The Student Room Group

Med A-level choices problems - Imperial Med!

Poll

For Med, I can have: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and...?

Biology & Chemistry are a must, okay, we got that one.

But would I not stand a chance with a third A-level in Psychology and a fourth AS in Sociology? Law? RS?

Also, I can't do maths or physics at all. :smile:

UCL and Barts and the London have replied saying that that's fine, Southampton haven't replied, but then again, they haven't even specified if they want a fourth AS, so yeah, I'd assume they agree.
It's Imperial that's the problem...they haven't replied and I'm being told I wouldn't make it to interview with the above combination :s-smilie:
(I've wanted to go here since I was thirteen, so it is a big deal to me, and no I'm not going to think of not applying there!)

Advice on that?

Also, given that my school does not cooperate with me, would AS Sociology (or any other one) with ICS learning (distance learning) be okay, or would it not really count on my UCAS...? :s-smilie:

Really confused. Help. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

---
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I don't see why not, tbh. Psych/Socio/RS are perfectly good a levels. Having biology and chem is a must the third is superfluous, infact grades in a medical application are pretty superfluous once you're predict what the uni's want. So don't get too wound up about subjects.
I know a friend who does medicine at Imperial and he did Bio, Chem and Psychology. So you shouldn't worry! :]
Reply 4
Original post by chippednails
I know a friend who does medicine at Imperial and he did Bio, Chem and Psychology. So you shouldn't worry! :]

what was their fourth AS?
Original post by Hennnaa

Original post by Hennnaa
what was their fourth AS?

Maths, I think. Why not have History as your fourth?
Reply 6
Maths, I think. Why not have History as your fourth?

that's what I was originally doing (maths as my fourth AS) until I realised that there was no way I was going to pass my exams, I dropped it last month and am now wondering what else I can do in place of it. History, meh, I haven't touched it since the age of 14 (year 9) didn't really like it then, so I don't think I'm going to like it now, I was thinking maybe geography.... :s-smilie:
do RS, its not confusing.
Original post by Hennnaa

Original post by Hennnaa
that's what I was originally doing (maths as my fourth AS) until I realised that there was no way I was going to pass my exams, I dropped it last month and am now wondering what else I can do in place of it. History, meh, I haven't touched it since the age of 14 (year 9) didn't really like it then, so I don't think I'm going to like it now, I was thinking maybe geography.... :s-smilie:

Tbh, most unis offering medicine don't mind what your fourth AS is. As long as you've achieved a minimum of a B in it, then that's okay. Pick an A level that contrasts with the sciences because it'll show you're an all rounder and can adapt to different subjects. Perhaps go for sociology, they do some sort of Sociology module for medicine at Imperial I here :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Tbh, most unis offering medicine don't mind what your fourth AS is. As long as you've achieved a minimum of a B in it, then that's okay. Pick an A level that contrasts with the sciences because it'll show you're an all rounder and can adapt to different subjects. Perhaps go for sociology, they do some sort of Sociology module for medicine at Imperial I here :s-smilie:

Hmmm, I think I might do that, I just don't want to lower my chances of getting in if I only do 2 sciences and 2 social sciences.

What about distance learning?
Reply 10
Original post by many.stars..
do RS, its not confusing.

well, it is confusing if I don't know which subject to go for. RS would be a back up but Sociology is the one I'm looking at doing, Law is just way out there as a reserve, just in case I find that I hate sociology or something :smile:
ABlah
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hennnaa

Original post by Hennnaa
Hmmm, I think I might do that, I just don't want to lower my chances of getting in if I only do 2 sciences and 2 social sciences.

What about distance learning?

I think it should be okay doing 2 sciences and 2 social sciences. Anywho, I thought psychology was classed a science now, anyway?
Eh distance learning?
Reply 13
I'd do RS and Law, sounds like a really interesting combination!

out of the two it's a toss up but I went for RS.
Wouldn't do sociology - too close to psychology
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I think it should be okay doing 2 sciences and 2 social sciences. Anywho, I thought psychology was classed a science now, anyway?
Eh distance learning?

Just no.
Original post by lekky

Original post by lekky
Just no.

Even though it's a BSc degree?
Reply 16
Eh distance learning?

Nope, it's still a social science. Have a look at the first post, if my school doesn't let me do the fourth AS at the school, would I be able to do the course (sociology etc.) by distance learning - would that count? :smile:
Reply 17
Even though it's a BSc degree?

Yeah but tbh, a lot of degrees are BSc's and are far from being real sciences. Psych is as close as you can get :smile: still a social science though... :s-smilie:
Original post by Hennnaa

Original post by Hennnaa
Nope, it's still a social science. Have a look at the first post, if my school doesn't let me do the fourth AS at the school, would I be able to do the course (sociology etc.) by distance learning - would that count? :smile:

I feel terrible for getting involved in this discussion because I'm not a prospective med student. I've applied for Economics with A level Chemistry, Economics, Philosophy + AS Maths.
I hear Sociology is an easy subject, you can get a good grade in it then drop it.
Reply 19
Original post by Hennnaa

So are you planning on doing the AS over the summer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending