The Student Room Group

AS History

My exam is in 36 days and I have absolutely no idea how to revise for it!
I'm doing British History with AQA I think it's unit 1L or something but does anyone have any tips on how to revise?
:smile:
I'm in the same boat.
how on earth do you revise for a sources paper? (i do early modern - henry viii)
Reply 2
I am doing Edexcel C1, C2, and Britain and India for the source paper.What I am doing to revise is to do possible essay plans that are likely to come up. Even if they aren't quite the same it seems a very versatile method. It also allows you to decide what information is important and what isn't...Which is good for me as my book is full of unneeded info!
Reply 3
Original post by postcardsfromitaly
I'm doing British History with AQA I think it's unit 1L or something but does anyone have any tips on how to revise?

I would go through everything in this document:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2040-W-TRB-U01SW-HIS1L.PDF

and make sure I understood it all. Then I'd probably be sorted. :smile:
Reply 4
I'm doing 1L as well. I actually think its impossible to learn everything on it. Will just have to hope the questions are nice on the day :/
Reply 5

Im doing Edexcel D5 and D6 and british in India. I find making a time line very usefull. And also read through your text books (yes its tedious i read like 38 pages of vietnam war today..it was a torture :facepalm: ) and make bullet pointed notes on key dates in chronological order. Im finding this subject harder than chemistry..:eek:
Original post by louiseyoung
I'm in the same boat.
how on earth do you revise for a sources paper? (i do early modern - henry viii)

I did the sources paper on the Tudors last year if you have any questions.
I'm doing it too! If your doing experience of warfare in Britian, a good programe to watch is "The Somme" its a docu-drama on 4oD, really accurate, entertaining and better than endless notes :smile: Sorry if its the wrong unit though, i'm not entirely sure of the serial numbers etc. of it, i am an idiot :P

Hi! Survivor of AQA AS History here! What I can tell you is make sure you don't ramble on, read the question at least twice and make sure you know the mark scheme. Oh and keep to the time allowed. And know your dates and minor details. And read up on past questions because they tend to use the same ones or they might give you a totally different one so look out for any topics they haven't done.

First question (12 marker) - don't give any argument or judgement, just answer the question - WHY did they do it, not too much HOW and now ON THE OTHER HAND. And try to keep to less than a page, you dont need any more if you have a good answer.

Second question (24 marker) - Intro should include a judgement and the rest of essay should contain arguments, one FOR and one AGAINST for each point. Conclusion - don't bring up any new information and basically summarise your points and say it proves your judgement at the beginning. Try to keep this to less than three pages.

If you want any more help, just quote me and if you want to know how torturous A2 History is, I'm your gal!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ellie-wellie
I did the sources paper on the Tudors last year if you have any questions.

Yes please! I'm really nervous about it! It's not that i don't like doing sources, it's just that i get a bit confused sometimes :blush: what grade did you get? (if you don't mind me asking). Any tips?
Original post by louiseyoung
Yes please! I'm really nervous about it! It's not that i don't like doing sources, it's just that i get a bit confused sometimes :blush: what grade did you get? (if you don't mind me asking). Any tips?

I got an A (94/100- yes, I was v. v. shocked).

What they didn't tell me at school was that you group the sources together, through themes or something, and DO NOT use a formulaic approach. Examiners hate that. Try not to say things like 'the author is reliable because he was living in that time/went to Oxbridge/has red hair'. Say things that actually make sense and have a value or purpose- don't say things just to say things

Sorry if you knew all this already, my school wasn't good at telling us things.

I can't remember much else to be honest, I've sort of blanked it out of my mind! I'll think about it tonight/tomorrow and let you know if I can think of anything else :smile:
Good luck, everyone in my class got better than they thought.
Original post by ellie-wellie
I got an A (94/100- yes, I was v. v. shocked).

What they didn't tell me at school was that you group the sources together, through themes or something, and DO NOT use a formulaic approach. Examiners hate that. Try not to say things like 'the author is reliable because he was living in that time/went to Oxbridge/has red hair'. Say things that actually make sense and have a value or purpose- don't say things just to say things

Sorry if you knew all this already, my school wasn't good at telling us things.

I can't remember much else to be honest, I've sort of blanked it out of my mind! I'll think about it tonight/tomorrow and let you know if I can think of anything else :smile:
Good luck, everyone in my class got better than they thought.

Thankyou for the tips! (repped you). I need to get 85/100 on this exam cos i got 75/100 on Luther and the witchcraze (B). Be really grateful for anymore tips :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending