The Student Room Group

French GCSE revision book (CGP)

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing this CGP book for my french revision.

http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/productDetail.asp?book=FHS43

Would you recommend this book and if not is there another book you would suggest?
Can anyone tell me if it contains exam style questions? I have already asked them for an example of the questions however they said they were unable to provide one.
Finally does anyone know where I can get free past papers for edexcel French?

Thanks.
Reply 1
For past papers, go on the Edexcel website - http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse09/mfl/french/Pages/default.aspx and then choose 'Exam Materials'.
For older specifications, go on this link http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse-leg/lang/french/Pages/default.aspx

If you do the new specification with the controlled assessments in writing and listening, I would not recommened purchasing a revision guide because I doubt this could make a real difference to your grade.. For listening and reading papers, it is more effective to simply do all the past papers you can get your hands on and recording all the words that you don't know and then keep going over and learning these. You could also try learning vocabulary listed in the specification. Also try to expose yourself to as much live French as possbile, for example listen to some French radio in the background or watch French TV, this will help you to get your ear accustomed to French.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Used the book! It's great, it was the best revision book for me for GCSE, it has practice papers in it too!
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies. Just a bit more info,I am doing the edexcel course and there are no controlled assessments. I do 40% in year 10 (listening and reading) and 60% in year 11 (speaking and writing). I have my listening and reading exams coming up this summer

Original post by Lewis :D
Used the book! It's great, it was the best revision book for me for GCSE, it has practice papers in it too!

What exam board did you do and are the papers past offical exam ones?, if so what board?

Original post by Buongiorno
For past papers, go on the Edexcel website - http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse09/mfl/french/Pages/default.aspx and then choose 'Exam Materials'.
For older specifications, go on this link http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse-leg/lang/french/Pages/default.aspx

If you do the new specification with the controlled assessments in writing and listening, I would not recommened purchasing a revision guide because I doubt this could make a real difference to your grade.. For listening and reading papers, it is more effective to simply do all the past papers you can get your hands on and recording all the words that you don't know and then keep going over and learning these. You could also try learning vocabulary listed in the specification. Also try to expose yourself to as much live French as possbile, for example listen to some French radio in the background or watch French TV, this will help you to get your ear accustomed to French.

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at the past papers :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ThePepperRobot
Thanks for the replies. Just a bit more info,I am doing the edexcel course and there are no controlled assessments. I do 40% in year 10 (listening and reading) and 60% in year 11 (speaking and writing). I have my listening and reading exams coming up this summer

What exam board did you do and are the papers past offical exam ones?, if so what board?

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at the past papers :smile:

I do WJEC, and no they're not official ones. They were good practice though
Reply 5
YES! I have the book and it is actually a huge help. Just re-reading it and listening to the CD that comes with it also helps. With a language it's all about listening and reading at the same time - like an audio CD to a book eg. Harry Potter?

Past papers and such help but if you really want to get into the spirit (as I extremely enjoy french) watch films, read articles (I can't understand alot but these websites are good: www.liberation.fr and www.lemonde.fr ) If you want a list of good films I can help there too!

I also listen to french podcasts (coffeebreak french I find is the best. It's a Scottish guy and a student who do grammar and everything.) Or even tune in to french radio...
Reply 6
tbh revision guides aint important for languages/english. I have one for french, i only used it for tenses, for the speaking. As long as your confident with tenses, and know vocab. I would give you mine but postage etc..

Also new GCSE or old? Check the edexcel website for past papers :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DonBorat
tbh revision guides aint important for languages/english. I have one for french, i only used it for tenses, for the speaking. As long as your confident with tenses, and know vocab. I would give you mine but postage etc..

Also new GCSE or old? Check the edexcel website for past papers :smile:

I started the course in September 2010 so that is the new one I take it?

and thanks will do.
Reply 8
I started the course in September 2010 so that is the new one I take it?

and thanks will do.

what you could do instead of a revision guide, is download the specification/syllabus form the website, which has all the topics vocab, key words, tenses etc. On top of that, go through all past papers, even old gsce, extracting vocab and learning them
Reply 9
what you could do instead of a revision guide, is download the specification/syllabus form the website, which has all the topics vocab, key words, tenses etc. On top of that, go through all past papers, even old gsce, extracting vocab and learning them

Ok do you know if controlled assessments are part of the new course? I didn't think I had any although looking on the website it appears there are controlled assessments in the new course . Do they still teach the old specification?

thanks
Reply 10
Ok do you know if controlled assessments are part of the new course? I didn't think I had any although looking on the website it appears there are controlled assessments in the new course . Do they still teach the old specification?

thanks

I did old GCSE French new GCSE German. Both have/had control assessments, however the new GCSE is the best. Both are in controlled conditions and your only allowed a dictionary + 30 word sheet. You should do roughly 5 assessments over the course. they've stopped the old specification this year, it was much harder!
I did old GCSE French new GCSE German. Both have/had control assessments, however the new GCSE is the best. Both are in controlled conditions and your only allowed a dictionary + 30 word sheet. You should do roughly 5 assessments over the course. they've stopped the old specification this year, it was much harder!

Thanks a lot. I think i remember hearing something along the lines of 2 assessments for speaking and 2 for writing, each worth 15%? That would make 60% to go with the 40% from the listening and reading? If that makes sense!
Reply 12
Thanks a lot. I think i remember hearing something along the lines of 2 assessments for speaking and 2 for writing, each worth 15%? That would make 60% to go with the 40% from the listening and reading? If that makes sense!

erm njot sure i think two assemsnts, then the oral is split up into two sections.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending