The Student Room Group

When exam boards simply take the p****

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josh_Dey
Ah, that's fine then :smile:

What have you heard about the Biology exams though?

I heard their Biology papers are unfair like AQA :tongue:
Reply 21
OP spells 'p***' with four asterisks and complains that exam boards are the reason people fail in education. Classic.
apparently one of the reasons why our class did so bad in the AQA phyiscs EMPA was because they had pedantically stupid things that we needed to adhere to like using a '+' instead of a 'x' to mark points on a graph and having to use a solidus instead of parentheses when stating the units of measurement ¬¬
Reply 23
Original post by canthardlywait
AQA especially with there markschemes. For example in the As sciences, how many makrs do people miss out on, just because they didn't write the answer in a specific way. I mean there some almost indentical questions on different papers, which have differences in the mark scheme answer. Surely it's to a point where they're robbing the student of marks.

There markschemes? You don't deserve any bloody marks, even if you study science.

Who wants illiterate scientists?
Edexcel Biology = :facepalm2:.
Reply 25
Try WJEC biology.. **** questions that often have nothing to do with what you've learnt. :sigh:
aqa screwed me over, by marking me down by 5 marks on my chem2 paper ://
AND they've done it again on my chem4 paper!
sooo retakes here i come (btw im not remarking cus the deadline for remaring was before i even got my paper back!)
whata bunch of poos

p.s ALSO mini rant, they raised the grade boundries, so my physics ISA mark went from a B to an E!
so my overall grade went from a B to a C.
fuming.
Reply 27
AQA Biology and Physics, it's painful doing past papers.
Reply 28

Had to do it!
Reply 29
OCR Salters Chemistry
AQA Sociology takes the piss.
Literally one mark between every grade boundry, so mess up on a 2 mark question and you've gone from an A to a C.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by niharika.jha
aqa screwed me over, by marking me down by 5 marks on my chem2 paper ://
AND they've done it again on my chem4 paper!
sooo retakes here i come (btw im not remarking cus the deadline for remaring was before i even got my paper back!)
whata bunch of poos

p.s ALSO mini rant, they raised the grade boundries, so my physics ISA mark went from a B to an E!
so my overall grade went from a B to a C.
fuming.

it's amazing how an exam board, a factor which you cannot control, can affect ones grade so much!

:angry:
Reply 32
Original post by Network
OCR Salters Chemistry

I quite like it :s-smilie:

what do you find that's so bad?
I got my unit 2 biology paper back. There was a question about why a change of base wouldn't change the amino acid. I put 'because acg and agg both code for gly' (or something to that effect). I put gly because that's what it said in the table (there was gly, val, ser etc). I didn't get the mark because I didn't put glycine, even though it was nowhere to be found in the question.
Reply 34

Biology AQA GCE papers are the worst.

**** you how science works
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
**** Edexcel with their horse **** raw marks to UMS conversion.
Original post by Lollyage

Original post by Lollyage
Try WJEC biology.. **** questions that often have nothing to do with what you've learnt. :sigh:

Registered for the sole purpose of giving you rep. A-level bio and chem with WJEC is beyond agonising.
Reply 37
Original post by canthardlywait
AQA especially with there markschemes. For example in the As sciences, how many makrs do people miss out on, just because they didn't write the answer in a specific way. I mean there some almost indentical questions on different papers, which have differences in the mark scheme answer. Surely it's to a point where they're robbing the student of marks.

AQA is dodgy - I agree for Biology it is difficult and annoying. But AQA Maths is nice.

It seems like in Biology they want you to answer something in a certain way but give you no direction as to what they want... esp when they say "suggest" - most exam boards would be pretty flexible as long as you justify your answer but not AQA for Biology :O
Aqa ict
Original post by ilyking
it's amazing how an exam board, a factor which you cannot control, can affect ones grade so much!

:angry:

i know! :frown: so hoping they don't muck up my paper in the summer...i really want to get into my top choice of uni!

Quick Reply

Latest