The Student Room Group

13inch or 15inch macbook pro

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by JonCha
Nice, er, comparisons of a desktop vs laptop. You basically screwed up with your argument and no idea what you were talking.

I have the 2009 13-inch Macbook Pro. Really great laptop. Will be selling it next year when the significant revamp hits, but I think at the moment I will stick with this screen size. I demoed a 15-inch model the other day and I can imagine it being a little big.

Actually it is a laptop. It has a mobile processor, a battery and at the bottom it says "price for this laptop"
Reply 61
Original post by Hartemop
Actually it is a laptop. It has a mobile processor, a battery and at the bottom it says "price for this laptop"

Very true, although I still agree with what JonCha is trying to say.

You are still not comparing like-for-like when it comes to Apple products.
A few things to consider:
- The £755 laptop does not come with proper Office software, Mac does
- The Macbook will comfortably get 7 hours of battery with normal, Wifi enabled, use. The other will not.
- The Macbook is sturdier, and has things like a ridiculously good, large trackpad.
- Upgrading Windows will cost a bunch. OS X upgrades come exceptionally cheap.
- No AV, etc. required with OS X.

I am not saying Macs are everything. I personally have ordered a Dell laptop which will be arriving this friday.
But I bought it for very specific reasons, and I would not tell anybody else that they made the 'wrong' choice if they picked an HP or a Dell.

I am not having a go at you, but I think the guy who suggested you could get a Windows-based Macbook Pro-esque laptop is just plain stupid.
Sorry if that felt like a rant at you, its not.
I've got a Mbp 13" and can highly recommend it. Quiet as anything and functions flawlessly. I've got the 2010 one with the 2.66Ghz processor and it's really good so I'd assume the new 2.7Ghz i5 would be awesome.

I also somehow got 3 years of Apple Care included? I received an e-mail three days after it arrived saying that I had Apple Care for 3 years? Weird eh?
Original post by UniversityLAD

Original post by UniversityLAD
I've got a Mbp 13" and can highly recommend it. Quiet as anything and functions flawlessly. I've got the 2010 one with the 2.66Ghz processor and it's really good so I'd assume the new 2.7Ghz i5 would be awesome.

I also somehow got 3 years of Apple Care included? I received an e-mail three days after it arrived saying that I had Apple Care for 3 years? Weird eh?

3 years free warranty is standard with student-discounted Macs, you don't even need to pick it [=
buy a 13 inch, and with the price difference get a nice monitor for your room.
You sure about that?
Reply 66
Windows 7
Original post by winter_mute

You sure about that?

Almost definitely, I've been told by numerous people that you get free extended warranty, including Apple staff, and I've been through the education store config and never found the option (I bought mine in store). So either you choose it after choosing to proceed to checkout, or it gets tacked on automatically.
I was an Apple employee for some time, and never heard of that. Also I'm on the edu store and can see the applecare add on!
Reply 69
Yeaaa, I'd be careful about getting a Macbook. I've had one for 4 years and within two a bunch of **** went wrong- a number of keys don't work, including the main enter one; i cannot unplug it from the power source without it dying instantly, even with a new battery; it is moody and refuses to connect to my wifi network for years at a time.

I was an Apple employee for some time, and never heard of that. Also I'm on the edu store and can see the applecare add on!

The free extended warranty is different from AppleCare, same level of coverage but without the phone support or home pickup/delivery. That's what gets tacked on for free, AppleCare is still available to buy if you want the extra perks.
Original post by catsss
Yeaaa, I'd be careful about getting a Macbook. I've had one for 4 years and within two a bunch of **** went wrong- a number of keys don't work, including the main enter one; i cannot unplug it from the power source without it dying instantly, even with a new battery; it is moody and refuses to connect to my wifi network for years at a time.

Be honest now, did you spill something in it?
13. Better portablity which trust me is probably the most crucial thing when it comes to owning a laptop
Reply 73
I am ordering my 13inch MacBook Pro on Sunday - exciiiiiiited. How long will it take to arrive so I can play with it? :colone:
Will a 13" play The Sims 3? :blush:
It's the only game I play...

I'd go for the 13". Much better portability and less expensive than the "15... :tongue:
Original post by diamonddust

Original post by diamonddust
Will a 13" play The Sims 3? :blush:
It's the only game I play...

I'd go for the 13". Much better portability and less expensive than the "15... :tongue:

The 13" laughs in the face of The Sims 3, I run it on max settings on my last-gen Pro.
Where did you get your Macbook?
Original post by BigDirty
I am ordering my 13inch MacBook Pro on Sunday - exciiiiiiited. How long will it take to arrive so I can play with it? :colone:

Did you change any of the configurations? If not It'll be coming from Ireland and should take 2-3 days max. You can track where the package is in your apple store account btw.

Where did you get your Macbook?

^^^There =P
Apple Store, Birmingham
Original post by Fusilero
From my personal experience, don't get a MacBook Pro. Right after my Warranty ran out the glass screen cover cracked, the new one wasn't able to adhere to the screen and I had to stick it together with black tape (not before dust went inside all over the place), some of the function keys have stopped working, one of the USB ports (out of two) has failed, the disc drive has completely failed, the heat dispersal system is causing the plastic beneath the screen to crack and break away, the batteries die the moment they're unplugged and one of the speakers have fizzed away.

In other news, OS X is sexeh and the physical design is brilliant.

um did you not look after it properly?? :rolleyes:

sorry it's just the amount of times people say 'oh apple sucks that's why my macbook pro broke arrghhh' then it turns out they dropped it or split orange juice on it :rolleyes:

On another note, did you not think to take it in for a genius bar appointment? Yes the warranty has run out, but that doesn't mean that they can't help you. And it's another reason to consider apple care.

(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending