The Student Room Group

Ban on gay men donating blood to be lifted

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Going to try and post up here without getting an unfair warning!!!

Am a first aider, having held my badge I have been requested to go and get a few blood checks cause of several incidents involving blood from a HepB person.

Now firstly, they person did inform me of this before I treated him, but as I was already wearing gloves, and was only doing basic treatment till he got to the doc's, I wasn't worried at all.

But they guy we were working for requested it, and so I used the GUM clinic to have this done, only to be told that if it was recent contact it would not show up till after 6 months, had the tests done, for all, not just the HepB, and I was right, I was clear!

I do not give blood as of yet, that is due to me not being as healthy as I could be, I do want to, but until I lose a little of this excess weight and get myself healthy again, I wont waste the time of the transfusion place in having to screen my (possibly) unhealthy blood!

As for the blanket ban, if they can screen it completely, then great, the LGBT folks are always outside the Donor banks in the town when they have a drive on "Please give blood as we are not allowed to, Thanks". But if there is still a risk, am not so sure! Better screening is definitely required here.
Reply 21
Bit late with their April 1 stunt, aren't they? I'll say this for the Coalition. They give us plenty of reason to laugh. Sadly, the laughter of despair.
Reply 22
Original post by NeonSkies
I've never really understood why gay men were unable to donate in the first place. Heterosexuals can catch HIV too, and the blood from all donors is tested for HIV and other diseases every time.

I'm all for the blanket ban for being lifted. There isn't enough blood to go around.

Because gay men are at a disproportionately high risk of having HIV - it's at a higher prevalence in the gay community than the general population, there is a culture of promiscuity in some parts of the gay community and anal sex is a higher risk route of transmission than vaginal.

Of course, there are plenty of promiscuous straight people and you don't have to be gay to have anal sex etc, but the stats are very clear that gay men as a group are at higher risk.

I have thought that the blanket ban was unfair for a long time, but I think that to deny the risks is stupid.
Original post by .Ali.
Because I believe in minimising the risk whereever possible, and whilst determining high risk groups is difficult, it's clear that homosexual or bisexual men have a higher risk.

But then again, I'm very paranoid about hospital risks due to a hospital cock-up when I was little, so I'm possibly oversensitive to the issue. :colonhash:

The blood is tested every time for many different diseases like HIV before it is transfused to a patient, so you really shouldn't need to worry.

Who can donate blood should be in the best interests of potential recipients, not the donors, but since people can lie about medical histories, where they have been, their sexual activities etc. I do not see why there should be a ban on all homosexuals for donating blood just because there is a slightly higher risk of contracting HIV.
This is appalling. Genuinely appalling. When hetrosexuals that have had sex with someone they know to be HIV+ can give blood after a year and a homosexual who practices safe sex cannot give blood at all you have to wonder if it is a lack of logic or blatant discrimination on the part of the blood service.
How soon can HIV be detected after being caught?

I personally think it would be better if it was something like "If you hadn't had gay sex for the the amount of time above and have a negative HIV you should be allowed to give blood"

Although I've got plenty of gay friends who donate blood anyway and just lie.

Plus I think it's unfair because plenty of girls who have sex with guys and they may not know if the guys have a previous sexual history with other guys etc. yet they can still donate blood.
Reply 26
The blood is tested every time for many different diseases like HIV before it is transfused to a patient, so you really shouldn't need to worry.

Who can donate blood should be in the best interests of potential recipients, not the donors, but since people can lie about medical histories, where they have been, their sexual activities etc. I do not see why there should be a ban on all homosexuals for donating blood just because there is a slightly higher risk of contracting HIV.

if you are still regularly doing something that puts you at risk you could have HIV and it not show up. you will be infected.. and infectious for a few months before anything will show up on blood tests. which is why a wait is required after getting tattoos and piercings and should be after ALL unprotected sex not just gay sex
Original post by boba
if you are still regularly doing something that puts you at risk you could have HIV and it not show up. you will be infected.. and infectious for a few months before anything will show up on blood tests. which is why a wait is required after getting tattoos and piercings and should be after ALL unprotected sex not just gay sex

Yeah this is true, when I went to give blood I found I couldn't after I had had a piercing within 12 weeks or something I can't quite remember how long the wait was.

There's just the issue of people lying on their forms about having unprotected sex and everything else.
Wait, I don't get this:

"Sexually active" homosexuals are at risk of contracting HIV, so they are not allowed to donate blood. On the contrary, "sexually active" heterosexuals are at risk of contracting HIV as well, but they are allowed to donate blood. :confused:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
How soon can HIV be detected after being caught?

I personally think it would be better if it was something like "If you hadn't had gay sex for the the amount of time above and have a negative HIV you should be allowed to give blood"

Although I've got plenty of gay friends who donate blood anyway and just lie.

Plus I think it's unfair because plenty of girls who have sex with guys and they may not know if the guys have a previous sexual history with other guys etc. yet they can still donate blood.

You can't, there's a section on the form where it asks whether you have had sex with a man who has had sexual intercourse with another man within the last 6 months or something of the like if I remember rightly.
10 years what? I thought it took 6 months for HIV to test positive?
You can't, there's a section on the form where it asks whether you have had sex with a man who has had sexual intercourse with another man within the last 6 months or something of the like if I remember rightly.

Yep, but with the amount of one night stands that happen, I doubt every girl asks every guy "Have you ever had sex with a guy before?"
Reply 32
Original post by thegodofgod
Wait, I don't get this:

"Sexually active" homosexuals are at risk of contracting HIV, so they are not allowed to donate blood. On the contrary, "sexually active" heterosexuals are at risk of contracting HIV as well, but they are allowed to donate blood. :confused:

Sexually active heterosexuals are at much lower risk (possibly with the exception of sex with people from sub-Saharan Africa) of contracting HIV, as I have explained above.

And if you banned sexually active heteros from donating blood, the system would collapse and patients would start dying very quickly.
Reply 33
10 years is a long time to abstain to give blood, I think i'll pass
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yep, but with the amount of one night stands that happen, I doubt every girl asks every guy "Have you ever had sex with a guy before?"

Exactly, that's the problem with these forms.
Reply 35
Yeah this is true, when I went to give blood I found I couldn't after I had had a piercing within 12 weeks or something I can't quite remember how long the wait was.

There's just the issue of people lying on their forms about having unprotected sex and everything else.

yes but the issue of people lying if the question said "have you had unprotected sex in the last x amount of time" would be no greater than the risk of gay people lying surely?
Exactly, that's the problem with these forms.

Indeed! Which is why I feel it is rather unjust.
Reply 37
There must be some scientific reasoning behind this. Blood stocks are low and the government are hardly going to ban Gay people giving blood out of homophobia
Reply 38
Oh for ****s sake. More aids. Great. If theres a higher risk, why the hell would they allow it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
Because gay men are at a disproportionately high risk of having HIV - it's at a higher prevalence in the gay community than the general population, there is a culture of promiscuity in some parts of the gay community and anal sex is a higher risk route of transmission than vaginal.

Of course, there are plenty of promiscuous straight people and you don't have to be gay to have anal sex etc, but the stats are very clear that gay men as a group are at higher risk.

I have thought that the blanket ban was unfair for a long time, but I think that to deny the risks is stupid.

Nice stereotyping there. Also there are probably far more promiscuous straight people, seeing as the population of gay people is far lower than straight people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending