The Student Room Group

David Cameron is a muppet.

Oxford University has hit back at the prime minister after he said only one black UK student began a course there in 2009 and called it "disgraceful".

The university said David Cameron had been "incorrect and highly misleading", and that at least 26 black British undergraduates started that year.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13041885

Scroll to see replies

LOL Great difference
Do not call Mr Cameron a muppet- it is unkind to the puppet characters who have given pleasure to millions.
I don't particularly think that student are excluded on the basis of their ethnic origin, apart from in cases where students of certain ethnicities are accepted to fill a "quota"... If there are less black students attending, I'd assume it's because there's a smaller proportion of black student than white students applying with the adequate standard, either due to personal ability or educational background. So what Cameron is saying is that there should be a minimum number of black students allowed to attend independent of whether these people are the most suitable candidates for the places?
Original post by barnetlad
Do not call Mr Cameron a muppet- it is unkind to the puppet characters who have given pleasure to millions.

Rock on!:adore:
OK he got his numbers wrong...

but is it just me...cause i was really surprised that oxford accepted only 26 black candidates!!!
"At least 26" :rofl:
Original post by Mrcontroversy
OK he got his numbers wrong...

but is it just me...cause i was really surprised that oxford accepted only 26 black candidates!!!

Or perhaps relatively few applied?
Original post by Seasick Steve

Original post by Seasick Steve
Or perhaps relatively few applied?

This.

Who cares about the ethnicity of the students there?

The best students should go there, not to fill up some stupid quota.
Reply 9
A muppet? Talk about about an understatement!
Reply 10
Oh my gosh, a politician got a relativley inconsequential figure wrong. He must be teh stupidest!!!!11!11!!!

Really? Really? There are a million instances far worse at your finger tips with regards to Milliband, Bliar and Brown.
Irrespective of this (because this is clearly just Cameron trying to appear to care) he is an idiot. Remember when he said "Too many tweets make a ****?" he should have just replaced the first four words with "I'm a" would have been perfect
Original post by im so academic
This.

Who cares about the ethnicity of the students there?

The best students should go there, not to fill up some stupid quota.

Spot on.

Why are there even statistics kept on this? If I ever, ever fill in a form where it asks for my ethnicity I tick Other. None of anyone's bloody business.

Stick to running the country, Dave.
Original post by Evangelica
Irrespective of this (because this is clearly just Cameron trying to appear to care) he is an idiot. Remember when he said "Too many tweets make a ****?" he should have just replaced the first four words with "I'm a" would have been perfect

Ouch! How long did it take you to come up with that gem? :rolleyes:
i just wanted to say that i agree that David Cameron is a muppet!
Reply 16
Its not about the acutal article, seems to me all this bloody politicans are a bunch of dip**** liars.

First is the knobhead Clegg who breaks his promise and then tries justifying it by 'Please Oxbridge, accept dummer kids from worse areas' - yes, please ruin the top universty by checking them with people who possibly are *****, yes we should accept people from poorer areas but not people who clearly are 'dumb' and don't deserve to go Oxbridge.

Then EMA, and now this idiot is lying to the public, seriously wtf?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I lolled at the thread title,

then at this,
Original post by barnetlad

and then again at this,
Original post by sandeep90

This however, I agree with:
Original post by Danielle89
I don't particularly think that student are excluded on the basis of their ethnic origin, apart from in cases where students of certain ethnicities are accepted to fill a "quota"... If there are less black students attending, I'd assume it's because there's a smaller proportion of black student than white students applying with the adequate standard, either due to personal ability or educational background. So what Cameron is saying is that there should be a minimum number of black students allowed to attend independent of whether these people are the most suitable candidates for the places?
Is he suggesting Oxford are racist?
Original post by Steevee
Oh my gosh, a politician got a relativley inconsequential figure wrong. He must be teh stupidest!!!!11!11!!!

Really? Really? There are a million instances far worse at your finger tips with regards to Milliband, Bliar and Brown.

Why must people turn everything into a labour vs Tory situation? You can never accept it when people say something mildly negative against Cameron. Which is just silly. Realise that people have different political views to you, don't fight it just accept it. Debate about policies sure, but allow people to critise one party without getting all pissy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending