The Student Room Group

Books for sale! (Leicester Uni students especially)

Hi,

I'm a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Leicester and will (hopefully) be graduating this July. As you can imagine I have an excess number of books that are no use to me anymore, and I was looking to sell them - particularly the anthologies.

I have looked into going through 'buyback' services like 'Fatbrain' and 'Abebooks' but they don't seem to be very student friendly and so I wondered if anyone was looking to buy a collection, or just one, or several books from any of the 3 years.

I studied BA English, taking on everything from Old English to Post-War stuff and so have quite a wide range, and am prepared to be extremely reasonable in regards to price, as I know how financially depressing student life can be!! With special discounted rates if people wish to buy in bulk.

Thanks guys! :smile:
You may want to post a list of what you have for people. :smile:
Reply 2
Henry James - Turn of the Screw
Samuel Richardson - Pamela
Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre
George Eliot - Adam Bede
Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway
Jean Rhys - Wide Sargasso Sea
Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient
Dennis Freeborn - From Old English to Standard English, 3rd edn.
The Arden Shakespeare (2001)
The Norton Anthology of English Renaissance Drama (2002)
William Shakespeare - Hamlet
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
The Riverside Chaucer, 3rd edn.
Medieval Writers and their Work: Middle English Literature and its Background
Susan Bruce - Three Early Modern Utopias
Castiglione - The Book of the Courtier
Machiavelli - The Prince
Old and Middle English: c. 800-1400, An Anthology, 3rd edn.
Reply 3
Roughly a third of the collection, the list was too extensive and I have quite a few of the Dickensian, Shakespearian and Gothic classics to.

Please ask as I'll possibly have your books!
hey how much would you sell them for?
im studying english literature in september at swansea uni :smile:
Try Amazon marketplace. I doubt you're goingt to really get much per book, probably could get about 50p if you're lucky :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by miss_sporty
hey how much would you sell them for?
im studying english literature in september at swansea uni :smile:

hey!

Well firstly how many would you like? I'm completely open to negotiation, because you may well not need the language books if you're studying literature.

Do you know of your reading list yet? :smile: x
Original post by spence312
hey!

Well firstly how many would you like? I'm completely open to negotiation, because you may well not need the language books if you're studying literature.

Do you know of your reading list yet? :smile: x

i dont know what my reading list is yet, and im not sure when i will find out however i am interested in just the literature books, i will try and find out what my reading list will be :smile:
Reply 8
i dont know what my reading list is yet, and im not sure when i will find out however i am interested in just the literature books, i will try and find out what my reading list will be :smile:

So mainly the classics? That's no problem, plus I reckon that the anthology for Renaissance will be fairly useful anyway, because you're bound to cover that period as it's such a pinnacle artistic movement.

I also have the GIANT Collins dictionary, and a theasarus which you'll need for English, so if you want I can add those for cheap?

http://www.swan.ac.uk/english/undergraduate/level1/ - Just doing some research and you appear to cover the same Chaucer, Blake, Gothic, Shakespeare course that I did so I think you could well find everything quite interesting! Which is helpful for us both.

:smile:
Reply 9
thesaurus* - sorry, rushing!
So mainly the classics? That's no problem, plus I reckon that the anthology for Renaissance will be fairly useful anyway, because you're bound to cover that period as it's such a pinnacle artistic movement.

I also have the GIANT Collins dictionary, and a theasarus which you'll need for English, so if you want I can add those for cheap?

http://www.swan.ac.uk/english/undergraduate/level1/ - Just doing some research and you appear to cover the same Chaucer, Blake, Gothic, Shakespeare course that I did so I think you could well find everything quite interesting! Which is helpful for us both.

i was just looking at that website :smile: i will speak to the parents and let you know :smile:
so your not waiting i will let you know by tomorow over whether i will or not. I hope thats ok :smile: x
Reply 11
i was just looking at that website :smile: i will speak to the parents and let you know :smile:
so your not waiting i will let you know by tomorow over whether i will or not. I hope thats ok :smile: x

Do you have facebook?

Realistically I'm in no almighty rush, so if you're interested I won't advance with any other students. I was just clocking up the amount of literary books I have in total from all 3 years and it's probably in the region of about 60/70, with then 10 Anthologies/Dictionaries on top. If you want the whole collection, we can sort that out it'll never be detrimental to you and you can simply sell them on if you don't find a need for them.
I wouldn't want you to feel pressurised you can have as many, or as few as you wish! Honestly.
Oh, and just so you know I found out through my degree that when specific issues are required it's normally for just the analytical inserts, which can be found almost everywhere, so I wouldn't worry too greatly about that!
Do you have facebook?

Realistically I'm in no almighty rush, so if you're interested I won't advance with any other students. I was just clocking up the amount of literary books I have in total from all 3 years and it's probably in the region of about 60/70, with then 10 Anthologies/Dictionaries on top. If you want the whole collection, we can sort that out it'll never be detrimental to you and you can simply sell them on if you don't find a need for them.
I wouldn't want you to feel pressurised you can have as many, or as few as you wish! Honestly.
Oh, and just so you know I found out through my degree that when specific issues are required it's normally for just the analytical inserts, which can be found almost everywhere, so I wouldn't worry too greatly about that!

i dont have facebpok lol im one of few that isnt on it. I will let you know as soon as possible. I will talk through it with the parents and we will see. The only thing is that i live in Cardiff :P so that may be a problem with logistics and stuff :P i will PM you :smile:
Reply 13
i dont have facebpok lol im one of few that isnt on it. I will let you know as soon as possible. I will talk through it with the parents and we will see. The only thing is that i live in Cardiff :P so that may be a problem with logistics and stuff :P i will PM you :smile:

Haha! That won't last long once you're at uni, facebook becomes ones life! Well I can drive, and although it would have to be June (after all my finals) I'm sure we could devise a plan to meet somewhere. Take your time, think it over and the PM me say, before thursday?

Haha! That won't last long once you're at uni, facebook becomes ones life! Well I can drive, and although it would have to be June (after all my finals) I'm sure we could devise a plan to meet somewhere. Take your time, think it over and the PM me say, before thursday?

thats fine will do :smile:
Reply 15
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Leicester and will (hopefully) be graduating this July. As you can imagine I have an excess number of books that are no use to me anymore, and I was looking to sell them - particularly the anthologies.

I have looked into going through 'buyback' services like 'Fatbrain' and 'Abebooks' but they don't seem to be very student friendly and so I wondered if anyone was looking to buy a collection, or just one, or several books from any of the 3 years.

I studied BA English, taking on everything from Old English to Post-War stuff and so have quite a wide range, and am prepared to be extremely reasonable in regards to price, as I know how financially depressing student life can be!! With special discounted rates if people wish to buy in bulk.

Thanks guys! :smile:

Hiya! Haha I'm also interested. I'll be studying History and English at Leicester Uni next year, so not too sure of what books I'm gonna need... :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending