The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Accomodation in Lincoln (because it hasn't been asked enough already!)

Hey there :smile:

I've got an unconditional offer to study English & Journalism at the University of Lincoln in 2011/12 (yay!) so I'm starting to think about accommodation. I am conscious of cost and also how sociable a halls is - having visited mates in halls I've found the more people in a flat, the more sociable it seems!

Having had a good look through them all I think my first choice would be Brayford Courts - I'm a sucker for a double bed, and it seems pretty close to the action! Does anyone have any experience as to how sociable a place it is to live? My only downside really is the lack of en-suite, not sure I'd love that too much...

Danesgate house seems a bit too far from the campus possibly, although it's really cheap and looks a bit grotty, someone I spoke to at the open day reckoned it was a good place to live if you're up for a party!

Park court and Brayford Quay also seemed nice and if people think they're worth it I'd happily pay the extra - the en-suite alone is almost enough to sway me - any insight as to how sociable they tend to be would also be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance...!
x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey.. I am a fresher at Lincoln this year, so was in your position this time last year!

I live in Pavilions, which although everyone says is pricey, I think its well worth it! Double beds, en-suite and right next to Student Courts (on-campus accommodation). Its pretty sociable too, and from this September all freshers are being put together in flats near each other.

I know people who live in Brayford Court, and it is quite sociable, but not nearly as much as the on-campus Courts or Pavilions.

All accommodation is pretty close to the action to be honest, with the exception of Danesgate. I wouldn't stay there if you can afford somewhere else; its not great!

Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Currently living in Pavilions, as a second year and it is rather amazing! Would encourage anyone looking to go for Pavs. It is a wee bit expensive but it is not as expensive as the "on campus" courts and pavs is about 2,000% better. You get so much more for your money!
Original post by BigH91
Currently living in Pavilions, as a second year and it is rather amazing! Would encourage anyone looking to go for Pavs. It is a wee bit expensive but it is not as expensive as the "on campus" courts and pavs is about 2,000% better. You get so much more for your money!

I applied for Pavs as my 1st choice. I appliced only a day after recieving my forms, which was in November/December time. Do you think I stand a pretty good chance? I'm a 1st year undergrad by the way.
Reply 4
Original post by hkwilson
Hey.. I am a fresher at Lincoln this year, so was in your position this time last year!

I live in Pavilions, which although everyone says is pricey, I think its well worth it! Double beds, en-suite and right next to Student Courts (on-campus accommodation). Its pretty sociable too, and from this September all freshers are being put together in flats near each other.

I know people who live in Brayford Court, and it is quite sociable, but not nearly as much as the on-campus Courts or Pavilions.

All accommodation is pretty close to the action to be honest, with the exception of Danesgate. I wouldn't stay there if you can afford somewhere else; its not great!

Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:

does that mean that if I have applied for Danesgate then I am unlikely to get it and will probly be put somewhere with other freshers and more expensive?
Reply 5
Danesgate is gross, don't go there. It's not comfy at all, beds are smaller than a single and you share bathrooms with 14 other people in a flat. There are those weird silverfish bugs in occasional places and euuugh. Just don't go there. Everything is so outdated and it has that damp musty smell, you know what I mean? And the windows are probably less than single glazed so you can always hear EVERYTHING outside, which is just irritating.

My brother lived in Pavillions and that was ace! Double beds, ensuite, flats in groups of 5/6, and the living room areas were really nice and sociable, whereas in Danesgate there isn't any communal living space aside from the manky kitchen. It may seem more expensive but compared to other unis it is really cheap. Very modern, very comfortable.

Lincoln Courts are really nice aswell. I know about 10 people who lived there this year and loved it. Single beds, but awesome power showers in their ensuites, and the social areas were always a great place to be, and everywhere smells nice. Very secure.

I know a few people who were in the Junxion aswell, although this is the one I've never been in, but they took pictures of their rooms for me. Large space, double beds, plenty of storage, and the people who end up living there seem to be very friendly. Aaaand you're just around the corner from Pizza Hut...

Sorry for the massive essay, it's just that everyone I know from school has ended up at Lincoln uni ahaa. I hope this helps.
Original post by C. Nworb

I know a few people who were in the Junxion aswell, although this is the one I've never been in, but they took pictures of their rooms for me. Large space, double beds, plenty of storage, and the people who end up living there seem to be very friendly. Aaaand you're just around the corner from Pizza Hut...

Sorry for the massive essay, it's just that everyone I know from school has ended up at Lincoln uni ahaa. I hope this helps.

Junxions nice. Right next to Tower Bar/Engine Shed and Glasshouse. Also right next to the High street, 5 mins walk to the railway and the rest of shopping areas. Security seemed really nice too (I got locked out of that place twice in one night...).
Reply 7
Original post by lozzyhickers
I applied for Pavs as my 1st choice. I appliced only a day after recieving my forms, which was in November/December time. Do you think I stand a pretty good chance? I'm a 1st year undergrad by the way.

My first choice is Pavs,
there's over 500 rooms for freshers that have been reserved so i think you stand a good chance as do i :smile:
Original post by 3collinso
My first choice is Pavs,
there's over 500 rooms for freshers that have been reserved so i think you stand a good chance as do i :smile:

Yup, i'm probably at less of an advantage though as I haven't applied for en-suite, i've applied for a studio. But I applied increadiby early so i'll probably be ok.
Reply 9
Omg.. please whatever you do do not pick danesgate.. yuk!! i am going to lincoln uni this september.. i just finished at lincoln college. So i know. first of all danesgate is not accomodation for only uni students you end up living with some lowlife people who the council give rooms there and end up sharing bathrooms and even loos with about 18 people. Eww. And one tiny ass bed even smaller than a single and also it stink as hell... I know cause i had a mate from college living there.. that said. My first choice was pavillions. Because thats the best!! My sister was there you get double beds, fully rugged rooms nice baths and showers.. etc and it isint gross.
Reply 10
Damn mad flames on danesgate, im living there next year and when i stayed with my ex last year in danesgate it wasnt bad, sharing bathrooms with 18+ is exaggerated theres quite a lot of bathrooms and kitchens per hallway thing, that said though i will be living/last year stayed nights in a little area of about 4 people and not in the big area with everyone else. Even so im happy with dangestae next year if i do my room up nicely
Reply 11
Danesgate isn't the best the building looks dodgy, it looks like a place you wouldn't want to go at night.

I actually have a bit of interest in when people find out where they are even though I will be in my 2nd year this year and I have a house. I want to see who ends up in my apartment from last year this year so I can feel sorry for them :ninja:
Reply 12
Oh **** I'm worried now. I can't remember what order I choose the accommodating in now and I put roughly cheaper to more expensive I just hope I didn't choose Danesgate. I did put some thought into it at the time but forgot everything now lol.
Reply 13
Original post by Elliot.93
Oh **** I'm worried now. I can't remember what order I choose the accommodating in now and I put roughly cheaper to more expensive I just hope I didn't choose Danesgate. I did put some thought into it at the time but forgot everything now lol.

It's honestly not that bad from what ive seen, my ex gf had a nice room and stuff which helps but i stayed in student village last year and i prefer dangesgate to be honest :\, its A LOT cheaper yet rooms are bigger, they all have advantages/disadvantages but overall i think ill be happy in danesgate next year, hopefully anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by Smileawaythethunder
Hey there :smile:

I've got an unconditional offer to study English & Journalism at the University of Lincoln in 2011/12 (yay!) so I'm starting to think about accommodation. I am conscious of cost and also how sociable a halls is - having visited mates in halls I've found the more people in a flat, the more sociable it seems!

Having had a good look through them all I think my first choice would be Brayford Courts - I'm a sucker for a double bed, and it seems pretty close to the action! Does anyone have any experience as to how sociable a place it is to live? My only downside really is the lack of en-suite, not sure I'd love that too much...

Danesgate house seems a bit too far from the campus possibly, although it's really cheap and looks a bit grotty, someone I spoke to at the open day reckoned it was a good place to live if you're up for a party!

Park court and Brayford Quay also seemed nice and if people think they're worth it I'd happily pay the extra - the en-suite alone is almost enough to sway me - any insight as to how sociable they tend to be would also be appreciated.

Thankyou in advance...!
x

I finished uni in lincoln in 2010 but from my experiances - Pavs for luxury and still rather sociable - not heard much good re park court and Danesgate is not too far out, 5min walk on a slow day BUT it is old grotty and damp looking! also I have never known a student stay there.
Brayford quays are alright but not much socially. I loved my time in courts and wouldnt change it for the world
Reply 15
Original post by Aidan90
does that mean that if I have applied for Danesgate then I am unlikely to get it and will probly be put somewhere with other freshers and more expensive?

Sorry for the late reply - Been away.. No I just meant that all freshers in Pavilions are being put together.. You should get your place in Danesgate fine :smile:
well i've lived in danesgate and this will be my third year. i bought a double bed, there are two kitchens and four bathrooms and the rooms are huge. also people aren't stuck up and yes they are ready to party.
it's about 10 minute walk from campus also, but if you want luxary then i suggest the junction or pavillions.
Reply 17
Original post by hkwilson
Sorry for the late reply - Been away.. No I just meant that all freshers in Pavilions are being put together.. You should get your place in Danesgate fine :smile:

no worries, everything is sorted now anyway. woman from danesgate called me up and said a room had become vacant so i've definitely got 1. cant wait to move in.
Reply 18
Original post by vickivanity
well i've lived in danesgate and this will be my third year. i bought a double bed, there are two kitchens and four bathrooms and the rooms are huge. also people aren't stuck up and yes they are ready to party.
it's about 10 minute walk from campus also, but if you want luxary then i suggest the junction or pavillions.

i think i'm gonna struggle going back to a single bed :tongue: what is the gym like in the building? is there equipment there already or do you have to bring your own?
Original post by Aidan90
i think i'm gonna struggle going back to a single bed :tongue: what is the gym like in the building? is there equipment there already or do you have to bring your own?

well with the 2k you save you can buy a double bed :smile: hehe
i'm not too sure, the gym is pretty **** really. there's one just past the campus near the student village however which i think is pretty cheap, but as for the gym (if/when you look around danesgate) you should ask to see! its basically a big empty room with random things in there.. lol. i didn't do a good job of explaining i know D:
what room is bernie putting you in do you know?

Quick Reply

Latest