The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Places not to live in Glasgow

Hi everyone,
I'm from northern Italy and hopefully I'll spend next year in University of Glasgow studying Economics! (Erasmus).

Since Erasmus students don't get good opportunities with uni accommodations, I'm looking for a private one.
But I heard that there are some dangerous areas in Glasgow (especially for a foreign guy), and I wouldn't like to live there!

So could you please tell me which are the areas I should avoid?
If you think that there are other reasons why I should avoid some areas, besides criminality, please let me know!

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'd suggest you'd find accomm as close to uni as possible. the area there is safe plus it would save you a lot of money on travel and time, its also just the convenience. if not then the west end is generally considered to be safe bar maryhill. the city centre is also nice if you have the cash. i'd avoid living south of the river (tho i'm sure some areas are nice, but generally it's a bit of a dump) and try not to go further east than merchant city :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 3
yeah that's a nice location and a lot of students live there cos its close to glasgow caledonian and strathclyde. Buchanan view (intercollegiate accommodation for students) is also there. it's in the city centre so there are looads of pubs and clubs nearby and i've walked through this area at night a few times and its very safe in my experience. queen street is also very close to a subway station so going to uni from there is easy. only disadvantage i can think off is that it might be a bit pricey but i'm sure you'll find something which matches your budget
Reply 4
Thank you guys!
Reply 5
The student village is in Maryhill. I would avoid Maryhill.
Italian eh? I'm sure you'll be made very welcome. :sexface:
Reply 7
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Italian eh? I'm sure you'll be made very welcome. :sexface:

Are you serious? I hope I will! :colondollar: are Italian guys well accepted around there?
Original post by emiazz
Are you serious? I hope I will! :colondollar: are Italian guys well accepted around there?

Glasgow is a very friendly city and there are loads of international students at Glasgow University, so yes you'll be fine. :biggrin: And Italian guys are well accepted the world over. :wink:
Original post by emiazz
Hi everyone,
I'm from northern Italy and hopefully I'll spend next year in University of Glasgow studying Economics! (Erasmus).

Since Erasmus students don't get good opportunities with uni accommodations, I'm looking for a private one.
But I heard that there are some dangerous areas in Glasgow (especially for a foreign guy), and I wouldn't like to live there!

So could you please tell me which are the areas I should avoid?
If you think that there are other reasons why I should avoid some areas, besides criminality, please let me know!

Thank you!

I was born in Sicily and doing my degree at Glasgow Uni. I lived in the West End and also in South of Glasgow. I love the south of Glasgow. Authentic and cheap. And, sometimes (in some bar/pups) you will also see other students. It's like a secret place where you love to go to ...

If you want an authentic experience, avoid the area near to the uni. All you will see are students. Very very borning! And, in addition to it, you will end up hanging around with Italian students which busts your experience in Glasgow.
you're from Northern Italy and you're coming to Glasgow? you mad?

lol, actually Glasgow's a lovely place to live. I just assume Italy's nice - grass is always greener and all that.
And yes, I concur with the above posters - Italian guys will always be accepted :P

Glasgow Uni's in the West End (the posh part :L) so if you get accommodation close to uni, you'll be fine. or in the city centre. But yeah, safety-wise it's really like any other city. Just don't get caught up in any Celtic/Rangers crap.
Reply 11
Easterhouse and some parts of Govan.
Stick to the West End and avoid every other part at all costs.
Father live sin Glasgow in stepps its a good place bit far out though.
Original post by Dave Davidson
Father live sin Glasgow in stepps its a good place bit far out though.

the bnp.. you on smack?
Original post by notnineteenforever77
the bnp.. you on smack?

I am not.
If you're at Glasgow uni most people I know stay in the West End but a lot of people stay at the clyde, which has recently been done up. Also city centre isn't that bad.
I'd say, stay away from the Gorbals -though it has got better than it was-.
woodlands, partick, byers road, kelvinbridge, parts of maryhill are all good.

Avoid areas like gorbals, govan, east end, sighthill, possil, possilpark etc...

You'll be fine, don't worry. I thought most ERASMUS students lived in private accommodation.
Reply 18
Shiiieeeldzzzzzz
Govanhill has been heavily renovated, so has the clyde area as previously mentioned. I'd say west end though as it's reasonably safe and pleasant (although I think it's grubby personally), and it's close to the uni with a large student population.
Reply 19
Original post by PerigeeApogee
Lol, it's not just Easterhouse... pretty much everywhere in the East End is the same apart from maybe Baillieston/Swinton/Mount Vernon/Garrowhill areas which are relatively quite.

But Barlanark, Parkhead, Cranhill, Carntyne, Ruchazie, etc are all as bad as Easterhouse.

I can confirm that this is true, as I live about 10 minutes down the road from there...

Although truth be told it's not like it's the Gaza Strip or anything, some decent people there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending