The Student Room Group

Libya, another Iraq another lie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by teadrinker
You have no idea what the Libyans want when all dissent is crushed, and when there have been no democratic election since Quadaffi took power. You are basing this claim on your own warped mind and prejudices.

Secondly, the Americans did not fund the Taliban against the Russians, they funded the Afghan Mujahideen against the Soviets. A quick consultation with a history book should be in order.

mujahadeen=jihadist, taliban are mujahadeens, in fact all terrorists are you clown.
Reply 341
Original post by Aj12
The rebels (or most Libyans) do not want a partitioned state. Gadaffi has no right to impose his power through the use of bullets and bombs on any one of his people

libyas population is concentrated in the west esp. tripoli, the west esp. tripoli supports gaddafi, so no thr rebels do not have any right to demand that gaddafi leaves, MOST libyans actually support gaddafi
Original post by zohaib93
and how do you know the majority wnat gaddafi out?

does it look like rebels have much support in teh west of libya???

just because NATO or america make claims and accsuations, does nto mean its true.
you are so gullibel its beyond belief, get back to playing with lego or something.

It's quite simple. Democratic elections need to be held to find out what the people want.

As it is Quadaffi who has stopped ANY attempt at political discourse in his country, the fair assumption is that he has something to hide. Ie. he knows he does not have popular support.

Furthermore, the support that Quadaffi's DOES have is partially derived from the results of a 42 year old personality cult.
mujahadeen=jihadist, taliban are mujahadeens, in fact all terrorists are you clown.

The Afghan Taliban evolved out of numerous Mujahideen groups. The Taliban was formed my Mohammed Omar who was in conflict with other Mujahideen groups. It is misleading to say the US funded the Taliban, and it is agreed the Taliban formed in 1992. The Asfghan Soviet War ended in the 80s.

For someone who thought there was an Afghan-Russian conflict in the 1990s, I think the title 'clown' is all yours.

Thanks!
Reply 344
It's quite simple. Democratic elections need to be held to find out what the people want.

As it is Quadaffi who has stopped ANY attempt at political discourse in his country, the fair assumption is that he has something to hide. Ie. he knows he does not have popular support.

Furthermore, the support that Quadaffi's DOES have is partially derived from the results of a 42 year old personality cult.

TODAY AMERICA is considering arming rebels TOMORROW AMERICA WILL OCCUPY LIBYA, history has a habit of repitition, but the repitition of american games in other countries is beyond belief at times. Gaddafi must resist all american attempts to occupy libya be that libtan land or libyan airspace, using any means necessary, today the western forces occupy libyan airspace, tomorrow they will occupy its land and the day after they will install a puppet government like in iraq and afghanistan, a puppet government who will dance to american tunes, just like iraq the west occupied iraq's airspace for 12 years form 1991 to 2003, and then occupied iraq they will do the same in libya, america is a game player but they cannot kid gaddafi becuase he is a bigger game player.

no to american ineterference and occupation
Reply 345
The Afghan Taliban evolved out of numerous Mujahideen groups. The Taliban was formed my Mohammed Omar who was in conflict with other Mujahideen groups. It is misleading to say the US funded the Taliban, and it is agreed the Taliban formed in 1992. The Asfghan Soviet War ended in the 80s.

For someone who thought there was an Afghan-Russian conflict in the 1990s, I think the title 'clown' is all yours.

Thanks!

incase you didn't know 8 and 9 sit ebsides each other on a keyboard, i rest my case on that topic.

ok so america funded JIHADISTS then. HAPPY? its was fine with america as long as these JIHADISTS TARGETED RUSSIA, but hey double standards america didn't like it when they targeted america.

america is reaping what it sowed, it sowed the destuction of russia, now fate has come back to bite america on its backside, and its reaping the rewards of plotting russia's destruction, thsoe who plot to destroy other shall themselves be destroyed
libyas population is concentrated in the west esp. tripoli, the west esp. tripoli supports gaddafi, so no thr rebels do not have any right to demand that gaddafi leaves, MOST libyans actually support gaddafi

The population of Benghazi is 700,000, Misrata is 500,000, Al bayda is 200,000 Tobruk is 75,000, Brega and Ras Lanouf combined add another 20,000. In addition to this there are an array of smaller towns and villages.

The population of cities held by the rebels constitutes more than a quarter of the population. In addition, until recently there were thousands on the streets of Tripoli, as well as other cities. And I tell you, it takes a lot more guts to take to the streets in a police state than it does in this country - the chances are you'll get a damn sight more done to you than a bit of kettling. It is safe to assume therefore that there are significant elements even in the west who are keen to get rid of Quadaffi.

It is hard to argue these are insignificant numbers. Just to put things into context, according to the survey I posted before (conducted in 2009) less than 30% supported unification with Eire. That means the IRA of whom you frequently use for comparison, at the most generous estimate, represent the 'interests' (and far fewer people who support unification support violent tactics) of less than 600,000 out of a UK total population of 60 million.
Reply 347
The population of Benghazi is 700,000, Misrata is 500,000, Al bayda is 200,000 Tobruk is 75,000, Brega and Ras Lanouf combined add another 20,000. In addition to this there are an array of smaller towns and villages.

The population of cities held by the rebels constitutes more than a quarter of the population. In addition, until recently there were thousands on the streets of Tripoli, as well as other cities. And I tell you, it takes a lot more guts to take to the streets in a police state than it does in this country - the chances are you'll get a damn sight more done to you than a bit of kettling. It is safe to assume therefore that there are significant elements even in the west who are keen to get rid of Quadaffi.

It is hard to argue these are insignificant numbers. Just to put things into context, according to the survey I posted before (conducted in 2009) less than 30% supported unification with Eire. That means the IRA of whom you frequently use for comparison, at the most generous estimate, represent the 'interests' (and far fewer people who support unification support violent tactics) of less than 600,000 out of a UK total population of 60 million.

you are just assuming there are people in west libya who want gaddafi out but are fearful to say so, i can same that there are people in east libya who want gaddafi to stay but are fearful to say so????

so your point on that front is pretty much futile
incase you didn't know 8 and 9 sit ebsides each other on a keyboard, i rest my case on that topic.

ok so america funded JIHADISTS then. HAPPY? its was fine with america as long as these JIHADISTS TARGETED RUSSIA, but hey double standards america didn't like it when they targeted america.

You rest your case?! A real little lawyer we have in the making hey! Which case exactly are you resting, may I ask? That you are a competition winning knobend?

That you can't grasp the difference between Russia and the Soviet Union, nor that the Taliban did not come into existence until after the US stopped funding the Mujahideen leads me to believe your little decade 'typo' was something more along the lines of you not knowing the **** what you're talking about. But hey. You go right ahead and rest your case.

america is reaping what it sowed, it sowed the destuction of russia, now fate has come back to bite america on its backside, and its reaping the rewards of plotting russia's destruction, thsoe who plot to destroy other shall themselves be destroyed

Like I said earlier, your faliure to appreciate the difference between Russia and the USSR is suggestive of deeper ignorance. The US funding of the Mujahideen was part of the Cold War during which the US aimed to economically exhaust the USSR. This tactic obviously had its pitfalls and dangers, but essentially it succeeded, as 1989 showed. (that's nineteen EIGHTY-nine by the way - I hope you're keeping up).

You allege that the US funding of the Mujahideen was some sort of grand conspiracy: that they wanted to reap chaos to create a pretext for their own 'occupation'. Apart from its obvious absurdity (to the sane, anyway), you seem to forget that nearly 15 years elapsed between the Soviet withdrawal and the US led invasion. Besides, you also allege that Bush exploded the twin towers. So why would they need a 15 year old pretext to 'occupy' when they could just destroy downtown Manhattan?
Reply 349
You rest your case?! A real little lawyer we have in the making hey! Which case exactly are you resting, may I ask? That you are a competition winning knobend?

That you can't grasp the difference between Russia and the Soviet Union, nor that the Taliban did not come into existence until after the US stopped funding the Mujahideen leads me to believe your little decade 'typo' was something more along the lines of you not knowing the **** what you're talking about. But hey. You go right ahead and rest your case.

Like I said earlier, your faliure to appreciate the difference between Russia and the USSR is suggestive of deeper ignorance. The US funding of the Mujahideen was part of the Cold War during which the US aimed to economically exhaust the USSR. This tactic obviously had its pitfalls and dangers, but essentially it succeeded, as 1989 showed. (that's nineteen EIGHTY-nine by the way - I hope you're keeping up).

You allege that the US funding of the Mujahideen was some sort of grand conspiracy: that they wanted to reap chaos to create a pretext for their own 'occupation'. Apart from its obvious absurdity (to the sane, anyway), you seem to forget that nearly 15 years elapsed between the Soviet withdrawal and the US led invasion. Besides, you also allege that Bush exploded the twin towers. So why would they need a 15 year old pretext to 'occupy' when they could just destroy downtown Manhattan?

well look at how the towers fall, kiddo, CONTROLLED EXPLOSION, well unless the terrorist used parachutes and managed to escape and plalnt explosives in the towers i don't see how you can get a controlled explosion by crashing a plane into a building.

the jihadist terrorism is of american doing,fund the JIHADIST AND BRING DOWN THE USSR(HAPPY NOW I SAID USSR:biggrin:) now it is paying the price.

now america are on another crusade, arm the rebels bring down gaddafi, the same will happen again, gaddafi wil go, but america will probably end up paying another price.
you are just assuming there are people in west libya who want gaddafi out but are fearful to say so, i can same that there are people in east libya who want gaddafi to stay but are fearful to say so????

so your point on that front is pretty much futile

Arguing with the mentally ill (that's a category you fall into, by the way)is often regarded as a futile exercise. I find it holds a certain amusement factor though.

You CAN certainly claim that people in the East want him to stay but are to afraid to say so. The problem with your argument is we are dealing with a despot who does not allow public expression. If he allowed a democratic discourse in Libya then we would have a much clearer impression of who wants what, and could have a much more productive argument (well - with you, possibly not). The fact that he is so keen to hide what the public wants must lead us to conclude, LIKE I SAID BEFORE, that he has something to hide: namely, that he has far less support than idiot delusionals like you (or he) think.

Freedom of expression is one of the benefits of a liberal democratic system. But as you told me before, you don't believe that democracy is the best way for Libya. You support the arbitrary rule of a geriatric psychopath.
Reply 351
Arguing with the mentally ill (that's a category you fall into, by the way)is often regarded as a futile exercise. I find it holds a certain amusement factor though.

You CAN certainly claim that people in the East want him to stay but are to afraid to say so. The problem with your argument is we are dealing with a despot who does not allow public expression. If he allowed a democratic discourse in Libya then we would have a much clearer impression of who wants what, and could have a much more productive argument (well - with you, possibly not). The fact that he is so keen to hide what the public wants must lead us to conclude, LIKE I SAID BEFORE, that he has something to hide: namely, that he has far less support than idiot delusionals like you (or he) think.

Freedom of expression is one of the benefits of a liberal democratic system. But as you told me before, you don't believe that democracy is the best way for Libya. You support the arbitrary rule of a geriatric psychopath.

america is against dictator gaddafi, yet for 30 years it supported dictator mubarak

it sheltered dictator shah till his death

it supports the dictators of bahrain, saudi, kuwait, qatar

yet america condemns the democratic government of iran

i rest my case :wink:
well look at how the towers fall, kiddo, CONTROLLED EXPLOSION, well unless the terrorist used parachutes and managed to escape and plalnt explosives in the towers i don't see how you can get a controlled explosion by crashing a plane into a building.

the jihadist terrorism is of american doing,fund the JIHADIST AND BRING DOWN THE USSR(HAPPY NOW I SAID USSR:biggrin:) now it is paying the price.

now america are on another crusade, arm the rebels bring down gaddafi, the same will happen again, gaddafi wil go, but america will probably end up paying another price.

I can just about tolerate a debate on Libya with you. But I am not getting into the realm of conspiracy theories on the towers. You wouldn;t budge an inch no matter what evidence was put forth. SO what;s the point.

You believe what you want to believe. But seriously, if I were you (god forbid) and I seriously believed what you say you believe - that America is the great Satan and it's leader would willfully kill thousands of it's own people to serve as a pretext for occupying a remote and mountainous tribal country noted for its hostility to occupying forces - just so he could embark on a crusade against Muslims - I really think my life would be a living nightmare, or fear and revulsion. I certainly wouldn't hang around student forums posting about accountancy courses.

For that reason, I actually don't think people like you, as moronic as you are, genuinely truely actually believes the conspiracy ****e you spout - that, or you don't quite understand the magnitude of your accusations.
Reply 353
america is against dictator gaddafi, yet for 30 years it supported dictator mubarak

Lulz democratic Iran.

You realize the president of Iran is a mere puppet? I mean come on president candidates are vetted by the "guardian council".

Vote for your puppet is not democracy

As well as that the government tortures and rapes its civilian population

There are neo-cons whose political philosophy is to support the spread of democracy wherever they can, regardless of the consequences. It is a noble attitude in many ways.

However, if the US administration worked to this principle it would ground to a halt economically, in addition they would no doubt be accused of interference in the affairs of other sovereign states. Sadly, the West has its balls grasped by the grubby claws of a collection of cheap and nasty little dictators. These dictators did not achieve their positions of power through feats of entrepreneurship, invention or initiative. Rather they were just blessed by sub-terranean good luck. They live above naturally occuring reserves of oil. And it is oil that makes the world go around.

In Eastern Europe the West did a much better job of developing its contacts in democratic dissident circles, and more importantly the Poles, Czechs Hungarians and so on showed such spirit and determination and initiative to develop democratic alternatives to authoritarian rule that by 1989 they had thrown off their authoritarian rulers and embraced democratic change.

The Arabs, by contrast, have less history of democratic practices that the E. Europeans., And it is my belief that they are (sadly) culturally averse to democracy - with Islamism being a particular retardant on its development.

The Americans are stuck between a rock and hard place. They need the oil, yet the dictators they have to deal with contradict their political principles. I am not an idealist, and I understand why they have taken the course they have, but I hope this Arab Spring goes some way to persuading the US that they have to put their faith in democratic change in the Arab world.

I am not here to argue that the US has a whiter than white history, far from it. But the fact that the US has made mistakes before in its dealings with other countries, does not invalidate its actions when it DOES pursue the right course. AS it is doing in Libya.
(edited 13 years ago)

If your case rests on the idea of Iran being democratic, let it rest indeed.
Reply 356
There are neo-cons whose political philosophy is to support the spread of democracy wherever they can, regardless of the consequences. It is a noble attitude in many ways.

However, if the US administration worked to this principle it would ground to a halt economically, in addition they would no doubt be accused of interference in the affairs of other sovereign states. Sadly, the West has its balls grasped by the grubby claws of a collection of cheap and nasty little dictators. These dictators did not achieve their positions of power through feats of entrepreneurship, invention or initiative. Rather they were just blessed by sub-terranean good luck. They live above naturally occuring reserves of oil. And it is oil that makes the world go around.

In Eastern Europe the West did a much better job of developing its contacts in democratic dissident circles, and more importantly the Poles, Czechs Hungarians and so on showed such spirit and determination and initiative to develop democratic alternatives to authoritarian rule that by 1989 they had thrown off their authoritarian rulers and embraced democratic change.

The Arabs, by contrast, have less history of democratic practices that the E. Europeans., And it is my belief that they are (sadly) culturally averse to democracy - with Islamism being a particular retardant on its development.

The Americans are stuck between a rock and hard place. They need the oil, yet the dictators they have to deal with contradict their political principles. I am not an idealist, and I understand why they have taken the course they have, but I hope this Arab Spring goes some way to persuading the US that they have to put their faith in democratic change in the Arab world.

I am not here to argue that the US has a whiter than white history, far from it. But the fact that the US has made mistakes before in its dealings with other countries, does not invalidate its actions when it DOES pursue the right course. AS it is doing in Libya.

it does invalidate it when its reminiscent of both the iraq and the arming of jihadists, both massive mistakes, what to say that whilst todays its a no fly zone over libya, it won't be occupation tomorrow? just like it happend in iraq? no fly zone form 91-03, then occupation.

who is to say arming the rebels today won't lead to open terrorism tommorow? just like it did with the 'mujahadeen' as you like to call them???? which willl tehn be followed by teh occupation of libya on the grounds of terrorim just like afghanistan

this war on libya is a mixture of both afgahnsitan and iraq.

my point is america is playing a sly and sneaky game, its seen what has happened when similar actions have been taken in the past and its a hurry to repeat those actions hoping the same outcoem will occur so it can occupy yet another country
Reply 357

you state that america has no choice but to play the two faced bitch with dictators because america needs oil, i would actually acceot that as a reason if it actually wa strue, but it isn't though is it?

then tell me when iran ousted the shah, WHY did america FEEL COMPELLED to shelter the dictator.

your answer to this will be interesting.:wink:
Guerilla warfare undertaken by the people on a large scale is beautiful, 20 quid says Gaddafi steps down.
Reply 359

if america cant accept the results of an election its not irans problem, iran could equally question the result of the american election, iran can't prove anything neither can america, jus becuase america SAYS the votes were rigged does not mean its true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending