The Student Room Group

Shaving

Hi

Just saw a thread about how often people shave and was wondering what people use to shave...

Personally I use an electric shaver but thats only because I've never been shown how to use a razor - what actually is the advantage of using a razor (most people seem to) and are they hard to use?

Thanks!
Reply 1
If you've got a beard or more than a few days stubble, electric shavers are good. That's all they're good for though. You get a smoother shave with a normal razor, they are very easy to use just dont cut yourself kai
Reply 2
Never owned anything electric, a disposable razor will get you a better shave and costs hardly anything. Some guys find using them irritating though, if you've got sensitive skin etc etc.
Reply 3
I used to use an electric shaver but changed to a razor. Personally it just 'feels' better to use a razor. It's not particularly hard to use. Moisten the skin, apply shaving cream, shave the cream off with the razor while occasionally washing it off in the sink. Place aftershave after completely finishing.
Reply 4
Fusion all the way
Original post by M1F2R3
Fusion all the way

Cartridges bare £££ though

Original post by Blatant Troll

Ebay ftw :cool:
Reply 7
I've never understood why people buy those kinds of razors. A disposable one does the exact same job...?!
Reply 8
Original post by Blatant Troll

True dat, smooth shave though.
ingrown hairs are a bitch when using normal razor

damn i went from electric to normal for one shave for a day or 2 you'll be fine then bang

so i think i'll be stickin to my electric razor
Reply 10
i use a fusion too. bought a load of cartridges off amazon a few months back for £20. lasted forever. i think its not too different in price to disposable. i find they only last a shave or two before getting really irritating. but i can keep a fusion cartridge in for a month and i find the shave much much better than disposable.
ive never used an electric though.
I have an electric shaver (came free with my FHM subscription) and all I use it for are trimming my sideburns.

My dad taught me how to shave and has this fancy onyx razor (that takes Mach blades). My dad uses proper shaving foam and a badger hair brush (the works basically). Personally I'll only do that for a special occasion. Real Shaving Co. shaving cream and a Mach 3. Make sure you moisturise properly afterwards.

Personally I don't like fusion. The shave is too close and it feels odd for me all day.

My dad taught me how to shave (he was proper excited about it :confused:) but I'm sure if you go on youtube there will be hundreds of videos on how to do it. I hate electric shavers personally. They make my face hot.
Reply 12
I use an electric razor shaver of the time but if i want to make a particular effort I'll use a razor as the shave is that much closer. The main reason for using electric is time saving, i can look presentable within 90 secs with an electric where as it is considerably more whilst wet shaving.

Just remember never to move the head side side as you will end up with holes in your face.
I use an electric razor because I am genetically unable to grow anything to facebeard proportions. So instead of going through the effort of putting on shaving foam, shaving, washing my face and all that I just shave and balm.
Reply 14
I've got a quattro and a fusion, but only use the quattro, as I can't afford the cartridges for fusion:frown: . I hate using an electric razor. I brought one, used it once, and have left it at the back of my cupboard since then.
With a normal "wet" shave, the razors irritate my skin :frown:
But with electric razors, the shave is never close enough :frown:

Is all lose for me!
Reply 16
Original post by RequiemForADream
With a normal "wet" shave, the razors irritate my skin :frown:

If you use a shaving foam try moving to an oil or an unscented gel this can lead to much less irritation, maybe even try just using hot water if your skin is real bad
I use razors and electric shavers depending upon how long I've gone without shaving.
Original post by iLurch
If you use a shaving foam try moving to an oil or an unscented gel this can lead to much less irritation, maybe even try just using hot water if your skin is real bad

I do use foam actually!
I'll give your suggestions a go
Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending