History class underperformed massively in their exams, so they were all sent back. Everybody's grade improved, and some of them went from E's to B's.

Seriously.

same with our history class except noones went up....everyone resat in january and got 4 grades higher than summer exams...the school even appealed to edexcel cas people got their papers back and when the teachers marked it they wouldve got a lot higher!
Original post by GreenDiff
I had my AS Unit 1 Edexcel Economics remarked, and it went up by 10 marks!

Obviously I'm happy but I think it's disgusting that an examiner can get it so terribly wrong. Other people could be walking around and applying for university with results that don't actually mirror their true potential.

Anyone faced similar situations?

ur lucky my friends physics paper went down 8 marks

Original post by Groat
Thank goodness I'm only doing Maths with Edexcel . . . unless they manage to get that incredibly wrong as well!

they mess up math as well...my friends paper went up 6 marks going from a B to an A in C2
Reply 49
Original post by Nayberay
Your sig is so unbelievably epic!

I honestly didn't realise it would be so popular :nah:
i do History on Edexcel and my teacher has always told us that they are very generous :colonhash:
AQA for English Lit are terrible though. Last year everyone in the college got E's or U's. Then remarked got A's and B's.
Original post by asparkyn
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

They "lost" the exam papers? What did they do, leave it to burn in a fireplace or something? That's so irresponsible of them!

No, the extra paper just wont have scanned in - edexcel use on screen marking.
This thread has made me paranoid. I always wondered why one result on my English paper was a C when all the others were A's and I got all A's on the past papers. Oh well too late now, that was a year ago and I got in anyway. Too bad I can't get a transfer though.
This is going back a few years now, but one of my assignments in philosophy and ethics, (Edexcel) was provisionally marked by my teacher at a grade A/B. When it got sent off to the board it came back as a E :-| along with the rest of the class who had expected a higher grade than they were given.

I had it remarked and it came back with a B :rolleyes:

I was the only one who requested a remark and I'm glad I did. If my teacher had marked it originally at a E, or even a D, then I would've accepted that. But that was a huge difference.

My teacher said there are some examiners that either don't know what they're doing so they strictly adhere to the grading criteria or if you're lucky you'll get an examiner who has been marking for years and actually know what they are doing. My mum used to work at Edexcel and apparently they advertise for examiners around the exam period, which imo is slightly wrong, because you're messing with people's lives lol, then again, someone needs to do the job.

It's a shame, but I guess it's down to pot luck with who marks your exam/coursework.
Original post by GreenDiff
I really felt I had done better than the mark I originally got, and this proved that. I'd urge anyone who has taken an Edexcel paper and underperformed to get a remark. Obviously their markers are incapable

Is it too late to ask for a remark? It's the Easter holidays now but back in March I got really bad marks for Edexcel C2 and S1 (retakes), worse than my first sitting, even though I worked sooo incredibly hard and didn't think there was anything wrong with the paper. My teacher said that if I felt as though I did really well then I could ask to get my paper back. Is it too late to get my paper back? Is it too late to get a remark?
Don't really know if you're joking or serious.
Reply 56
That probably explains my grade 4 history...
i mean ..i cant even read my own handwriting....=/
I was 1 UMS off my nottingham offer last year. Got remark through 2 weeks later and it went up from a low B to a 95% A, so all I can say is **** you exam boards.
Reply 58
Well with facts like that, there's an OBVIOUS wrong or right answer. But if you've got a question such as "To what extent did X lead to Y" or "Why did Z happen", you're gonna be getting more subjective answers.

Original post by Cinamon
Biology has some of the most vague, misinterpretable questions I have ever come across. I have done Biology, Chemistry, Use of Maths, English language, History, Critical thinking and music to at least AS level or further.

That's nothing to do with whether the subject is subjective or not, it's about your understanding of the question. If you've got a question where you have to label a cell or whatever, there are right answers and there are wrong answers, there isn't an inbetween.
Original post by Hazular

That's nothing to do with whether the subject is subjective or not, it's about your understanding of the question. If you've got a question where you have to label a cell or whatever, there are right answers and there are wrong answers, there isn't an inbetween.

I think they're talking about the actual Biology exam itself. There are often subjective questions, stuff like "arguments for/against IVF" etc.

Quick Reply

Latest