The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to get over first serious relationship?

Poll

How long did it take you to get over first gf/bf

Just wondering how long it took you guys to get over your first relationship/love/gf/bf.

Just came out of mine, been with her for a year and it took about 2 months to not have any emotions when thinking about her.

She found someone else and I'm single pringle, but I'm happier that way :biggrin:

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only just got over mine from about a year and a bit ago, although it didn't end particularly well let's just say...

Although meeting her at a house party and clearing a load of things up has helped enormously and I don't really think/care about it any more.
Does rape count as a serious relationship? In which case does time spent in prison count as "time getting over it"?
About one hour later when friends took me strip club.
I've never had one, and I'm bl***y glad!
two weeks, harsh but it wasnt exactly a healthy relationship
Reply 6
I'm not sure but i voted 1 year +

i didn't complete a year though from breaking up with bf
but still there is some thing (i don't know how to describe it)
it's not like regretting my decision but there is some memories and feelings sometime..

i think it's natural for we've been together for 7 years ><
Reply 7
I'm not sure, but went for 1 year+... I was only with the guy for 8 months but I was young and it was a bit of a whirlwind romance. Ended really badly and I felt totally heartbroken. Sometimes even now I feel totally crappy about it, and I know if I ever saw him around I'd feel really upset, but I do feel like I'm over him. Bah.
My forst serious relationship lasted 18 months and it was about 4 months later that i met my next bf.
Reply 9
Then again, meeting someone else helps you get over them real quick.

The girl I was with left me for another guy, so that sucked and she got over me really fast.

I just spent the last two months convincing myself that I'm better off without her and that shes ruined her life by going with her current bf (dudes going to prison like twice and virtually unemployable with his criminal record) so I think I'm the one better off :biggrin:
id been with him 3 years. took me less than a month. i just ******* hated him lol.
with a guy for over 6 months. it was very intense and he was very serious about it. i got too attached to him.
3 months and i'm still not over him. or maybe i just miss being so close ot someone.
Reply 12
We never went out, but he was my first 'love'. It took around 2 years to fully get over him though.
Original post by Kikaykun
Just wondering how long it took you guys to get over your first relationship/love/gf/bf.

Just came out of mine, been with her for a year and it took about 2 months to not have any emotions when thinking about her.

She found someone else and I'm single pringle, but I'm happier that way :biggrin:

Thoughts?

6 months on and still not over him. He is still with the girl he ditched me for 6months ago. He still says he loves and cares about me and **** :/. It sucks:biggrin:
Reply 14
Have never been in a long term relationship, but have been trying to get over the same guy for about 2 years. Which tells me I probably shouldn't be in a relationship, it is troublesome enough trying to not develop feelings without being a couple. I think I will sacrifice the possible happy moments of a relationship to avoid the inevitable pain.
Reply 15
Do you ever really get over someone you loved deeply?

I mean ok you might be in a relationship with someone else you also love, they might also be with someone else, you might not talk to them anymore or have any form of contact with them but when they cross your mind for a moment and you smile at yourself - in which category does that go in?

I don't believe you truly ever leave someone or that matter some place that you love. You always have a part of them with you, if not in any other form but in form of a memory....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by DeepStar
Do you ever really get over someone you loved deeply?

I mean ok you might be in a relationship with someone else you also love, they might also be with someone else, you might not talk to them anymore or have any form of contact with them but when they cross your mind for a moment and you smile at yourself - in which category does that go in?

I don't believe you truly ever leave someone or that matter some place that you love. You always have a part of them with you, if not in any other form but in form of a memory....

Yeah I understand you, I get that feeling from time to time about her. Like the other day, I was on sitting on the bus and I smelt her perfume on someone else and I freaked out as I thought she got on the same bus.

But its kinda different when the person you 'love/loved' leaves you for someone else. There's more hate and anger in that situation than a friendly 'I don't think we are working out' break up.

Sure I think about her from time to time and reminisce about the good memories together, but shes moved on with her life so theres no point on me clinging on to the past. I will hopefully meet someone who will give me even better memories :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I was with my ex for about four years and I think I'm over it after about ten months, but I still think about her often so god knows?!
Reply 18
Original post by Kikaykun
Yeah I understand you, I get that feeling from time to time about her. Like the other day, I was on sitting on the bus and I smelt her perfume on someone else and I freaked out as I thought she got on the same bus.

But its kinda different when the person you 'love/loved' leaves you for someone else. There's more hate and anger in that situation than a friendly 'I don't think we are working out' break up.

Sure I think about her from time to time and reminisce about the good memories together, but shes moved on with her life so theres no point on me clinging on to the past. I will hopefully meet someone who will give me even better memories :smile:

Its one of the reasons why most people that end on bad terms, sometimes regret how it ended because when they think about them, it wasn't all bad. My grandmother is very cheesy when it comes to such things and believe you shouldn't regret anything that makes you happy. You grow because of that experience.

It is different when the person leaves you but even then, I don't think I'd feel anger but more upset. Then again, whilst some good things come to an end, others don't even start so I should learn to be more appreciative I guess.

It's human nature to reminisce about the good memories. And its good that you have hope to meet someone who will give you even better memories that you will cherish together. I hope you find her :smile:
Reply 19
These things can take any amount of time depending on you, how the relationship ended and what calibre of relationship it was. I reckon upwards of 6 months, but finding someone else can really help things, if you're willing to open up your heart again and you're not simply terrified of being hurt again.
Best of luck getting over her lad.
I hope it's quick for you
Regards,
Samuel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending