The Student Room Group

Two arrested in Paris for Burqa protests, as well as dozens of others

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375654/France-burka-ban-Two-arrested-Paris-protest.html

Meh, I think it's good that a country like France isn't scared to enforce civil laws like that for what it thinks is right or moral for people in its' society but at the same time seeing the punishments just for being caught with a burqa... fine of up to 150+ euros and anyone forcing someone to wear it could face a year in prison

seems harsh, debatable issue though, at the same time people should be allowed to wear what they want in public in terms of religious symbols, clothing etc imo

Scroll to see replies

Shouldn't be allowed at the expense of security and peace of mind. It's terrifying walking down a street with a load of faceless creatures.
Reply 2
Coming from the country who banned minarets, I have to say that I think it's good that France banned the burqa it is a suppression of the women. If they can't accept local rules, they're free to go back from where they came from. I just saw a picture of a woman, who's protesting against the burqa ban, getting into her car and in my opinion wearing a burqa and driving a car shouldn't be allowed. Her sight is really big enough.
Reply 3
I don't understand their ban, maybe if there was a statistic proving people wearing bhurkas commit crime at a excessively high rate, otherwise it is simply stupid.

How about we ban hats, beards and pockets since they may hide weapons.

Irrational fear shouldn't be a reason for law making.

Original post by mandds
Coming from the country who banned minarets, I have to say that I think it's good that France banned the burqa it is a suppression of the women. If they can't accept local rules, they're free to go back from where they came from. I just saw a picture of a woman, who's protesting against the burqa ban, getting into her car and in my opinion wearing a burqa and driving a car shouldn't be allowed. Her sight is really big enough.

That's simply ridiculous, how do you know that wearing a burqa increases traffic accidents, where's your evidence?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
That's simply ridiculous, how do you know that wearing a burqa increases traffic accidents, where's your evidence?

I didn't say that in increases traffic accidents. But most traffic accidents are caused because people didn't see something or didn't look well enough. Now try it yourself get a blanket and throw it over you head like a burqa and you'll see that your sight quite smaller than without the burqa.
Reply 5
Original post by mandds
I didn't say that in increases traffic accidents. But most traffic accidents are caused because people didn't see something or didn't look well enough. Now try it yourself get a blanket and throw it over you head like a burqa and you'll see that your sight quite smaller than without the burqa.

Nonetheless it is still baseless, you cannot form a law simply because you think it will increase traffic accidents in the same way that having music on can increase traffic accidents so lets ban music in the car, and lets ban people wearing sunglasses, and wearing lenses instead of sunglasses.

Do you see where I'm getting at?

opinion and fact are two different things, hence the two shouldn't be confused. And the bhurka leaves space open for the women to see through therefore I cannot see how it obstructs their vision.
Reply 6
What France has done is that

1. It will create non-violent martyrs that purposely wear the burqa to piss the police off.

2. It has shot itself in the foot through means of imposing secularism, something that the whole notion of secularism was designed to counter.

And the best part is, Sarkozy wont fair any better in the elections.
Original post by mandds

their eyes are not covered ofcourse they can still see...what a stupid reason...i dont think it shouldve been banned its part of religion as they believe so its stupid that they put a fine on it and have not allowed it....i dont think other religions would be happy if countries started to ban something they consider to be part of their religion....plus its unfair to think it surpresses women as some do it as their own choice...i think people judge to much and if they want to wear the burqa then let them theres no reason to ban it...

Original post by Stratos
I don't understand their ban, maybe if there was a statistic proving people wearing bhurkas commit crime at a excessively high rate, otherwise it is simply stupid.

Irrational fear shouldn't be a reason for law making.

i agree i think its stupid...
Reply 8
Original post by Stratos

Well its not just Islamic symbolism that has taken a battering... France does not really believe in any public religious symbolism. I believe the consensus is that you are French first and Muslim/Catholic/Hindu/Sikh/etc second.
Reply 9
Original post by cool_beans1993
their eyes are not covered ofcourse they can still see...what a stupid reason...i dont think it shouldve been banned its part of religion as they believe so its stupid that they put a fine on it and have not allowed it....i dont think other religions would be happy if countries started to ban something they consider to be part of their religion....plus its unfair to think it surpresses women as some do it as their own choice...i think people judge to much and if they want to wear the burqa then let them theres no reason to ban it...

i agree i think its stupid...

Just because women choose to cover their faces, it doesn't mean it's not oppressive. The women who 'choose' do so with enormous cultural pressure on their shoulders. I think any reasonable person can see that the burkha is sexist.
Original post by hatemylife
Shouldn't be allowed at the expense of security and peace of mind. It's terrifying walking down a street with a load of faceless creatures.

You must be scared ****less on halloween.
Reply 11
The protest won't go nowhere. What do the French people think about this? Do they oppose this new rule?

EDIT:

Rachid Nekkaz, a property dealer, has urged women in France to engage in 'civil disobedience' by continuing to wear the veil if they so wish, and called on supporters to hold a silent prayer in protest of the ban in front of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris today.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375654/France-burka-ban-Two-arrested-Paris-protest.html#ixzz1JDmRgr91

WOAH...I don't know but this seems...quite rude. Are they allowed to do this? I mean...
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm not condoning the ban but I think in theory, it's only fair. People aren't allowed to run around with balaclavas on simply because if they committed a crime it would be almost impossible to catch them, endangering innocent civilians. Yet when religion is brought into it, people shy away from saying anything in case the racist card is pulled on them. The fact is that burqas arent a compulsory part of the religion, and women can gladly wear them in non-public places or in other countries, but I admire the French for attempting to protect their people despite all the stick they knew they would get for it, thats true leadership.
Reply 13
It was initiated due to idealogical reasoning, one that fundamentally goes against everything that France stands for. It's sad to see the morals of a country go down a drain due to some irrational fear.

You cannot tell me what to wear in public, the burqah is already banned in places in which the security of the general public is at stake, banning it everywhere is ludicrous and I hope the protests goes on and even more women (and men), whether Muslim or not wear it to oppose the dangerous right-wing path in which Europe is being taken towards again.
Reply 14
Original post by Stratos
Nonetheless it is still baseless, you cannot form a law simply because you think it will increase traffic accidents in the same way that having music on can increase traffic accidents so lets ban music in the car, and lets ban people wearing sunglasses, and wearing lenses instead of sunglasses.

Do you see where I'm getting at?

opinion and fact are two different things, hence the two shouldn't be confused. And the bhurka leaves space open for the women to see through therefore I cannot see how it obstructs their vision.

Of course you can form a law. I don't know if you drive, but wearing sunglasses when the sun is shining actually improves security, though it is banned to wear sunglasses when you're entering a tunnel. So yeah you can ban wearing a burqa, while you're driving.
Again when you're talking about the space they can see through, yes that's correct, but the human has a viewing angle which is almost 180 degrees with a burqa this angle is much smaller, and therefor you'll also see less.

Well, in most islamic country christians are being killed, they aren't allowed to perform their religion, they'r not allowed to build churches...yea let's talk about the freedom in religion.

I don't think most muslim woman wear a burqa because they want to but because their husbands and because the sharia law says so...
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
You must be scared ****less on halloween.

Most of them are children wanting sweets, not followers of a militant religion.
Reply 16
they cant get away with it now!!!!!!!!!!!!
France are have fond thier backbone at last
Reply 18
I agree with the burqa ban. I wouldn't have agreed if it was a hijab (head covering only) ban. i don't understand why people are against it? A face should be visible and identifiable...
Original post by hatemylife
Most of them are children wanting sweets, not followers of a militant religion.

Nah, most of them are 17 year old yobs. But anyway, what are you expecting? Women to suddenly whip off their burkhas and pull out AK47s?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending