The Student Room Group

How to react if she says 'I love you'

As a bloke this is a situation i dont know how to react. I am a very honest person and if a girl said this to me i wouldnt want to say it back unless i really meant it 100% and being a cynical person about love i am very reluctant to even consider saying it.

However that doesnt mean that i dont care deeply for that person and wouldnt want to upset or hurt them, or have them think i really want to be with them.

Im quite worried this situation may come up soon and need some advice on how to deal with it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Run.
Just reply with 'I really like you'. I did that to my boyfriend, and then he knew the first time I said it I meant it. She shouldn't be offended, people have different feelings, and if you treat her right it will be obvious you're not messing her around or anything. You'll know when you're ready to say it... :love:
Original post by student54321
As a bloke this is a situation i dont know how to react. I am a very honest person and if a girl said this to me i wouldnt want to say it back unless i really meant it 100% and being a cynical person about love i am very reluctant to even consider saying it.

However that doesnt mean that i dont care deeply for that person and wouldnt want to upset or hurt them, or have them think i really want to be with them.

Im quite worried this situation may come up soon and need some advice on how to deal with it.

I completely understand how you feel. Not that very many people have said it to me but I tend to react badly.
The first time I basically said "thanks" but the second time which was quite recently I said it back and now the more I think about it I'm not sure I meant it.
Moral of the story, don't say it if you don't mean it!
Tell them the truth, preferably.
don't say it back, then if it seems a bit awkward just tell her that you don't want to say it unless you mean it 100%. as long as she's vaguely mature she'll understand.

but don't wait several months to say it. if you feel that differently about your relationship it's probably time to think seriously about whether you should be in it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Say ''I love U2''
Reply 7
"Well, that's understandable."
Reply 8
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
don't say it back, then if it seems a bit awkward just tell her that you don't want to say it unless you mean it 100%. as long as she's vaguely mature she'll understand.

but don't wait several months to say it. if you feel that differently about your relationship it's probably time to think seriously about whether you should be in it

yh man, this is what i have been thinking. See i am 21 the last time i had a girlfriend was when i was 16, whereas she had more or less a boyfriend since she is 15. I think she is the sort of person that needs to be in a relationship, whereas im happy being on my own. Plus she said things which really put me off the idea of a long term relationship, such as saying she wants a kid and i have only known her for bout 3 months :s. She is 22.
Reply 9
Here's how it's done:

'I love you!'

'...I know.......nnNNNNAAAARRGHHH'
yh man, this is what i have been thinking. See i am 21 the last time i had a girlfriend was when i was 16, whereas she had more or less a boyfriend since she is 15. I think she is the sort of person that needs to be in a relationship, whereas im happy being on my own. Plus she said things which really put me off the idea of a long term relationship, such as saying she wants a kid and i have only known her for bout 3 months :s. She is 22.

Time to send her to the Dumpville museum of dumpsters.

saying just generally in the future she wants a kid is nothing to worry about. unless she's saying she wants a kid with you.. then thats just coming on far too strong :/

perhaps you need to sit down with her and chat about relationship stuff. don't break up with her or anything, but having stuff like that hanging over your heard isnt helping either of you
"Cool, thanks."
Original post by mynameisq
Say ''I love U2''

I'm sure that happened in a film..

Edit: It was Scrubs.
(edited 12 years ago)
When someone says I love you to you just be at yourself. Tell him or her the truth about what you feel.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was very evasive when my boyfriend first said it to me. I seemed to notice the weather a lot if he said I love you.

Just talk to her and tell her in time you think you will be able to say it but right now you really like her and want to say it when you really mean it.
Reply 16
What ever you do, do not say "thank you." It won't go down very well.
You've just got to be honest, we appreciate honesty more than any other bullsh*t excuse that you may think we want to hear. If she says it, tell her you like her a lot but you don't want to say anything extreme at the moment because it's not a word to play around with, you want to be able to genuinely mean it when you say it.
I'm also a cynical one in approach to relationships but that approach has worked for me before now.

Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DueYhp8kvZ4
This video is a perfect example of how to respond to "I love You"
Just mutter 'elephant juice' :biggrin:
Reply 19
I usually come out with something inappropriate like:

"That's nice."

or

"Define love."

So don't say those, whatever you do.

Quick Reply

Latest