The Student Room Group

For those who believe Psychology is a "soft subject"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cor_fortis

Original post by cor_fortis
I cant remember sorry, its an older paper perhaps 08 or 09.. i did this paper as a mock and i remember because this was the only mark i dropped.

It was probably more to do with relating your answer to the question than actually a solitary mark for giving a name.
If you don't study it, why on earth would it bother you whether it was soft or not? I've never taken the subject and couldn't give a monkeys about its difficulty.
Original post by ilyking
how applicable is psychology? how useful is it in real life?

I'm only doing A2 Psychology now but i'll give a few examples from my textbook :colondollar:

Biological rhythms and sleep: Research on circadian and other bodily rhythms has important implications for medical testing and treatment. E.g. testing levels of cortisol at certain times of the day, prescribing medicines in coordination with bodily rhythms. Providing advice to shift-workers ect.

Memory: Eye-witness testimony; how reliable is it? Development of cognitive interviews to aid recall of information. School time-tables; considering the best time to teach certain subjects and take examinations, taking into account long-term and short-term memory recall.

Psychopathology: Cognitive therapies for depression, phobic disorders, OCD.

I find Psychology very interesting. It's fascinating to debate the cause of certain mental illnesses such as Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia. Is it due to genetics and neurochemistry? Or is it something psychological or socio-cultural? Or do we have a genetic predisposition to develop these mental illnesses?

I think Psychology attracts a whole variety of students. I study it alongside Biology and Chemistry (+ Maths at AS) and I can honestly say that I don't find it any easier.
(edited 13 years ago)
I did psychology AS (3 years ago now) and I found it disappointing.

Psychology as a field/subject in the academic sense is very broad, very interesting, and indeed scientific.

But at AS level (I wouldn't know about A2) I couldn't help but get the impression it had been turned into a bit of a half-essay subject where the emphasis was on memorising names and dates, learning study methodology and simple statistics, and only covering the basics (although these were still interesting) on actual psychological theory.

The pace was slow, and in essays it was a matter of regurgitating pre-learned arguments about study reliability - the subject did not require much ability to grasp concepts or really I don't know show off any kind of particular intelligence so in that sense was not truly I don't know.. challenging? (Like say, maths or physics, or a subject like English where even at GSCE you can exercise a kind of intelligence for analysis, literature etc).

I mean many A-levels can be a bit like that, but I thought psychology was a lot like that. That's not to say it was easy because there was (well what seemed at the time) a lot to memorise and a lot as well to write in the exams.

May have improved at A2, and that may only apply to the exam board I took (and it was 3 years ago) so...

I just wish it had been more about psyschology and less about.. well generic essay-writing "skills". That's why I dropped it.

(Sorry, not to insult anyone actually taking it).

Original post by llys
It's not easy, but memorising information just does not challenge your logical or critical thinking skills very much. As you put it, even the "criticisms" you learn by heart! - you don't develop your own. You are not required to think on your feet in exams. For some people the focus on memorisation makes it a harder subject, for some people it makes it a lot easier.

I think Psychology (and Biology) are not "soft" A-Levels (and they are anyway not at degree level), but they could be made more conceptual (and a lot more fun). For example, instead of being required to regurgitate information, one could put more focus on scientific method (developing and testing hypotheses) and data analysis. Applying what you have memorised from case studies to new and non-intuitive situations.

Yes this exactly this. Especially the boldened bits.

It's not that there is anything wrong with the field of Psychology, if it was done right then I think the A level could be a really challenging/interesting/thoughtful and intelligent subject on some of the introductory elements of Psychology (because it's a massive field). But it just isn't (imo) done in the right way for that to be the case.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by BeanofJelly
The pace was slow, and in essays it was a matter of regurgitating pre-learned arguments about study reliability

It's very different at A2. I cannot stress that enough. 2 x 12 mark essays and short answer questions v.s. five 25 mark essays including synopticity and research methods which include statistical tests...ect.

I understand what you mean though. It was quite frustrating at AS.
Original post by mooniibuggy
It's very different at A2. I cannot stress that enough. 2 x 12 mark essays and short answer questions v.s. five 25 mark essays including synopticity and research methods which include statistical tests...ect.

I understand what you mean though. It was quite frustrating at AS.

The idea of an a-level student having a working knowledge of research methods and statistical analysis is kind of laughable.

The A-level is awful. The academic discipline is not.

/thread.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
The idea of an a-level student having a working knowledge of research methods and statistical analysis is kind of laughable.

The A-level is awful. The academic discipline is not.

/thread.

Yes I agree. But I was pointing out the difference between AS and A2. I don't know why you think it's awful though. I've honestly learned quite a lot. Ah well, each to their own :smile:
Original post by JayTeeKay
Is that the definition of a scientist or the definition of an artist?
A scientist would say that something could only be absolutely defined with numbers.
For example, the colour red is defined as a photon with a frequency of between 400 and 484 THz. A force of 1 newton is described as the force needed to accelerate a mass of 1 Kg by 1 ms^-2 and so on.
Simply defining red as "something that looks similar to this" or saying a force is a "push or a pull" is arbitrary.

Physicists may say that, but I remember hearing (I can't recall the source) that in some places (normally tribal communities that had little or no contact with the 'modern' world when they were looked at), people couldn't tell the difference between blue and green. They would have different frequencies, but these people couldn't reliably tell the difference between them. There is evolutionary psychology - people can perceive things differently. Likewise, with the phonemes /l/ and /r/ (the Japanese cannot reliably tell them apart) and the McGurk effect. Scientifically different, but our brains perceive it as the same

It's not always just physics at work
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Fallen
I suppose I don't necessarily disagree with you completely, but I do find it interesting that you ask us to find facts whilst making very broad, baseless, and unsupported generalisations in the first half of your post.

Ignoring that, these are the reasons why I believe A-Level Psychology is not a 'hard science', anywhere close to on a par with the more traditional sciences.
That said, and as you can see from my other posts in this topic, I do not hold the same, low opinion of Psychology at a higher level. We are talking about A-Level.

1)
It is recognised by Cambridge University under the group of "A-levels of More Limited Suitability ".
Moveover, it is listed as "Psychology (Arts)"
It is not listed as being suitable for STEM (Sci. Tech. Eng. Maths) subjects.
The only subjects "Generally Suitable Science A-levels" are the 2 maths' and the 3 'hard' sciences.
Source

2)
The people at my school who do Psychology are all the lazy, less intelligent people.
I suppose this isn't a verifiable source, so you will just have to take my word for it, but it also appears to be the same at many other schools and colleges from what I have read in this topic.

I don't claim to be an expert on the matter, I don't even do Psychology.
All I can say is that the general consensus from universities and my own school is that it simply isn't a hard science, or even a science at all, at A-Level.

Bah. I wrote out a response then got D/C half way through so you're getting a much shorter response than the original. gutted4u :p:.

1/ lots of Bsci courses out there, variations within reason(due to accreditation) just like any other subject. see experimental psychology @ oxford. all if not most you are expected to carry out some experiments, not sure if its nec. for accreditation, see BPS for more info. Certainly study some Biology!

2/ cause and effect. blah blah.

empirical evidence: me 5 offers all from top 20 unis for a competitive course with 2 'soft' subjects. friend 5 offers, studied drama& something else 'easy', now studies eng @ warwick.

Common sense: If universities had noticed a large discrepancy between people taking 'soft' subjects and 'hard' subjects the above wouldn't be possible.

However university tutors didn't study these subjects themselves and therefore don't trust them fully..
Original post by MartinKellyisagod
Probably because you're...at nottingham :wink:

Tell me about it this Russell group and Universitas 21 uni in the worlds top 100 which is the third most targeted by graduate employers is such a streak of piss when it comes to academia...
Reply 250
I am studying Psychology, History, English Language and English Literature at A Level. I had A* in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology at GCSE. I took Psychology because it sounded interesting and I have not been disappointed. Suggesting that Further Maths students and Psychology students swap and take the other's examination is interesting. The writer states that the Further Maths students would have more chance of getting an A in Psychology than Psychology students getting an A in maths. I wonder what empirical evidence he/she has to back this up. My own observations have led me to believe that some further maths students are actually less able to sit a paper such as History or Psychology and get a high grade because of their very focussed and logical approach to problem solving and examination papers. Psychologe needs an understanding of how to extrapolate from the given scenario and apply common sense and learning to specific situations which do not always have an exact answer. Creative thinking is key. The danger for all of us is in making rather elitist assumptions about which subjects are more important than others. I would have thought the key is how these subjects are used by the individual throughout their lifetime in terms of contributing to the wider society and humanity in general. However, not having taken further Maths I could be wrong, perhaps Mathematics and/or Physics and/or Biology and/or Chemmistry is the actual answer and everything else is "soft".
Reply 251
Fallen you are such a "special" individual. You must love yourself very much and you are obviously so proud of all those wonderful offers you have. I hope you will be very happy with your final choice (and they with you!!):tongue:
Reply 252
Original post by BeanofJelly
Yes this exactly this. Especially the boldened bits.

Thank you. :h:
Reply 253
Psychology is a Social Science. It is not piss easy, those who take it will know, those who don't take it, get off this thread. That is all.
Original post by Legen...dary!!
Guys honestly I don't care what you think. I'm just saying what I believe and I stand by it.

You haven't put your thoughts across as opinion though, you've put them across as fact, so don't be surprised/offended when people correct you!
Original post by justiceisjust
Why?

I want to know what makes people think that Psychology is a soft subject?

Candidates are required to memorise a lot of relevant information and be able to apply the criteria correctly. Candidates are required to learn many Psychological studies, which sometimes include great amounts of details and have to learn criticisms for each topic. How is this easy? There is quite a lot of content to have to memorise which by itself can be perceived as challenging

A2 Psychology - is quite challenging. You have to outline large essays, include many studies and criticisms usually consisting of 3 or more pages all in 25 minutes.
You have to do this for three essays.

The PSYA3 results which came out were not the best set of results nationally. If Psychology was hard shouldn't most people be scoring grade A's and B's?

No trolling. Simply a debate!

Because it doesn't require any indepth learning or putting things into practise. All you need to be able to do is remember things - any dummy can do that.

I was taking psychology up until a few months ago when I dropped it because I found it utterly boring. I was achieving A's and B's without any revision though, so it obviously isn't as hard as other subjects if I was able to pull that off at A level :wink:
Lets not lie, A2 Psychology is **** and if you know your way around the exam, not particularly hard. It is also extremely annoying how much of a shallow depth they go into things in order to try and cram as any areas of the subject as possible into a 2 year course. When I did psychology I felt like the subject was a cocktease. Every time you would touch upon something very interesting, instead of going further you were then forced to learn and contrast the different methodical characteristics or findings between dickweed et al and the boning theory or something.

However read outside of the A-Level and it is an amazingly fascinating subject which is given scorn by people doing biology, because lets face it, everyone of our ego's needs to be fed the idea that it is better then someone elses.

Original post by BradfordCityJoss
What is scientific about conjecture and mysticism?

Because the whole field of psychology comprises of psycho-analysis........... :rolleyes:
Original post by Jadelyndsey
Because it doesn't require any indepth learning or putting things into practise. All you need to be able to do is remember things - any dummy can do that.

Wth? You didn't even finish the A-Level so how can you say that?
Original post by lawology

Original post by lawology
You haven't put your thoughts across as opinion though, you've put them across as fact, so don't be surprised/offended when people correct you!

People didn't correct me, they just said 'Bull.' I'd appreciate it if they could back up what they said instead of just offending me, like they haven't said anything wrong (which I still think I didn't because I do know for a fact that some unis don't consider psych as a tough course). By all means, I don't mind being corrected cz I'm not that kind of person, I do however mind being talked back at with attitude.
Original post by Legen...dary!!
People didn't correct me, they just said 'Bull.' I'd appreciate it if they could back up what they said instead of just offending me, like they haven't said anything wrong (which I still think I didn't because I do know for a fact that some unis don't consider psych as a tough course). By all means, I don't mind being corrected cz I'm not that kind of person, I do however mind being talked back at with attitude.

First off you said Psychology wasn't a science. You were then corrected and told it was. You then said that Universities didn't like it. You were then, again, corrected and told once more that this was not in fact the case. Neither of your two statements were portrayed as opinions, you presented both as fact. You've been corrected several times so I'm not entirely sure why you've just stated 'people didn't correct me' yes, yes they did.

I also LOVE your end sentence. Sorry for talking back 'with attitude'. This is TSR, please don't try and get all gangster, you'll just end up looking silly :rolleyes:
xoxo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending